1948 Dodge Panel Truck: "The Brick Hauler".........

I'm starting this thread as a marker of sorts. I'm working on a few different projects right now, but have my Panel Truck heavy on my mind. I'm sure it will be a few more years til it becomes what I hope for, but having a place to post small wins, is better than nothing.

I bought the truck in 2010 and have felt for awhile it would be a parts truck. As time has past, I've never seem to have the money when a great deal shows up in the area....and when I do have the money I miss out on closing a deal. So for now, I'm going to look at the 48 Panel I have as THE truck to build. I've collected parts for the project including a 92 dakota frame. This is my plan so far.

1992 Dakota frame

2006 Hemi/tranny

2006 seats/ interior guages/ steering, etc.

Purpose: Tow the "The Brick" to the Bonneville Salt Flats. (12 hour trip for me)

I'll be watching for a wrecked 2006 Ram 1500 donor.  

A pair of rear fenders (may have to cut down some stock round ones)

And maybe a better Panel to start with.....

48D    

Picture story from 2010 - present to follow.

My feeling is, that with this hull.....I won't mind modifing it so much.

But looking at other trucks isn't out of the question.

Wonder if Ritzville might be to far. Is that near your location?

The one I have now I drove 400 miles one way for..... :huh:

48D

Tim, this would be the perfect panel. It's a retired US Mail truck with the steering wheel, etc., on the UK side. It is RUST FREE and a complete truck.  WIth a new fuel pump, fresh fuel and a good battery, it would start and drive.  I would own it but it is in Western NE near the Colorado border. 

DodgemailTruck_zpsf9791e34.jpg

Tim, this would be the perfect panel. It's a retired US Mail truck with the steering wheel, etc., on the UK side. It is RUST FREE and a complete truck.  WIth a new fuel pump, fresh fuel and a good battery, it would start and drive.  I would own it but it is in Western NE near the Colorado border. 

PP..on the UK side..will the guy be able to get it back from the UK in order to sell it along with the rest of the truck?  (mail truck is the key here) If you really wanted the thing...Colorado is not a long drive and transports go to and rom daily...or just admit this is exercising first chapter of Tire Kickers 101 

Me a tire kicker? Currently have a '52 B3B, '53 and '54 Plymouth Suburbans, '59 Studebaker truck, 97 Chrysler, and a 08 Honda oh yes, a 79 Yamaha 175 Enduro. TIRE KICKER, ME?

Fargo: Sarah Palin said the difference between a hog and a hockey mom is "lipstick". Same applies to a old truck restorer, we don't put on 'lipstick' either.  lol. Whatever that means.

lol.....thanks for the suggestion Paul, but for now the one I have is the plan. If I do consider buying a different one, it'll be around here...say, within 200 miles, and a steal.

Frank Elder sent a few pictures with a PT Crusier dash...looks friggin awesome. 

The fist few pictures are of the 48 Panel the day I picked it up in Hemet, Ca

48D

BqJdwFWkKGrHqMH-CUEuN4MRrlZBLuhPDyH_3_zp

100_4525_zps45ca84d8.jpg

100_4537_zps98433ea0.jpg

100_4539_zps0e3524c1.jpg100_4540_zps90ade058.jpg100_4541_zpsdc517765.jpg

The guy I bought the Panel off of is a Police officer in Hemet.....had a great time joking around with him. And of course, once the Panel was loaded it was time to sit in the Durango squad car...lol.

Pictures are from 2010

48D  

Hemet, isn't that more than 200 miles from Clement?  Two tone the exiting dash. Put black on the top and black and white checker board pattern across the face. Would look 'smash'. . 

I've got to find a 'spacer' so I can use that wheel in my truck. It just fits the dash two tone so nice, IMHO.

Dashintrucktest003_zps3377c1d1.jpg

Edited by pflaming

Tim other than the missing rear fenders that looks like a pretty straight forward project truck. We'll keep looking for those!

pflaming, on 25 May 2014 - 08:38 AM, said:

Me a tire kicker? Currently have a '52 B3B, '53 and '54 Plymouth Suburbans, '59 Studebaker truck, 97 Chrysler, and a 08 Honda oh yes, a 79 Yamaha 175 Enduro. TIRE KICKER, ME?

YES..IF..you post a car/truck and say it would be nice to have it and then list some lame excuse for not getting it..you are a TIRE KICKER

Hey thanks Ed, appreciate you and Mark keeping an eye out for me. Tough thing is in 2010 I was just learning the panel trucks and didn't realize that the fenders were missing.

48D

Yeah... I do my best not to be a tire kicker when I look at someone's car that's for sale whether it's on craigslist eBay or local. If I don't plan on buying it, I say that right upfront and then talk about the car or truck.

48D

Hey Keven,

I picked up a 1992 Dakota awhile back, I think 2009......that's the frame I'm planning on using.  

My apologizes.....after the BBQ, I couldn't concentrate on much and had low retention. Looking back at my messages, I see where you wrote me in April and I didnt respond. For the life of me I dont know why. Even in the brain fog, I should have written back. I'm not that familar with the D150 frame....what's the wheel base.?

48D

I'd be more concerned with the track width. Wheel base can easily be changed, track width is harder to do and get right. Ramcharger which would be similar to the d150 has a track width of 65" on the front which may make keeping the tires inside the fenders difficult even with playing with wheel offsets.

Musta been a real nice guy to take the cuffs off and let you pretend to drive the prowler :eek:

Or is your right hand cuffed to the wheel :confused:

What you can't see Don, is the .50 cal Desert Eagle he was cleaning while I was just sitting there.......lol

48D

017_zps93ad2b71.jpg

Not much to look at here, but has the important stuff. Since 2009 I've sold the bed and other parts. Need a driver side spindle.

48D

These are pics Frank sent my way.....makes a pretty good arguement for a PT Crusier dash!

msg-778-0-80870500-1401042122_zps89baa53msg-778-0-64570000-1401042160_zps801dd9fmsg-778-0-39994000-1401042086_zps0e5bcc1msg-778-0-01629200-1401042192_zpsf53af6e

If anyone reconizes this build....please share the build or the link....its pretty cool! Havent had a chance to ask Frank where he found it.

UPDATE: Found the build....looks close to some of the things I'd like to do. I could list the things I don't like, but think I'll focus on what I do like. Dash, exhaust, trans hump.

link to build post

link to the same build, different site 

48D

Edited by 48dodger