Missing column clamp

You have to pull the steering wheel, remove the three bolts that secure the steering box to thte frame, and then the sleeve and clamp will slide up and out the door.

That's really going above and beyond, and I would be happy to pay you for it.

Did a quick look (will do better this weekend) but it looks like the column in my 48 does not have that part.. Its has a clamp around the base of the column (where it connects to the box) .... but the pic you posted is kinda small on my computer.. Maybe I am not looking in the right area. My steering box is a 'GEMMER' brand unit incase that makes a difference

Did only certain years have that style set up?

I think it is correct for all but the very big trucks. Here's a better picture.

I'm also working on the other end of the column; Hhen I pulled the sleeve, the bearing at the top fell apart. I took the bearing shell to a bearing distributor, but they couldn't match the size.

So I bought digital calipers on eBay to measure the size and will continue the hunt for a replacement bearing.

post-131-13585345698836_thumb.jpg

The second pic looks like my set up..

Does the steering box come apart from the steering shaft. If so, let me know how and I will try . You can have the whole assembly (or just the box) if you want to pay for shipping, I will not be using it...

Now that I know we have the same set up, I can try next weekend to pull the clamp off (and what ever other parts you want off of it).. going to be out of town for business most of this week

Ken

Ken or Merle, I definitely need the clamp. If I cannot find a bearing of the correct size, I think I will need the column sleeve also. It seems unlikely that the bearing can be removed from the sleeve without trashing it.