steering wheel help

navyboy

so I plan to redo the trim interior for paint and I really need to pull the steering wheels to repair some cracks and get a better finish for when I shoot the paint. BUT I can't get this stupid horn ring off! I have tried everything and did a search in the forum but nothing. Some say to look for screws behind the steering wheel and although mine has holes behind the steering wheel no screws exist, I have tried pushing the horn in and turning it left and right but nothing. SO any sugestions of what I may be doing wrong? Help. I added a picture so you know what IM working with, the ugly steering wheel cover is long gone lol.

post-6302-0-67978300-1400044366_thumb.jpg

From the picture it looks like the type of horn centre that should push in and turn counter clockwise. They can be a bit awkward to get out and sometimes you have to fiddle with them quite a bit. Maybe try putting masking tape on the horn centre so you can get a better grip when trying to turn it. Once you have turned it, it should pop up as there is a spring underneath. Good luck.

Also to get a better grip get one of those rubber  flat items in your wife kitchen drawer that is used to grip the lids on jars and use that to get a better grip on the center button so you can twist it off the center of the wheel.  Surprising what this lillte things can help get undone.

Rich HArtung

I really appreciate the detailed response guys! I went home tried it with no avail then seen all the other post afterwards with pics realizing I thought the horn ring came with the center didn't realize its the center and then the horn ring is removed next. I will give it a try again in the morning when I get home from work.

Young Ed has the true picture that shows the little hooks on the bottom. Just look at the horn ring itself and you can see where they will catch when you depressed the centre and turn it clockwise. Counterclockwise to remove.