My 51 Dodge Project

Go to solution Solved by Husker,

Once my wife decided I didn't need a Harly this year I decided to start working on my old Dodge. I started a new thread to focus on what I am doing with the truck. 

I am updating it to be much more modern driver that I can zip down the interstate at speeds. 

I picked up a 360/727 combo that I will be transplanting this winter.  

I purchased a new tilt steering column with the shift lever on the column that I am going to install next week.  I am kicking around what I want to do with the steering box, I was thinking manual vega for now but they are only rated up to 2800 pounds and i know this truck has to weigh more than that!  My old box is shot so I am looking for suggestions on which way to go, I want to be cheap as this is short term as it will be set up with a rack and pinion system when i install the IFS this winter. Idea? 

• Like 1

I really don't know what rear end is under it.  Plans are to get underneath this weekend and check it out.  Anyone know what these things weigh?

I am starting on upgrades this weekend.  Diving into the steering column project this weekend so I can get rid of the mess currently installed.  

Edited by Husker

• Solution

Ah the life of being a call center quality manager, germs all over the place so I spent the weekend primarily in bed with the stomach flu so no truck work!  

I am trying to figure out what this truck weighs so if anyone knows please drop me a line.  

I think the 4850 value may be including the 1/2 ton load. Seems like the max gross on my 52 1/2 ton says somewhere around 4800

I have been doing some more digging and I think you guys are right. Mine is a short box with the low sides so it would weigh less I would think. Once I have it so i can actually drive it I will run it over a scale and see where I am at. 

Ok I am stuck! My manual gear box is junk, so sloppy you can't keep the truck straight so it is not safe to drive.  Eventual plan is to go IFS but I want to have some fun with the truck this summer before it comes apart this winter. Any ideas as to what gear box will work on these old trucks would be greatly appreciated. 

Have you tried adjusting the steering box according to the manual yet?  How about the rest of the steering components?  Have you checked them for wear?  King pins?  I wouldn't want to call the box junk without at least attempting to adjust it and a thorough steering and suspension examination.

This might help.

http://p15-d24.com/topic/19395-steering-box/

Post #9 has some shim pdfs. Best practice would be to remove your steering box. To remove some of the slop, you could try removing one or two shims. If you discover that you have five shims that means no one has f'd with it yet and that's a good thing. 

Hank  :)

Edited by HanksB3B

Ah the life of being a call center quality manager, germs all over the place so I spent the weekend primarily in bed with the stomach flu so no truck work!  

I am trying to figure out what this truck weighs so if anyone knows please drop me a line.  

If this is the best answer tell me again what question did this answer?

• 1 month later...

I put the truck up on stands this week end to look closer at the steering situation.  "Been busy working on money generating projects so this one gets little attention."  The guy who put the truck together originally was a hard core cobbler from what I can see, When you turn the steering wheel the engine actually moves! I think I will have to pull the front clip off to sort this mess out lol!  

Husker-are you sure this is a '51 and not an earlier model?  If its a 48-50 (judging by the doors and wiper transmissions I think it may be).  The earlier models used a steering box mounted on a cast bracket that bolts to the frame.  It may seem like the engine is moving, but it may be the box wiggling on the frame.  Check that the mounting bolts to the frame, and the bracket to box are present and accounted for, and tight.  You may want to check that to see that the bracket isn't broken if that is the style that you have.  Also check the rear shackles on the front springs for wear to make sure there is no side play in them.  If the box is holding lubricant, unless its been totally trashed I would thing you should be able to adjust some of the play out.  Good luck.   

• 1 month later...