P23 clutch linkage question

laynrubber

Geez why do I think after 5 years I will remember things ! Ok, reassembly after engine and overdrive R & R and tonight's struggle is clutch linkage.

This rod goes from the pedal to the pivot shaft, why does this rod not have round holes ?

I have done an evening of searching for pictures of linkage for a 52 Cranbrook (P23) but without any enlightenment. Does someone have any pictures ? Especially how the spring attaches to the bottom of the pedal and where on the chassis it hooks. It should be logical but apparently not for me.

Pic of rod in question

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a14/laynrubber/imagejpg1_zps4c20015e.jpg

Only rod with elongated hole is on overcenter setup.

Other rods show normal wear that needs repair to be correct,should be round holes,  see attached pic from 50 mopar parts book.

On the spring question I forgot about, if it's like 49-50 ply's. then a spring about 3/4" round at the coil and 6-8" long overall it hooks on the clutch pedal lower tab/w/hole then to a approx.8-10" long wire with 2 hooks formed on the ends that go to a notch on a floor? support. I had to use a ratchet strap hooked to the wire hook and the other end of the strap wrapped arround the rear end and crank the strap down to stretch the spring enough. I have a bad back so you may just get by with a visegrip clamped to the wire and a good pull! B)

Doug

plymouth clutch parts-linkages.bmp

Edited by DJ194950

Late 52 plymouths and 53-4 cars  use a different type of large hole rod that requires a different anti rattle spring and assembly procedure than earlier cars.

See pics.

This is in the 1954 Plym service manual.

Bob

post-302-0-23208400-1399476682_thumb.jpg

post-302-0-94857100-1399476692_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

OOOOOO that is the picture i need ! Many thanks for that one Bob. I looked at that "D" shaped hole in both ends of the rod and thought that doesnt look like wear, thanks though Don. Who knew there would be such a difference in assembly.

As for the spring at the bottom of the pedal according to Dougs information. I may be missing the hook and bracket but those are easy enough to fab.

• 2 years later...

I need to revive this thread. Anyone have a source for the correct springs for the 54 clutch? I am going to rig something up for teh time being, but those springs are long gone. Id like all the correct linkage anti rattle clips and spring if possible. Thanks

Chris

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Hello everyone. I have a bunch of questions in regards to the 1952 plymouth cranbrook clutch set up. To start my pedal just lays on the floor. A friend of mine has a 51 and he has a big spring located off the pedal mounting to an eye bolt on the frame... I do not have this. I also do not have any mount point on the frame for said eye bolt... I read that the 52 did not use this spring am I reading that right? Also what steps would I take to get a pedal that comes back up? Any actual car pictures would be greatly appreciated. The manual seems to only show a single picture of a set up without an overcenter spring which for my capacity isn't much of a help. I will attach a pic of what I'm talking about. Thank you very much for the help. 

12as.jpg

IMG_0440.jpg

The '51 had a Borg & Beck clutch and the '52 had an Auburn clutch.  The linkages were different and the '52 did not come with an over-center spring; they called it a 'lift spring' in '52 if I remember correctly.  Have you checked under the car for linkage binding?  Maybe the throwout bearing or clutch fingers are stuck in the 'depressed' position.

• Like 1

As mentioned above. This elimination of the over center spring started early in 1952.

Proper assembly of Clutch fork rod/spring clips  and free play adjustments are crucial to proper clutch operation.

13 minutes ago, Dodgeb4ya said:

As mentioned above. This elimination of the over center spring started early in 1952.

Proper assembly of Clutch fork rod/spring clips  and free play adjustments are crucial to proper clutch operation.

So the pics I posted are not required for my specific vehicle? The cars original OD trans is long gone and I have a 1950 unit in its place but the 52 bell housing and clutch is still there. Can I convert to overcenter spring setup? This is my first mopar vehicle. Thank you for the help in this. I would love to drive the car sometime soon this was one of final steps for that. 

You can go back to the 1951 and earlier OC spring setup you need the 51 Clutch fork rod.. Use whatever clutch is in it ... should work fine.

I'm not sure whats the cause of the pedal laying on the floor unless you are missing the rod or the 2 little springs / or way too much free play.

4 minutes ago, Dodgeb4ya said:

You can go back to the 1951 and earlier OC spring setup you need the 51 Clutch fork rod.. Use whatever clutch is in it ... should work fine.

I'm not sure whats the cause of the pedal laying on the floor unless you are missing the rod or the 2 little springs / or way too much free play.

Ok... so I just need to swap the clutchclutch fork rod? I have the spring, hook, and eye bolt I posted before. Is the bracket that the eye bolt mounts to something that unfolds or is that welded to the frame? In the only image I found of my car it appears that it's a bolt on item and I have a threaded hole where it would be... would I also just remove the rest of the linkage or just swap the rod? Thank you so much again. I hope I'm not being too much of a rookie. Lol. 

The OC spring bracket just bolts to the frame with 2 bolts as I remember.

I told you you need the clutch fork rod.... NOT!.......

I meant to say you need the clutch pedal rod with the two smaller round holes..... not the 52 Plymouth pedal rod with the large out of round holes.

Install the OC spring and the 51 Plymouth clutch pedal rod to replace the lost or missing 52 parts if that's the reason for this change...

There is a un-available special factory  Miller OC spring gauge tool that makes adjusting this OC spring fast and easy for proper pedal operation and pedal feel. 

You can do it with out but it will take several tries to get it all right.The OC spring is adjusted by tightening or looseing the nut at the frame bracket.

The OC spring helps pedal pressure and affects full return of the clutch pedal.

Set Clutch fork rod free play to 3/4 to 1" of free play first.

And you do have a factory shop manual too I take it?

1951 Ply Clutch Linkage.JPG

1952 Plymouth Clutch Linkage.JPG

2 hours ago, Dodgeb4ya said:

The OC spring bracket just bolts to the frame with 2 bolts as I remember.

I told you you need the clutch fork rod.... NOT!.......

I meant to say you need the clutch pedal rod with the two smaller round holes..... not the 52 Plymouth pedal rod with the large out of round holes.

Install the OC spring and the 51 Plymouth clutch pedal rod to replace the lost or missing 52 parts if that's the reason for this change...

There is a un-available special factory  Miller OC spring gauge tool that makes adjusting this OC spring fast and easy for proper pedal operation and pedal feel. 

You can do it with out but it will take several tries to get it all right.The OC spring is adjusted by tightening or looseing the nut at the frame bracket.

The OC spring helps pedal pressure and affects full return of the clutch pedal.

Set Clutch fork rod free play to 3/4 to 1" of free play first.

And you do have a factory shop manual too I take it?

1951 Ply Clutch Linkage.JPG

1952 Plymouth Clutch Linkage.JPG

You are awesome. Thank you so much. One last question see attached pic. 

Screenshot_2017-03-05-13-34-01.jpg

yes...