1953 Dodge 'coupe' truck project

Davin;

Ok then the blue truck is much as I expected to see. It was the arrangement on Pop that was totally unexpected.

I suppose both of our trucks have their tight spots. On mine it is around the starter. Not the greatest access especially with the Cherokee M/C and adjustable proportioning valve I added when I fitted disc brakes. I may some day look at relocating the M/C up to the firewall and fitting a different brake pedal. I really don't care for the arrangement as it is and the pedal adjustment leaves much to be desired. It is funny too as the clutch pedal feels perfect.......but for some reason the location of the brake pedal feels less natural to me.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff Balazs

I spent a bit more time down at the shed today working on the Pop truck. I may look at either removing the engine or lifting off the body tomorrow. Today, I removed the gearbox and the steering column, disconnected and labelled wiring, and cleaned up a heap of other things. I found a couple of unexpected cracks on both sides of the chassis near the front cross member that will need some extra welding down the track (see photos). It looks like the PO had a go at repairing the crack on the left side at some stage. I recall fixing a similar problem on the blue 52 truck.

I have the support braces out of the hoods ready for sandblasting. I'm hoping to disassemble the guards/nosecone as soon as I get some penetrating spray to make the job with the rusty bolts easier - I'm going to try a product called 'Rust Off' which is said to be like the PB Blaster that you guys get in USA.

I'll clean up the the steering box in the morning before heading back down to the shed. I must say that I was surprised at how easy the steering wheel came off - no puller required! The steering box on this truck is much longer than the previous one - I'll post photos when it's cleaner.

post-3915-0-21003300-1400062971_thumb.jpg

post-3915-0-51162500-1400062983_thumb.jpg

post-3915-0-29892400-1400063006_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Hey Davin;

Looks like you are rolling along very nicely with this.

What do you reckon has caused the frame to crack in this location? Seems like the two cracks pretty well line up with each other. Is there any evidence of a severe front end collision? Or do you think this is down to frame flex in this area?

Jeff

That's right where the steering box bolts onto the right side and that could be an indication of some frame flex caused by the box itself or some shock loads being transferred by the steering system. We know some frame flex does occur and has been addressed by the factory by varying types of bracing added.

Hi Dave;

That thought had occurred to me as well......but it doesn't seem likely it would cause a matching crack on the other side. I wonder if it has something to do with the way the unibody cab & bed mounts and the nose assembly mounts react towards each other when the frame tries to flex? It is really very interesting to see how different the Aussie trucks are compared to ours. I know I am going to enjoy watching all this as Davin makes progress.

Jeff

Thanks Dan. You folk didn't get trucks like ours over there in USA. I believe that you call them mono-body trucks over there. We call this style 'coupe' truck because of the roof line.

I wondered the same about the chassis cracks Jeff and Dave. I suppose that's I have no problem accepting those cracks when you consider that this truck spent many years driving through rough terrain (bush land) whilst the occupants shot pigs and kangaroos. I'm sure there was plenty of frame flex involved there!

I had some time to spare today, so I spent it wisely down at the shed. I decided to move into one of our larger family sheds for this truck restoration project as I struggled for room in the shed which I restored my blue 52 in. The shed that I am in at present (in your talk) is about 42 x 65 feet. We painted the floors in workshop grey paint as they are much easier to keep clean that way. I'm glad that our WH&S Officer wasn't hanging around today as I'm sure that I did a thing (or two) that wouldn't have complied with safety procedures.

I installed the outriggers in my truck trolley and now have the truck body sitting on that trolley. I may end up pulling the engine out over the weekend (between work shifts) and then I will give the whole lot a good high pressure hot water blast with the 'Spitwater' blaster.

post-3915-0-85815000-1400142033_thumb.jpg

post-3915-0-44336700-1400142044_thumb.jpg

post-3915-0-25213100-1400142054_thumb.jpg

post-3915-0-53323300-1400142063_thumb.jpg

post-3915-0-70952500-1400142073_thumb.jpg

Here's a few photos of the steering box for you Jeff (taken after I cleaned it up a bit). It connects to the steering knuckle via a link rod on the right-hand side of the truck. I will send this steering box off for a sand blast, check-up/rebuild, and a paint down the track.

post-3915-0-91614000-1400142308_thumb.jpg

post-3915-0-70295900-1400142320_thumb.jpg

post-3915-0-63781700-1400142332_thumb.jpg

Davin;

To paraphrase Ricky Nelson........."You don't mess around boy"  :D

That steering column sure is long. Thanks for the photos......very interesting stuff. If during the course of your work you have the opportunity to shoot some photos of the underside of the body I would love to see what that looks like.

Jeff

Thanks Davin for sparing the task of looking up a Meters to Feet Convertor Calculator dealy-thing on the net. lol 

Random thoughts:

1. Never seen a steering box like that one there

2. Nice dolly for the Monobody

3. The process reminds me of the work I've done (limited so far) on my Panel truck.

4. The fender inserts look a lot like the ones used on the Panel trucks.

5. The shop is big, clean, and, well, CLEAN...lol 

What the heck you guys do in that shop to keep so cleaned? ^_^

48D

I spent a few hours water-blasting the Pop truck today. I was very pleased not to find any nasty surprises during the process. There is rust in all of the usual places, but overall the truck is in reasonably good condition for its age. The surface rust will be sandblasted off (hopefully in the near future) and the whole truck will get a coat of 2-pac primer.

The majority of rust problems are in the rear u-channels that mount the body to the chassis. I believe that was a design problem as the timber placed in those channels fills up with moisture, and then that moisture has nowhere to go so it rusts out the channels. Both of the front lower corners of the cab have rust holes in them, which again is possibly a factory problem as the metal pockets in these areas fill up with dirt/dust and trap moisture. These are not major concerns though as I encountered similar (if not worse) with the blue truck restoration.

In answer to your shed question Tim: this shed was previously occupied by a landscaper and is only 5 or so years old. My family owns this shed and the adjoining land (2 acres?). I am keeping the shed tidy during my Pop truck project as we have that shed advertised for lease. It has additional rooms attached to the shed space which include a bathroom, a lunchroom, an office, a reception area, and a huge external awning. I am very fortunate to have this shed available at present. It certainly makes the whole restoration process so much easier when your not cramped for space. I like how you have that big shed of yours setup for these projects too.

post-3915-0-42281100-1400303478_thumb.jpg

post-3915-0-38180800-1400303487_thumb.jpg

post-3915-0-31637000-1400303496_thumb.jpg

post-3915-0-59009400-1400303505_thumb.jpg

post-3915-0-97177100-1400303514_thumb.jpg

Edited by Desotodav

Davin;

To paraphrase Ricky Nelson........."You don't mess around boy"  :D

That steering column sure is long. Thanks for the photos......very interesting stuff. If during the course of your work you have the opportunity to shoot some photos of the underside of the body I would love to see what that looks like.

Jeff

One could say that my reasons for this project are 'strong'.

I've attached a few under-body shots which I took after water-blasting. It is a little hard to see though as the forks from the forklift take up most of the photo.

The main under-cab problem that I have encountered with these style trucks is rust towards the back of the cab. If you look closely (in the photo with the red oval inserted) you will see a curved panel on the underside of the truck towards the rear of the cab - I'm not sure of the reason for this panel, but it appears that it would line up with where the back wall of the cab would extend down to if the truck was not a mono-body. This panel had a strange 'Z' folded piece on top which is spot welded to that curved piece of the floor which you can see. The moisture seems to get in there where dust and dirt are deposited and the trucks rust out there in time. I'll ask my mate Marty to fold up a new 'Z' piece for me again and it will be spot-welded to that curved floor piece. The process actually involves cutting that curved piece out and spot-welding the new 'Z' piece on top, as this seems to be the only way to maintain that original look in this area underneath.

I'll see if I can get back down to the shed in the morning to pull the motor out. I'm working afternoon shifts at present and this allows me to play with trucks in the mornings.

post-3915-0-23820700-1400304537_thumb.jpg

post-3915-0-45123800-1400304547_thumb.jpg

post-3915-0-00107900-1400304557_thumb.jpg

post-3915-0-12512900-1400304566_thumb.jpg

Edited by Desotodav

someday Davin, someday I will get down to visit you!  you've got way cool stuff!  Maybe I can convince Tim and Merle to go as well!  :P

• Like 1

Davin;

I think I get where you are at with the reason behind this project. As I have mentioned I started my project shortly after my Moms passing. Much of the five or so years prior to this were spent trying to make certain the folks were getting the care and family time they deserved. You can believe me when I say I know all about the healing properties of a good project like this.

Thanks for the photos. It is very interesting to see how different your trucks actually are from ours. You have to marvel at how much they changed and still retained the look. Where were these assembled? and how much was built in and shipped over from North America?

Jeff

I would be pleased to play host to those of my forum family. Sounds like I'll need more beds!

I pulled the motor out this morning - It may not have been pretty, but sure was effective! That old forklift of ours really makes the job a lot easier. I'll start stripping the parts off the chassis next so that it can go off for sand blasting and painting.

post-3915-0-23159600-1400376090_thumb.jpg

post-3915-0-88023900-1400376102_thumb.jpg

post-3915-0-40048600-1400376111_thumb.jpg

Nice neat and clean work area , lots of room too . That makes the project more enjoyable . 

I agree with you there Jerry. The shed is just missing a good hoist! I learnt the importance of having a large shed during these projects after struggling in confined spaces during my blue 52 truck build.

I got a few truck parts ready and dropped them down to the Sandblaster a couple of days ago. It turns out that he is a bit light on with work at present so will be doing my parts soon. He even requested that I have the chassis down there soon so that he can blast it and weld up the 2 small chassis cracks for me (he is a great welder). I hope to be able to report back here soon with a whole lot of freshly primed/painted parts.

post-3915-0-72325400-1400966244_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

It's been a couple of weeks since I've been able to get back to work on the 'Pop' truck. The work at present all involves getting the chassis ready for sand blasting/repairs and paint. It came as no surprise that both of the rear mounts for the front springs had their threads chewed out, so I moved the chassis outside and removed both of those mounts - I'll replace them with some new ones that I have. I expect to have the chassis down to the Sand Blaster within the next week or so. It will be painted in 2-pak black (like my blue 52 truck). Then I will start cleaning up the engine for repainting once the chassis has left the shed. I have the compete (original) brake line out and will have it replicated soon. I'l have to start thinking about refurbishing the axles and the brakes after that. I'd almost forgotten how much fun this all was!

post-3915-0-50079000-1402292164_thumb.jpg

post-3915-0-27544600-1402292176_thumb.jpg

post-3915-0-11087100-1402292187_thumb.jpg

post-3915-0-75860200-1402292294_thumb.jpg

Edited by Desotodav

Hey Davin;

Looks like you have got things moving right along. Those mounts really are well worn aren't they?  :(  I guess that is what happens during a hard life out in the bush. I look forward to following your progress.

Jeff

it's all the roo's they carry around!