Getting brake lights in rear fenders?

TJM70's_48

I am thinking of buying the Technostalgia LED tail light / turn signals. They come set up for tail light and stop / turn...

With the center trunk brake light as my only brake light right now, is anyone aware of a way to wire the new taillights in so I get stop light action in the fenders?

I have a stock 6 V, pos ground car with aftermarket turn signals.

Thanks.

Thanks for the quick reply...not sure if I understand just right regarding the LED setup I am thinking of using...

I would be switching away from incandescent setup to all in one LED housing. Here are the new lights: http://www.cool-leds.com/1946-48-plymouth-6-volt.html

There are three functions available in the lights in two circuits - 1) taillight and 2) stop / turn

As my car is currently wired, I'd get taillights and turn signals out of these but I was looking for some wiring guidance - either in the aftermarket turn signal unit or within the trunk - to get the stoplight function working in the fenders. 

I suspect it's more complicated than it appears or the car would have brake lights in the fender already.

I'm running the Technostalgia lights on my 47 Plymouth. They come with a wiring diagram. I did it when they first came out so I don't remember how I wired them. But I do have 3 brake lights and turn signals. The fender lights flash 3 times when the brake is applied then stay on. My car is also 12 volt.   

If you are staying 6 volt then you will need to convert the original brake light socket to a double filament as Tim suggested. I soldered a double filament (with a pigtail) socket to my original bulb bracket before I went with the new light emitting diode brake light assembly. The master cylinder is not connected electrically to the brake light switch so I do not understand your question.

bl1.jpg

Sorry...I was reading you were looking at the new LED lights but in the  meantime was looking to upgrade your existing sockets..sorry my answer was not tuned to the new lights install....

Don C. has posted all you need to know as he was the first one to use these on this forum if my memory is correct..

Don,t the led conversions require a change to 12v negative? Thought the op said he was 6v pos.

I believe they have both 6v and 12v versions now.

Don...I didn't know of any other brake light switch (though was on on the MC...not, though...so much to learn)...I also was confused so I asked a question that didn't really make sense. Your illustration and description are great...I think I get it or at least will get it. 

Greg G - the supplier has 6V pos ground taillight assemblies available. No need to switch to 12v pos. 

Edited by TJM70's_48

Don - do you have turn signals when braking? Initially I thought the LED rigs had three wires - tail, stop and turn. But, they apparently have just two...I can't get my head around the schematic for the setup without causing the center stop to flash when turn signal is on OR without cancelling the turn signal when braking...

Don - do you have turn signals when braking? Initially I thought the LED rigs had three wires - tail, stop and turn. But, they apparently have just two...I can't get my head around the schematic for the setup without causing the center stop to flash when turn signal is on OR without cancelling the turn signal when braking...

Did you read #7 in the instructions I posted above?

No I did not...Todd from Technostalgia emailed me directions that aren't the same as what you posted. I should not have assumed they were the same - I had already read the instruction sheet from Todd and couldn't figure out how to do what I wanted based on those.

Thanks again for the help and for pointing out the important difference. I ought to be good to go when they arrive (on backorder).

Tom

TJ 

if you do not have turn signals right now all you need to get brake lights to the fenders is run a wire from the center brake light  to the left and right stop wire in the new  lights. then if and when you get after market turn signal switch you will have to run 2 wires for left and right and then just unhook 3rd brake light from the fenders. hope this helps  Patrick

Edited by DENISONS 1946 D24

All the answers have been very helpful; I appreciate the generous help provided in this forum. I do a lot more reading and lurking than posting because I am still learning - often by trial and error - about my car and old cars in general. So, all advice is greatly appreciated. 

I am usually a pretty quick study, but, have learned a lot over the past four years of having my Plymouth. So much more to go...

Yep. Radios, TVs, clocks, etc...other electronic items. So, I should get the basics, I think.

In my mind, I'll either get stop lights and no turn signal or a flashing center light when turning...trying not to over complicate it but would like to get brake and turn signals. Someone else suggested a separate mechanical switch for the fender brake lights to me like Denisons did above. Just looking for the right way to do it...

Todd at Technostalgia made me think they might not be the same setup as referenced in the posted instruction sheet. 

I think Don explained it perfectly and according to the directions from Technostalgia, looks like it will work if they are still the same. I'm usually guilty of over-thinking things. 

Edited by TJM70's_48

The turn signal switch will also need to be a 7 wire switch. The switch that came with my car had only 5 or 6 wires, but no wire to connect to the hydraulic brake light switch. I purchased a 7 wire switch with this connection. As technotalgia makes the fender lights in 6volt pos ground I installed those, the center trunk light was only available in 12 v neg ground, I talked technostalgia into selling me the center trunk light without any electronics, my old light was pretty rough, I modified the new light to accept a red, 6v post ground led bulb. You can not use a standard incandescent bulb with the technostalgia trunklight as the lens is plastic. I hooked everything up according to the directions for the 7 wire switch and technostalgia. The lights work great, very bright and the chrome diecastings look super!

Best of luck

Bill

• Like 1

Thanks, Bill. Very helpful.

I posted to try and find out what to be aware of...look out for & take into consideration. If I have some time today, I'll take a look at the turnsignal setup; It's a Signal Stat 800.

Edited by TJM70's_48