What is your favorite, most used, oldest, most unique, most frustrating and/or most frequently used tool?

:o Let's keep it to a single image per post.  Post as often, with a brief comment, as you wish.

How many different ones can we amass?

Here's my first of what I image will be at least 1/2 dozen contributions. 

My little point and shoot Canon camera has been invaluable.  I use it to record stuff before I take it apart so's I have a chance at correct re-assembly.  It also allows me to share my passion with, and solicite information from, others i.e. this site :cool:   post-3006-0-14214200-1398954834_thumb.jpg

I was hoping for individual pics with a brief commentary as to why a tool is special to the owner.  Figured that would make for some interesting and personal stories, a widow into the character or passion of the owner.  

Didn't want the thread to get into who had the most or the best or the biggest.  Let's see where it goes.  You folks decide.

Edited by mrwrstory
  • Like 1

I guess my most prized tools are the set of 8 screw drivers in this shot. My Dad bought them new in the early 70s and gave them to a friend of his. In the late 90s that friend passed away and I ended up with them.

IMAG0139.jpg

• Like 1

Lost it in the fire, but will replace it soon. My 2nd tool, often used is on the arm of the chair.  B)

ShopChair_zps3fb899dc.jpg

Paul, if you were closer I would give you a replacement. Got this for my wife, but she is such a tool, she doe's not like it :cool:

post-80-0-93147100-1398968266_thumb.jpg

I guess my most prized tools are the set of 8 screw drivers in this shot. My Dad bought them new in the early 70s and gave them to a friend of his. In the late 90s that friend passed away and I ended up with them.

IMAG0139.jpg

Ed,

My dad was one of those guys who had everything, I bought my dad that very same Snap on set and gave it to him for christmass in the late 80's.  He never used them because he thought they were to nice.  I told my mom I want them but she still won't let any tool leave the garage, Dad died in 2009 and I think keeping his tools is her way of keeping him around.

Ed,

My dad was one of those guys who had everything, I bought my dad that very same Snap on set and gave it to him for christmass in the late 80's.  He never used them because he thought they were to nice.  I told my mom I want them but she still won't let any tool leave the garage, Dad died in 2009 and I think keeping his tools is her way of keeping him around.

Todd glad my picture prompted you to share that. These screwdrivers weren't used much either. I think not because they were too nice but just because the guy wasn't a mechanic etc so they would have just been used for the occasional household chore. Dad and I also have a standing bet of a steak dinner related to the middle size flatblade from his own set of these. His is lost and he maintained for years that the last place he saw it was on the basement stairs after me using it in my bedroom. It never did turn up after I moved out and took all my stuff. Probably will never turn up at this point but we still talk about it.

One of my many favorites.  This box end wrench was part of a set I bought in the mid 50s.  Still have most of them.  The 1/2 -9/16 will address about 75% of the hexes in older car's and they feel good in the hand.  Note how elegant the old one is compared to the newer issue of the same size.  I'm thinking that's quality of material.  Craftsman says they'll replace any that break but, I haven't had that problem yet in almost 60 years.

post-3006-0-89339100-1399228113_thumb.jpg

Craftsman will replace with what they have that is comparable . You can no longer get many of the them in the same style. I've worn out numerous ratchets, 3/8 drive in particular that had the fine tooth gear with the knurled edge underneath. The first couple were new replacements, then just the inner part, then a course tooth ratchet with the reverse mechanism moved. Totally different ratchet and not what I wanted. Take it or leave it. Some wrenches just feel better in your hand than others

Here's one I use a lot.  Handmade, currently set up for pickup beds, or as a work station, I can take the long uprights off and use it for a body cart for truck cabs, as a dolly for bed sides, storage rack.  It's had fenders, hoods, trunk lids, roof bows on it this year alone for sanding and painting.

post-755-0-58394600-1399247660_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

The 1/2 -9/16 will address about 75% of the hexes in older car's ...

I agree with you there Mr Bill. My 1/2 - 9/16 spanner became my favorite tool when I started working on my old trucks. I reckon that it will be worn out quicker than any of the other tools in my toolbox!

• 1 month later...
  • 11 months later...

Just realized another unhearlded favorite,...magnets.  They're like a third hand but they don't talk to you when your trying to think. :angry:  I've got all shapes and sizes.  One discovery was the the connection between the motor and brush on my electric teeth brush is a tiny rare earth magnet.  It's very powerful and useful for holding notes or show info cards to the garnish moldings on your car.

Img_1661a_zps7dzljn2s.jpg

• Like 1

Prior home of the magnet stuck on my windshield divider was a cows stomach. Cattle ranchers stick these magnets down the throats of cows to catch and hold nails, and other bits and pieces of metal so they do not rupture the intestines. Slaughter house removes the magnets.

P2100001.jpg

I worked at Indiana General in Valparaiso where we made cow magnets. Try to imagine a half cubic yard of those that had to be processed. Several of those a day and they are no longer unique. Ours were three inches long by about one half inch with rounded ends. Wow, fifty years ago. Ouch.

Possibly because the hair ball wasn't passed either. May have something to do with the two stomach system so the magnet stayed in the first stomach cause the cow couldn't cough it up with her cud. It's interesting to see a large herd of cows lieing in the pasture chewing their cud, sortof like knitting time.

Possibly because the hair ball wasn't passed either. May have something to do with the two stomach system so the magnet stayed in the first stomach cause the cow couldn't cough it up with her cud. It's interesting to see a large herd of cows lieing in the pasture chewing their cud, sortof like knitting time.

PP as an ex farmer you sure don't know much about ruminates. Cows don't lie, they lay down. Cows have 4 stomachs not 2. And cats have hair balls not cows. You would probably not recognize a murder of crows if you saw one.