Updating the brake overhaul technical topic?

Redmond49

Hi all,

Is there a way to update the brake overhaul technical topic (http://p15-d24.com/page/p15d24/tech/brakes.html)? I've been overhauling my brakes, and I had a hard time getting all the fittings to seal up so they don't leak. I think at least one of my problems was failing to use a thin copper washer at the point where the flexible brake hoses screw into the front upper wheel cylinder - both front wheels leaked from there regardless of how much I tightened the hoses. Since I bought new cylinders for the front, I had only disassembled one front upper cylinder and it didn't have the washer. As part of troubleshooting my leaks, I disassembled the other one and found a thin copper washer between the hose and the cylinder. I looked at the parts list and there is an entry:

• GASKET, Wheel cylinder hose (Copper, 29/64" ID x 13/16" OD, .091 thk)

In the tech topic, I'd like to add this to the list of stuff you need to buy and to the instructions for reassembling the parts. Hopefully adding the copper gaskets will stop my last leaky points in the hardware so I can get the bleeding done!

T

Edited by Tyson

Here's what the OE proper fitting, sealing copper washer for the old Mopar wheel cylinders looks like.... and yes it is thick and large. Todays modern very thin copper washers tend to not seal as well as the older thicker and softer copper ones.

Bob

post-302-0-77202400-1398661998_thumb.jpg

post-302-0-80535900-1398662030_thumb.jpg

post-302-0-25416400-1398662092_thumb.jpg

Edited by Dodgeb4ya
  • Like 2

Bob, thanks for the pictures of the NOS style ones. That explains A LOT of the problems I've had with those connections. I think I'll go ahead and pony up for the NOS ones after looking at your pictures instead of settling for the thin ones.

And, thank for updating the tech article. It's a very useful article, and adding this should help.

In my 39 desoto parts listing in the gasket section under brake service for the flexible hose to front cylinders and rear axle tee they list a gasket  as part number 692166.  From what I remember mine are flat  washers about the size of a nickel.

Do you have a part number on your gaskets and approx at what year did they use this style.  I have flat spots where my  rubber line connect to the whell cylinders and not the recessed like in your photos.

Rich HArtung

desoto1939@aol.com

@Bob - just to confirm, the washer goes on the outside of the brake backing plate and as you tighten down, the edges of the washer flare and create a seal against the backing plate - so this washer is both a seal for the hose against the wheel cylinder AND a seal to keep stuff from coming in around the hose opening.

That is correct.

• 1 month later...

Stepped front brake hose copper gasket MoPar OE# 1123332-a superceded #. Supercedes #9781,79192,627260 and #692166

Takes two! One each side on the front.

I looked in my Desoto dealer parts book and that above number was listed for the gasket.  The hoses were listed above it. What gives?  There was a symbol by that part number for the gasket that indicated it was new for this October, 1947 edition of the book. 

That part number is for front brake hoses, not gaskets.  Have a another number?

Is 1123332 the "that part number"? I see it listed in part type code 5-62-7 as the "Brake Flexible Hose Gasket" for all models 1938 through 1948 in the '36 to '48 parts book.

I had found interchanges for my '33, which lists part 79192, as follows:

NAPA UP 1243

CarQuest W30

Raybestos G1243

If 1123332 superceded 79192 then those numbers will probably work for the later applications too.

Here is "that" copper gasket in a couple Mopar parts books.....

post-302-0-97813600-1404194635_thumb.jpg

post-302-0-35903900-1404194698_thumb.jpg

post-302-0-22352300-1404194716_thumb.jpg

Edited by Dodgeb4ya