3rd Annual "International Work On Your Truck Day"...

3rd Annual "International Work On Your Truck Day" 4/26/2014

Its a day like no other day....a day in which pro-crash-tin-nation has decided to stay home! 

Get your wrenches out ....the good weather is coming.....time to make it roll without the nieghbors pushin it to go! Power to the toolbox! Its a day we all make all stand together as one, and show everyone, that:

"We love our old Trucks!!"  :lol:

The 5 rules:

1. Work on your truck....looking at it counts, writing "wash me' on it counts, washing, dusting it, kicking the rubber ALL counts!

2. Report what you did....and be honest, cuz its all good.

3. Post a picture of what you did....again, fresh finger prints count.

4. Explain what inspires you the most about your truck....it was your dad's, it was your uncle's, brother's, you found it,.......

5. Try to share as soon as you can.....!!!

48D

2nd IWOYTD

• Like 1

Okay Here you go, lookin at truck, checked oil, looking at truck again, thinkin about what to do next, lookin at truck again.

It is a cold rainy spring day here, my yard is soaked, snow still melting.

I plan to install the new MC and brake hoses real soon, the rest is new, gotta have new exhaust done, and it should pass vehicle safety. This is an old beater truck, but I want it all mechanically and safety sound. I do plan to do proper body and paint at some future point, but who knows these temporary jobs can goe on and on.

I built this truck from 3 scrap trucks, the engine and driveline is a 251, 12 volt set-up, runs very well, great oil pressure, compression and uses very little oil, if any.... have grain in box for stowage, food for my bantam chickens

post-107-0-92264500-1398355779_thumb.jpg

post-107-0-67911200-1398355801_thumb.jpg

post-107-0-82441100-1398355819_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

FRED FRED FRED...you got to wait till the 26th for it to be legitimate work on your old truck and participation in the event...

Woops, okay okay okay, will rework this truck then. I am on days off, and not paying attention....

• Like 1

I celebrated early this year.  Just finished welding in two patch panels and painting the passenger fender on my 50 B2JA.  This was the only perforating rust on the truck.  Trying to get it ready for the Rhinebeck show next weekend-if I miss that one, she'll be going to several local cruises this summer.  I've got a small run under the rivet heads and I still need to color sand and buff it, but I'm pleased.   I spend a lot of time trying to find matching rivets.  I ended up using 2 three 3/8 cap screws and grinding the heads down.  If I do find a closer match, I can just replace them.

post-69-0-31193800-1398474136_thumb.jpg

post-69-0-52678000-1398474180_thumb.jpg

post-69-0-36833800-1398474204_thumb.jpg

Edited by MBFowler
  • Like 2

I unboxed and dusted off my official Fisher Cheese truck in preparation for the big day tomorrow. Plans for tomorrow are to air up the tires and lube the 5th wheel. Will that count? :rolleyes:

fishercheese.jpg

I should have mentioned that this truck was a gift to all Fisher Cheese employees in the mid 1980's when I worked for them. After I posted this I did a Google search and found one of these trucks recently sold on eBay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ertl-Fisher-Cheese-truck-/331149245086?nma=true&si=N%252FVcYF70WHEsHQEkGRBJBJQpEhU%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

• Like 1

Looks like I'm a little ahead of schedule too.  Removed RF tire trying to find a slow air leak - couldn't find any leak so I took it to the local tire shop.  While soaping the tire I noticed brake fluid on the tire and a small drip from the brake caliper (Rustyhope kit).  Cleaned everything up, filled the master cylinder and now I can't find the source of the drip.  I'll wait a few days and also remove the caliper (again) until I find the leak - this is not something that should be ignored.  Charging the battery after the long cold winter -will fuel it up and start it after the brakes are fixed.

I unboxed and dusted off my official Fisher Cheese truck in preparation for the big day tomorrow. Plans for tomorrow are to air up the tires and lube the 5th wheel. Will that count? :rolleyes:

fishercheese.jpg

not sure, but i don't think that will count.... looks pretty "cheesy" to me :D

• Like 1

Worked on the carb again. It still has a bit of hesitation off idle when warmed up. I have had the accelerator pump on all 3 settings and have cleaned everything and rechecked the float level etc. It runs pretty good when warm.....but is balky for the first couple of minutes running. I have a steady vacuum reading of about 20.5# at idle. Timing is good and plugs are brand new. This has been kinda frustrating as it makes good power......even get's some rubber in 2nd gear.... but has this brief hesitation as I accelerate off idle. This has been present for a long time and I feel like I should have been able to get this fixed by now. I was hoping that adding the Pertronix system would alleviate some of this but no change there.

Jeff

• Like 1

Rock and Roll Wrench Heads!!!

Been cleaning up parts for TrampSteer.....not my truck I guess, but they are parts I will have formerly owned. lol

He needed a few parts to right his ship for the road....

TrampSteer's project

Side note: blew up my air compressor....gotta fix that too.....dangit

Happy IWOYTD !!

48D

Pic one: rear of frame for grafting

pic two: rear axle drum to drum from a 53, rear leaf spring, and a gas tank

pic three: my air compressor

pic four: the damage, thrown rod...... 

post-340-0-20303200-1398542596_thumb.jpg

post-340-0-04207200-1398542619_thumb.jpg

post-340-0-18674300-1398543191_thumb.jpg

post-340-0-21148700-1398543213_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

That model of compressor has a rev limiter Don.. too bad it didnt have a oil level sensor shutdown :o

• Like 1

this AM I painted the "new" hood ornament I got and have it ready to install.  then spent the morning and early afternoon mulching the yard stuff.....sorry Merle, I used the GMC.  Went for a walk with the gf and then took FEF out for a drive, he was hungry so I gave him a snack of non-oxy.  Good news the sending unit is working well.

20140426_155311_zpshivxx5hl.jpg

20140426_154924_zpspiffjp1e.jpg

Edited by ggdad1951
  • Like 2

Little late getting posted but I worked till dark fell on me...and in keeping with last years tradition, I decided this would be a good time to wash the front left wheel...

but in all seriousness, I did work with my truck a bit today like many others...I pulled roots and broken power pole butt from the ground..that sucker was in there deep...

the pole in  the background is a optical confusion..I cannot figure how it got distorted in the lens as such..but I assure you it is dead nuts on...

post-19-0-37103200-1398559983_thumb.jpg

post-19-0-60304400-1398559986_thumb.jpg

post-19-0-55685100-1398559996_thumb.jpg

Edited by Plymouthy Adams
  • Like 3

worked on every  ones favorite.... bleeding the brakes. small drip at the main junction near the battery but, the major leak is from the brand new front cylinders!

very frustrating, I have fallen victim to lack of quality parts.... hope the vendor will make it right...

still, a bad day working on the truck is better than a good day at work  :D

• Like 3

I know it doesn't look like much. It's the beginnings of a new grille insert. The edges will get folded up and look somewhat like a pan, then the long sides will get shrunk a bit to give the face of it a bit of curve and some pieces I've got fabbed up will go out the sides from there. It's cut big so I can trim the sides and ends down if I need. The bottom of the "pan" will face out so this part will be similar to the center section of an original center

post-755-0-43637600-1398562857_thumb.jpg

Edited by Dave72dt
  • Like 3

I couldn't find too much work to do on my blue truck, so I installed a wooden clothes pin to the fuel line an drove to a local car show. It didn't take too long before someone asked me to explain the wooden clothes pin - who's to say whether it's effective or not in stopping fuel vaporizing?... it's still a good conversation point!

post-3915-0-13894700-1398569775_thumb.jpg

post-3915-0-02779800-1398569786_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

truck picture money pit:

Since the weather was nice this year, I decided to take a break from the JD 425 & Saturn L200 that have been hogging my spare time since February...both have snow-balled into more work than anticipated:

post-2888-0-88131500-1398573674_thumb.jpgpost-2888-0-85455400-1398573688_thumb.jpg

I did a pre-fire inspection on the '48 cuz I don't think I've run that truck in about 6 weeks:

post-2888-0-30701500-1398573565_thumb.jpg

I then moseyed down to the post office at break neck speed to mail some bills, then to the water office to check on the pecan tree I donated a couple of years ago:

post-2888-0-98510900-1398573467_thumb.jpgpost-2888-0-43324300-1398573492_thumb.jpgpost-2888-0-91151500-1398573527_thumb.jpg

I then wandered into the back 40 and promptly ran out of gas about half a mile from the house:
post-2888-0-62137600-1398573595_thumb.jpg

I eventually got the '49 fired up & swept out and took a few pics of it too  :cool:

I've got the tools & parts laid out for the full PCV setup that was documented earlier, but it'll be awhile before I can get back to it...

Edited by JBNeal
revised information
  • Like 2

I stared at mine for a few minutes while painting cupboard doors for another vintage trailer I am restoring........ sigh..........

I'm sure that Tim said in a previous post that 'staring' at your truck and 'dreaming' counted as well !!