Removing steering box

Darbone85737

I'm rebuilding the engine in my P18 and while it's out I want to straighten out a few other issues.  The steering in my car has a lot of play and driving it down the road at speed is a challenge.  I found that if I pull back on the steering wheel the shaft will come backward a few inches and seemingly disengage from the gear inside the box.  Is there an adjustment to the play in the box?

My question is how does the steering get removed from the car and what would cause this issue?  I have a repair manual but it was loaned to someone who hasn't returned it yet :(    I see there are 3 long bolts that hold the box to the car frame.  I also see there is a large nut under the box that attaches the box to the arms that move the control arms.

Any tips would be appreciated   

Are you sure the wheel comes back a FEW INCHES?......when I got my 1941 P11 Coupe, the steering wheel would move in/out about 1/2"..........that was very disconcerting , turned out to be the previous owners attempt at fixing the horn and he had not retightened the nut that holds the steering wheel onto the spline at the top of the column..........the wheel coming back a few inches scares the crap outa me ........lol.........the steering box is held onto the chassis via those triangular arranged 3 bolts, they go thru a plate on the outside of the chassis then a rubber pad then thru the chassis, thru another rubber pad on the inside of the chassis and then into the steering box.........the rubber pads can get badly affected by oil etc and become very sponge like making the steering box move and are definitely worth replacing........as for any movement in the box that lets the steering shaft move inches it sounds like you need to try and adjust the lower worm bearing at least although I can't imagine how it could have that much free play.......but am happy to be corrected..........I'd be checking the steering wheel nut first then the steering box adjustments and then the rubber pads......the large nut is the pitman arm nut, to remove it you undo the nut then use a puller to remove the pitman arm or if you are lucky a large hammer wacked on the side of the pitman arm can sometimes jolt it free......... to remove the steering box you have to jack the car quite a way off the ground to get enough clearance for the steering column to be removed from underneath with the box attached ......the steering wheel, gearshift mechanism etc all need to be removed to allow sufficient clearance to get the column out.....its a fiddly time consuming job......I'd be looking at whatever I could do before removing the box and column......I was able to replace both rubber steering box pads after undoing those 3 bolts and gently prising the box to the side to allow the removal and replacement.......fiddly but doable.......bw welcomear forum.....these guys are great......regards from downunder.....Andy Douglas

Thanks very much for the information and the welcome.,Andy   Yes, everyone here has been great and very helpful. 

I know the problem is not at the steering wheel end because when it happens a section of the shaft is exposed.  Yes, it is scary and needs to be fixed. 

This is the first car I've done much work to.  I usually work on motorcycles  and I'm finding nothing is really straightforward with this thing.  I really need to get my shop manual back from the guy who has it 

Larry

Andydodge has it down.  And, no, there should not be that much play.  Something is way out of whack.  I'd start simple- first course of action is to adjust your steering gears.  Service manual and previous threads on this forum cover that very well, so I won't rely on my memory here.  If you end up needing to rebuild the steering box, that is covered well here, too.  There may not be enough adjustment available to correct that much play.  A rebuild will correct a lot of that (a rebuild kit is generally less than $100).  But if your sector shaft and worm gears are worn too much, you'll need to replace those as no adjustment can correct that.  Good luck, and welcome to the forum.  I've had many problems remedied by this esteemed bunch, not to mention the entertainment value.   

gallery_4871_241_30327.jpgI played around with the car while having coffee this morning.  I got the box loose from the frame but will need a puller for the pittman arm. I also loosened the collar around the column at the box.   I went into the car and pulled back on the wheel thinking I could take a picture for more information. When I did I heard a clunk and went back to find the shaft had pulled out of the box and was lying on top of the control arm.   I can't see how the splined end of the shaft is secured into the box other than by that collar tightening the column around the steering box 

gallery_4871_241_14450.jpg

gallery_4871_241_3424.jpg

Edited by Darbone85737

OMG !!!!!!......... :eek:  :eek:  :eek:  :eek:  :eek:

Lucky you decided to look into your loose steering issue. 

Yeah, huh ?  I can't believe the knucklehead I got this thing from didn't disclose it.  I had driven the car around before had to take the engine out for a rebuild.  Other than some side-to-side play (which I had in my original 1949 car and took to be kinda normal)  I never noticed the steering wheel and shaft could be pulled back like that. 

I did manage to get the box off of the pittman arm and took the plate off. Inside the bore there is what looks to be a key that fits into a keyway in the shaft.  There seems to be nothing  else to hold the shaft in the bore of the steering box.  I'm pretty certain there are parts missing here.

I hate to see this type stuff and I am very glad the owner here detected this before and not after an accident...this gentlemen should well be a reminder to all of you that have bought cars that a good visual inspection of all suspension/steering parts be performed and at minimum test torque values of attaching hardware.  If you have not yet inspected your car or rechecked values after a repair...please do not put if off much longer...you have a lot riding on another man's workmanship

• Like 1

Larry...........congratulations.......YOU win the prize!!.........lol........seriously tho I have never heard of a steering shaft coming off the worm.......I did not think that was even possible without removing the shaft with the worm and doing it on the bench.........mate I'd be buying a couple of lottery tickets.....lol........sounds like a good reason to go thru the rest of the front end, steering, brakes, suspension...etc.....you are indeed a very lucky camper......thanks for this have certainly learnt something today.....regards, andyd

Larry...........congratulations.......YOU win the prize!!.........lol........seriously tho I have never heard of a steering shaft coming off the worm.......I did not think that was even possible without removing the shaft with the worm and doing it on the bench.........mate I'd be buying a couple of lottery tickets.....lol........sounds like a good reason to go thru the rest of the front end, steering, brakes, suspension...etc.....you are indeed a very lucky camper......thanks for this have certainly learnt something today.....regards, andyd

Gotta agree here. Lucky lucky!! The worm is a very tight pressed on fit onto the end of the shaft. I cannot even comprehend how that steering shaft could come loose like that. Don't bother buying lottery tickets because I think you have used up all your luck. Shame on the previous owner if he knew of the problem and did not inform you. You are lucky not to be a statistic!

I just pressed one apart a couple weeks ago and yes they are a very tight press fit.

I don't know how the worm came loose from the tube although the worm and tube on the 1947 chrysler "8" steering gear was improperly pressed together from the factory!

The keyway was not properly aligned when the worm and tube were pressed together.......

post-302-0-38233800-1398206158_thumb.jpg

post-302-0-16501400-1398206189_thumb.jpg

post-302-0-70372100-1398206213_thumb.jpg

There is no separate key to insert. The worm gear has the key cast into it....

I don't think you can safely fix your worm gear and tube in a case like yours. Someone might have already pressed it together improperly. You will have to see. Be careful with repairs on worn or damaged steering worm and tube parts.

Bob

post-302-0-06659000-1398207081_thumb.jpg

Edited by Dodgeb4ya
  • Like 1

Are you sure the wheel comes back a FEW INCHES?......when I got my 1941 P11 Coupe, the steering wheel would move in/out about 1/2"..........that was very disconcerting , turned out to be the previous owners attempt at fixing the horn and he had not retightened the nut that holds the steering wheel onto the spline at the top of the column..........the wheel coming back a few inches scares the crap outa me ........lol.........the steering box is held onto the chassis via those triangular arranged 3 bolts, they go thru a plate on the outside of the chassis then a rubber pad then thru the chassis, thru another rubber pad on the inside of the chassis and then into the steering box.........the rubber pads can get badly affected by oil etc and become very sponge like making the steering box move and are definitely worth replacing........as for any movement in the box that lets the steering shaft move inches it sounds like you need to try and adjust the lower worm bearing at least although I can't imagine how it could have that much free play.......but am happy to be corrected..........I'd be checking the steering wheel nut first then the steering box adjustments and then the rubber pads......the large nut is the pitman arm nut, to remove it you undo the nut then use a puller to remove the pitman arm or if you are lucky a large hammer wacked on the side of the pitman arm can sometimes jolt it free......... to remove the steering box you have to jack the car quite a way off the ground to get enough clearance for the steering column to be removed from underneath with the box attached ......the steering wheel, gearshift mechanism etc all need to be removed to allow sufficient clearance to get the column out.....its a fiddly time consuming job......I'd be looking at whatever I could do before removing the box and column......I was able to replace both rubber steering box pads after undoing those 3 bolts and gently prising the box to the side to allow the removal and replacement.......fiddly but doable.......bw welcomear forum.....these guys are great......regards from downunder.....Andy Douglas

Andy, all very good advice, except I would not take a large hammer & whack the pitman arm side of the sector shaft. This will force it against the adjustment screw/cover plate & bend the plate. Use of a puller should be the only way the remove the pitman arm. To re-install the pitman arm may take a bit of "persuasion" from a BFH, but I would do it with the cover off & only enough to get the nut started & let it do the rest of the work.

Edited by deathbound