Make sure your connections are good & tight

BobT-47P15

Just a reminder to check to be sure all your connections are tight. My ammeter was showing a constant discharge. So i finally decided to stand on my head and get under the dash...and sure enough, i needed to tighten the nuts on the back of the gauge. Now it shows charging when the car is running. And I've checked things under the hood too. These old 6 volt systems can work just fine if things are in good order.

Yesterday (a really nice day here in west NY - finally) was my annual go through the D24 and tighten things up day.  Amazing the little things (read "annoying things") that work better when the connections are tight.  I don't gorilla-torque (as the crowd I grew up with firmly believed), so I've made a regular once-over a habit.

Robert......I see what you mean.  I typed this article on my cell phone......and was not wearing my $1.99 reading

glasses.  So what I thought was right was a letter off........

I would correct it, except I don't think that's possible from this vantage point.

Now, if I can get a carb that works good, things will be even better.

I gave it new plugs  distributor cap and checked firing order a couple days ago.

Have also new points, condensor and rotor to install.  

Changed carbs, but the one I installed has proved to be a problem when starting

after sitting overnight.  Will try to adjust the float on the previous carb and put it

back on.  Son in law went thru and did a rebuild but it wasn't doing quite right

either.

Also need to install new upper right front wheel cylinder and new front brake

hoses that are now on hand.  Always something to do it seems.  But that's 

part of the fun.

Edited by BobT-47P15

I ran my 50 chevy truck for almost a year with an intermittent charging problem before I got serious and started really looking for the problem. It turned out to be a loose screw in the voltage regulator.

Mine always seems to have a problem with a screw loose in front of the steering wheel :D

In front of or behind? Seems like mine is behind the wheel. :)

I guess that depends on the side of wheel you're looking. I assume although it's a different screw, it's in the same spot.

Robert......I see what you mean.  I typed this article on my cell phone......and was not wearing my $1.99 reading

glasses.  So what I thought was right was a letter off........

I would correct it, except I don't think that's possible from this vantage point.

Now, if I can get a carb that works good, things will be even better.

I gave it new plugs  distributor cap and checked firing order a couple days ago.

Have also new points, condensor and rotor to install.  

Changed carbs, but the one I installed has proved to be a problem when starting

after sitting overnight.  Will try to adjust the float on the previous carb and put it

back on.  Son in law went thru and did a rebuild but it wasn't doing quite right

either.

Also need to install new upper right front wheel cylinder and new front brake

hoses that are now on hand.  Always something to do it seems.  But that's 

part of the fun.

The likely problem that results in a hard start after sitting overnight, or for longer spells is usually the fuel pump check valve.

If the check valve is worn, it will permit all the fuel between the carb and the pump to leak back down to the tank over a period of time.

The hard start results when you've only got gas in the fuel bowl, and none in the line. So on first start it catches then dies, and the pump has to work extra hard to fill the line again.

If you find that the fuel has drained out of the float bowl overnight, then you've got a more serious problem (not the float level) inside the carburetor.