Removing the starter's over-ride clutch

Go to solution Solved by Bobacuda,

So, my next headache is trying to get the "over-ride clutch" off of the armature of my starter.  I got a new over-ride clutch, but I have not been able to figure out how to release the old one, yet.  It appears that there is some form of a locking mechanism in the washer (for lack of a better term) located on the armature end closest to the flywheel.

The Dodge Shop Manual is less than helpful, as was a 1955 Motors Manual.  Has anyone changed one of these before and have any words of wisdom to share?

Thanks.

If it's has the retainer/stop on the end of the armature, it has to be driven off, gently. A deep well socket that's a bit loose over the end of the shaft is all that's needed with a few gentle taps of a hammer. Then the wire circlip needs to be removed. It should fit tight on the shaft and will come off hard. It's a fairly stiff piece. It will probably open up a bit when prying off. To install, I use a vise to close it back up before putting it back on the shaft. Be sure to put the retainer on before the circlip with the open end toward the circlip groove. You can then pry the retainer ring back over the circlip, easiest if you tilt the retainer and start it over the exposed ends of the circlip first.

Edited by Dave72dt

Dave -
Thanks for the info.  This sounds like it is going to be an adventure tomorrow when I get home from work.  To make certain I understand, I tap the retainer toward the windings on the shaft, remove the clip without launching it across the garage, install new part, put retainer on, reinstall clip on the shaft with the retainer.  What could I possibly do wrong? :rolleyes:

You got it! Couple holes in your fingers from screwdrivers slipping off, use of descriptive language taking it off and putting it back on. Clamp the armature down in a vise. it works better if you're not chasing it all over the bench.

• Solution

Dave -

Good advice.  Since I already had the starter apart, it took me about 10 minutes to get the starter clutch off the armature and to replace it...without poking holes in my fingers or launching the retainer clip into space!  Now, all I need to do is find the correct starter switch/button... :)