2 barrel carb on a Pilothouse?

I was wondering if anyone here has actually tried fitting a later 2 barrel manifold on a Pilothouse series truck? If so would you share your experience here. What carb did you use? How did you get the linkage to work? etc...

I have a 54 230 in my truck and I can't help thinking it might be real nice if it breathed a bit better than the 1 barrel allows.

Thanks in advance.

Jeff

They made a 2 bbl manifold for a flattie?  I can't speak about that, but on the slant six in my 1/2 ton, the two bbl makes a huge difference.  The factory setup (called a Super Six) included a Carter BBD or a Holley two bbl with a 2 bbl manifold.  I know for a fact that this improved performance.  Back in the 80's the factory manifold cracked and I couldn't find a replacement Super Six setup. I put on a single barrel setup and the truck was a dog.  I have long since replaced it with another Super six setup.  I also had a custom exhaust bent for it since they are no longer available.  The larger diameter pipe made a difference on the low end, as did re-curving the distributor.  You're right-if you can get it in, you've got to be able to get it out.

I have one of these planned out for my 40 plymouth build that I haven't gotten to yet. The 2barrel manifolds came as an option on 56-57 dodges and plymouths. I haven't crossed the linkage frontier yet so I can't comment on that. I will say the factory specs do show a boost in HP for these cars over the 1barrel models and they used the same exhaust manifold as far as I know.

Hi Ed;

Hey how are you?

That pretty much jives with what I have been able to find on this. Something like a 6 to 8 hp gain on this swap. I have a brand new freeflow exhaust system with a magnaflow muffler which should be up to the task. I have done stuff like this in the past on other engines and gained a decent boost in fuel economy as well. Even a 5% decrease in fuel consumption pays for itself in fairly short order these days.

Jeff

The only shots I have currently are with the carb installed. I will try and get one with it removed. The carb that came on it is a stromberg I thing W2 model?

DSC00978.jpg

Thanks Ed;

The manifold looks like it has the boss for the Pilothouse type linkage? That would be a big plus if it could be made to work with this carb. I don't know anything about these carbs but I will have to start studying up. I imagine there may be other options here as well.

Thanks again, Jeff

• 1 year later...

Jeff did you get any further with your research? I was looking online and found a few single to dual carb adapters, but I think your right in that the linkage may be the toughest part to rig up. I'm leaning to a V8 swap in the next couple years....I'm having power withdrawal going from my Monaco to the truck lol

Jeff did you get any further with your research? I was looking online and found a few single to dual carb adapters, but I think your right in that the linkage may be the toughest part to rig up. I'm leaning to a V8 swap in the next couple years....I'm having power withdrawal going from my Monaco to the truck lol

Hmmm, kinda my thinking to, but your engine is rebuilt, correct.

Why not hop it up, not that cheap, but a shaved head, cam grind, dual or tri intake and split exhaust, that would liven things up.

Your truck is light so a 200 hp V8 would be night and day, SBC ? very doable

I would be real happy with a 10 or 15 hp boost. Mine does not feel underpowered as it is but a wee bit more on tap would be nice. Don't need a hot rod....for the same reason I don't need a gun. If f you don't have it you can't use it.  :D

Jeff

I agree Jeff, infact with the right recipe, you could get another 25-30 hp on the smaller engines and maybe another 50 hp on a 265 very simply, and still be streetable.

I would think a rebuilt 251 or 265, with an increase of 30-40 hp, would be a very nice boost.

Having said this, some would say, heck, I can use a 360, and have 250 hp, and it won't be a ton of money. I have the 318 engine, its a smog motor, and maybe I can do a few things and get 180-200 hp, that would be plenty with my light little truck...

I agree Jeff, infact with the right recipe, you could get another 25-30 hp on the smaller engines and maybe another 50 hp on a 265 very simply, and still be streetable.

I would think a rebuilt 251 or 265, with an increase of 30-40 hp, would be a very nice boost.

Having said this, some would say, heck, I can use a 360, and have 250 hp, and it won't be a ton of money. I have the 318 engine, its a smog motor, and maybe I can do a few things and get 180-200 hp, that would be plenty with my light little truck...

Well yes you could probably get that sort of power without giving up too much.reliability. But I think it wouldn't make much sense to go too far with things. 10 to 20hp should be an adequate increase. I am sure you would notice it.

Years ago I had a wicked little Triumph Spitfire. An honest to goodness giant killer. And the engine itself was fully built and yet very reliable. But it was hell on a lot of the other components like half shafts,clutches and water pump bearings. Not to mention tires and brakes. The problem was it was so much fun to drive I just couldn't keep my foot out of it. Thank god I got that out of my system without hurting anyone. 

Jeff. .  .

• Like 1

Well yes you could probably get that sort of power without giving up too much.reliability. But I think it wouldn't make much sense to go too far with things. 10 to 20hp should be an adequate increase. I am sure you would notice it.

Years ago I had a wicked little Triumph Spitfire. An honest to goodness giant killer. And the engine itself was fully built and yet very reliable. But it was hell on a lot of the other components like half shafts,clutches and water pump bearings. Not to mention tires and brakes. The problem was it was so much fun to drive I just couldn't keep my foot out of it. Thank god I got that out of my system without hurting anyone. 

Jeff. .  .

Yes 20hp added to a 110 hp engine would be noticeable, and yes a little more hp can be had, to a point and within reason.

To be honest, if I need power, I have an off-topic Ram truck with a 395 hp 5.7 litre hemi engine, that cures my thirst for any power...

Their aren't many options for the 25" block, they are just starting to produce headers now if I'm correct on the Stovebolt site, and I still haven't seen many 25" intake manifolds other then some specialty guys doing them, I have a shaved head and I didn't cam it because they said mine was in very good shape, it was likely replaced on the first rebuild from the factory. It would be probably another $1000 to get manifolds, then rebuild another carb and new exhaust, and by that time....yes...maybe 25hp? I can buy a crate 350 with about 325hp for 1500 U.S. from Jegs and never look back....but my intentions always were to keep this a flathead truck...but the more and more car shows we do that are hours from home are making me rethink the idea. Not as much fun dragging this truck around on a trailer, and beating it up for hours on end trying to maintain speed limits isn't an option either.

For $30 I can try a carb adapter, maybe a little port and polish on my spare manifold set...see if I can free anything up...but that's a winter job

Their aren't many options for the 25" block, they are just starting to produce headers now if I'm correct on the Stovebolt site, and I still haven't seen many 25" intake manifolds other then some specialty guys doing them, I have a shaved head and I didn't cam it because they said mine was in very good shape, it was likely replaced on the first rebuild from the factory. It would be probably another $1000 to get manifolds, then rebuild another carb and new exhaust, and by that time....yes...maybe 25hp? I can buy a crate 350 with about 325hp for 1500 U.S. from Jegs and never look back....but my intentions always were to keep this a flathead truck...but the more and more car shows we do that are hours from home are making me rethink the idea. Not as much fun dragging this truck around on a trailer, and beating it up for hours on end trying to maintain speed limits isn't an option either.

For $30 I can try a carb adapter, maybe a little port and polish on my spare manifold set...see if I can free anything up...but that's a winter job

I don't know..... that might make a bit of a difference. Couldn't you make a split exhaust manifold out of an old one? The ones I have seen that George Asche makes look pretty simple. I doubt if the price difference between a real set of headers and something like this is justified on anything less than a racer. Maybe a 2bbl and a split exhaust would get you what you need?

I thought you had a T5 in your truck? Isn't it a decent cruiser with the higher gearing? I plan on using mine full time. It is going to have to be functional. I will have to drive it a while to determine if I need to do more than the 3.55 rear end I put in. I think I can get 3.23 and maybe even 3.07 gearing to fit this axle.

Jeff

The t5 was great, but the added weight and power rob of the pump are now making the truck drag a bit in 5th gear. I haven't done a new compression test, but I wonder if I had some rings stick a bit over its year parked. I was considering building one of those exh manifolds, seen one on a truck here one time, but I lost the picture of how it was done.

what are you talking about, no headers or split exhaust well there is Charlie Akers, Tim kingsbury/george Asche who are AoK racing, they have a beautiful cast 3 carb intake, split exhausts, they can make you a dual intake carb intake too.There prices are quite reasonable. With a shaved head, and a little more lift and duration from the cam(not a stock profile).

Dragging the truck on the trailer, how come so many others drive there modified flatheads all over on highways and have no problem, with your T5 trans I thought that should be doable.

I think going to a SBC is okay, just another amongst the masses at Manitoba car shows. You will have more HP, will no doubt cruise a whole lot faster too.

I would forget that carb adaptor, you end up with the same size hole in the intake as a B&B 1bbl.

What engine do you have ? The 98 hp long block 218?

A 251 or 265 tricked out a bit would be a whole lot different.

Here look at this, 

• Like 1

A three carb intake is a waste in my mind,too much carb for too little motor. I see guys all the time running 750 and 800 cfm carbs on their small and even big blocks and it's too much, their just slobbering and gaining nothing. Dual carbs would be fine but reasonable is not $400 for each piece...and most prices are American, so add another .30 on every dollar and their not mass produced pieces, these are one offs and build to order. I don't know many others around me riding around the miles I do with their flatheads....are you willing to drive 1100+ Kms each way to Red Deer in possible +30 heat? There are limitations to these trucks and you can't just pull over and grab a part at any jobber, your going to get stuck, even days possibly, or be looking at a massive tow bill. If I was just running back and forth to Brandon or very local shows it would be fine. I seem to recall you were talking about a 318 in your truck, why not build your 251. It's already more expensive just to rebuild one of these flatheads, for what I have into mine I could have built a mean 350, but chose to spend the cash and go for nostalgia....but my goals are changing...option two is park my truck and build another truck

Don't want to hijack a truck thread but I came across a two barrel intake on a 55 dodge cornet, it was factory with a stromberg model ww carb. I bolted up a holley electric choke and fabricated a throttle cable to replace the mismatch in linkages. I need to adjust the choke some more as it runs great when it's cold but sputters a little on a hard acceleration when it's warmed up. I assume the butterfly shaft is a little worn and creating a vacuum leak. Overall I'm pretty happy with it and can tell the difference between it and the single barrel

A three carb intake is a waste in my mind,too much carb for too little motor. I see guys all the time running 750 and 800 cfm carbs on their small and even big blocks and it's too much, their just slobbering and gaining nothing. Dual carbs would be fine but reasonable is not $400 for each piece...and most prices are American, so add another .30 on every dollar and their not mass produced pieces, these are one offs and build to order. I don't know many others around me riding around the miles I do with their flatheads....are you willing to drive 1100+ Kms each way to Red Deer in possible +30 heat? There are limitations to these trucks and you can't just pull over and grab a part at any jobber, your going to get stuck, even days possibly, or be looking at a massive tow bill. If I was just running back and forth to Brandon or very local shows it would be fine. I seem to recall you were talking about a 318 in your truck, why not build your 251. It's already more expensive just to rebuild one of these flatheads, for what I have into mine I could have built a mean 350, but chose to spend the cash and go for nostalgia....but my goals are changing...option two is park my truck and build another truck

Thats not necessarily true in this case at all, you get better efficient and atomized fuel to all 3 intake ports.

If you are interested in finding out more on this topic, you really need to talk with folks like Tim Kingsbury or George Asche, and a number of others on the car side.

Hot weather, come on Shane, this is Canada, and while it is good and warm, it ain't nothing like the south in summer, heck Alberta is not that hot at all IMHO.but a long drive in an old truck in the heat may have it's negatives. What are the southern folks doing, granted most are not driving huge long distances, but some are, even Don Coatney was driving 700 miles a day at speeds to 75 mph, same transmission as yours.

318, yup have 1 on my garage floor, and it is Mopar, need a trans and whole lot more before it could be swapped in, but I am still no where near convinced I want to do this yet. I have a Hemi Ram, for comfort high speed travel, when need be. I have certainly not ruled out building my 251, that with the speed items is far cooler than any Chevy crate motor going.

But again it's your truck, and you have the right to have it anyway you want to have it.

Dollar exchange, yup, not good at the moment, buying from Jegs will verify that.

Edited by Fargos-Go-Far

Not sure why people think it's not hot here? I mean it's not Texas or California hot, but we have a lot of days that are 75-85+ degrees and with very high humidity, which all plays in miles on these old girls. Even a fresh 251 is still a 60+ year old block, and crank and some internals, and an old rad up front cooling it....and I'm running a steering pump that these other guys are not, which is robbing ponies from me. Some guys are content running 55mph all day, but when you run with a crew of all V8 cars, and all putting out good power, their looking to take advantage and I'm not looking to hold anyone back.

I've got extra parts to make up a dual exhaust manifold...so it might be worth playing around....but these engines will never be anything spectacular in a heavy truck.

Not sure why people think it's not hot here? I mean it's not Texas or California hot, but we have a lot of days that are 75-85+ degrees and with very high humidity, which all plays in miles on these old girls. Even a fresh 251 is still a 60+ year old block, and crank and some internals, and an old rad up front cooling it....and I'm running a steering pump that these other guys are not, which is robbing ponies from me. Some guys are content running 55mph all day, but when you run with a crew of all V8 cars, and all putting out good power, their looking to take advantage and I'm not looking to hold anyone back.

I've got extra parts to make up a dual exhaust manifold...so it might be worth playing around....but these engines will never be anything spectacular in a heavy truck.

yup makes sense, how heavy is your truck? Mine is very light around 3000 lbs.

If anywhere we in the Winnipeg, and Interlake have it quite humd, and yes we get a bit of hot weather, but it ain't nothing like Oklahoma, Missouri, or the Old South, they be getting 95-100f and humidex of 110.I would prefer cooler at say 22-24, over that slimy heat....