Throwout bearing / clutch fork variances

40desoto

I noticed that the throwout bearing from my 40 desoto (pictured in center) from an  R7B transmission is slightly smaller than that of a 1940 plymouth (pictured far left and far right is a Jeep Cherokee bearing) therefore so is the clutch fork.

Since I plan on using the new Jeep Cherokee throwout bearing because the inside diameter fits on my T5 S10 transmission,  Im wondering if I get the clutch fork off a Plymouth that fits the Cherokee throwout bearing will the length of the clutch form be the same as the one pictures below?  Clutch fork pictured is also off of the 1940 Desoto with a R7B OD tranny.

post-4811-0-29217200-1397712612_thumb.jpgpost-4811-0-87143100-1397712628_thumb.jpg

Edited by 40desoto

Thank you Don.  Did you also have to hone down the throwout bearing, or turning down the shaft reduce it enough for the bearing to fit.  I do not have a good usable original  throwout bearing and carrier so I would like to pursue using the cherokee throwout. 

Wondering if anyone has a Plymouth or dodge clutch fork that can take some measurements for me. If it measures up to the fork I have pictures I will pursue in my search for a plymouth/dodge fork.

Wondering if anyone has a Plymouth or dodge clutch fork that can take some measurements for me. If it measures up to the fork I have pictures I will pursue in my search for a plymouth/dodge fork.

I could do some measurements, but the one I have would be a 41-54 fork. Let me know if that would be any help. Sort of buried in the shed right now.

Edited by shel_ny

Hate to bring this topic back up, but does anyone know what years the fork changed?  are the Desoto/Chrystler forks used the same as Plymouth/Dodge?

Thank You Shel_NY for the clutch fork.  I did run a bit longer than my stock Desoto one. 

The throw out bearing holder  from the Desoto is about 1/4 of an inch narrower than the one from the Plymouth therefore so is the fork. .  the bearing itself an distance from the face of the bearing to the surface where the fork pushes is also the same.

post-4811-0-05831500-1398282689_thumb.jpg

post-4811-0-66970300-1398282689_thumb.jpg

post-4811-0-80591700-1398282734_thumb.jpeg

• 1 year later...

I'd like to bring this one back up to the top.  I received my new engine and transmission.  The engine is a 48, I'm not sure of the year of the transmission, its an R10 overdrive.  I will be reusing the bell housing from my 1940 original engine.  I need to determine what clutch fork and clutch release bearing I need.  Or at least a best guess on the bearing.  Bernbaum shows different bearings for 38-41 and 42-56.  My best guess is that the release fork length coincides with the bell housing and that I should be using a 38-41 throwout bearing/sleeve with my original clutch fork.  But I'd like to get confirmation on that if possible.