Glove box bumper and plug

47heaven
Go to solution Solved by Andydodge,

I want to thank Joe Flannigan for hooking me up with the glove box door catch. I can now close the door without any magnets to keep it closed. The only problem now is that when I latch push button to open the door, it doesn't spring open. I'm assuming that it's because it's missing the glove box bumpers and plugs, which probably are meant to put pressure of the closed door to slightly pop open when the latch button is pushed? Where can I get some new ones or ones that would be equivalent for my P15? I didn't see them on AB's site.

• Solution

I think you maybe missing the glove box latch spring..........I have been playing with 1940 Dodges since 1969 when I bought my 1st 1940 Oz Coupe and after pulling another 6 or 7 1940 Dodge sedans apart I was still none the wiser........my wife always complained about how awkward it was to open the glove box lid...............however about 3 or 4 yrs ago I saw a thread on here about a Glove Box Spring and although I think it referred to a later mopar the light finally came on in my head!!!...............lol.......after seeing what was more or less originally there I worked out that a small spring steel clip that was used to hold brake lines onto a chassis would work if I drilled a hole here and cut and shortened it there.........and there you have it.......after 40 yrs both me and more importantly "she who must be obeyed" can now push the glove box button and the glove box DOES indeed open...........lol............thank you P15-D24 Forum........btw I can't remember who or when this was mentione d but it was about 3-4 yrs ago.............lol..........hope this helps........andyd

Assuming you have the correct upper latch.......a metal piece with a screw and nut through it......the screw can be 

adjusted in or out, then tighten the nut.

I had to adjust mine the other day as it caught and held too much.....had

to pry open the door a few times before getting it right.    It's not rocket science, but you have to work with even

something simple as that door to get it working correctly.  

Here's a picture of that glove box door spring.  It's a flat piece of metal with a curve in one end.  Applies a little pressure against the door.

Bob...thanks for the photo. I was searching on here last night for the bumpers, thinking that those were what I needed so that the door would pop open, not even knowing that it had a spring at one time. I went and looked around at the door hinge, and my spring is definitely missing, as you can see in the photo below. It probably has been since I took the dash board apart to get it painted back in 2007. The latch shows no sign of ever having a spring, like I've just seen in some of the other pics shown in threads on here regarding glove box springs

I did find this one piece in the glove box, and though it looks old, I don't think that it is the piece you were talking about. Not sure what it goes to.

20140417_213048.jpg

20140417_213014.jpg

20140417_213138.jpg

I think you maybe missing the glove box latch spring..........I have been playing with 1940 Dodges since 1969 when I bought my 1st 1940 Oz Coupe and after pulling another 6 or 7 1940 Dodge sedans apart I was still none the wiser........my wife always complained about how awkward it was to open the glove box lid...............however about 3 or 4 yrs ago I saw a thread on here about a Glove Box Spring and although I think it referred to a later mopar the light finally came on in my head!!!...............lol.......after seeing what was more or less originally there I worked out that a small spring steel clip that was used to hold brake lines onto a chassis would work if I drilled a hole here and cut and shortened it there.........and there you have it.......after 40 yrs both me and more importantly "she who must be obeyed" can now push the glove box button and the glove box DOES indeed open...........lol............thank you P15-D24 Forum........btw I can't remember who or when this was mentione d but it was about 3-4 yrs ago.............lol..........hope this helps........andyd

Andy...do you have a pic of what you came up with? I really doubt that I will find the correct spring for my car, so I'm all for rigging something up, as you did.

Darin, just went and took some pics of it..........gotta work out how to load them.........lol.......she who must be obeyed usually does this........watch this space.........lol.......andyd

Darin.....hopefully these pics will come thru.......the little pale green thing in the hole in the middle of the glove box door hinge is the spring, the 4th pic shows how much the spring pushes the lid away from the dash when the button is pushed.........andyd

post-612-0-96956800-1397906020_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-38921400-1397906044_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-97660100-1397906082_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-78581300-1397906110_thumb.jpg

Andy.....your glovebox and spring are totally different from a P15.  Good pics though.

Darin......that little piece you found in the box is used on the back side of the dash for holding

certain trim items in place......kind of like a washer.  If you look back there you should see some

more of those things (if someone hasn't removed them and failed to put them back).

The glove box door spring on a P15 doesn't look much like a normal spring.  You could probably

make your own - as someone mentioned earlier.  It just exerts enough tension on the lid to make

it pop open.   

Bob, yep I thought it would be a different spring but thought that the pic of mine may show what it actually did, until I was shown that one existed I had no idea........lol.......trust it has helped tho.............andyd

Yesterday afternoon, I was toying with the idea of making my own glove compartment door bumpers instead of buying them off of Ebay. Went down to Lowe's and bought two 9/16 x 3/8 x 1 rubber stoppers (those were the smallest they had) and a package of 3/8 metal screws. I also used some washers I already had for support for the screw.

20140422_174125.jpg

20140422_180316.jpg

I then measured how far out the stoppers would protrude from the dash and trimmed them to the size I needed.

20140422_174447.jpg

20140422_174710.jpg

I then glued the two washers together (optional) so that the screw wouldn't protrude through the stopper when screwed in from the back of the dash.

20140422_180744.jpg

I then pushed the screw in from the back of the hole and secured it with a small screwdriver.

20140422_183203.jpg

Then, I placed a little adhesive on the back of the stopper and twisted it onto the screw until it was flush against the surface of the dashboard. Then, I held the stopper in place and tightened the screw from behind.

20140422_182202.jpg

In total, I spent $2.50 in materials, and they look like something that belonged there originally.

Edited by 47heaven
  • Like 1

Andy.....your glovebox and spring are totally different from a P15.  Good pics though.

Darin......that little piece you found in the box is used on the back side of the dash for holding

certain trim items in place......kind of like a washer.  If you look back there you should see some

more of those things (if someone hasn't removed them and failed to put them back).

The glove box door spring on a P15 doesn't look much like a normal spring.  You could probably

make your own - as someone mentioned earlier.  It just exerts enough tension on the lid to make

it pop open.

Bob....while I was putting on the glove box door bumpers yesterday, I took a pic from behind the dash and noticed after I took the pic where that stray piece I have went.

20140422_182633.jpg

Edited by 47heaven

This might or might not help. Pictures of the glove box latch on my P-15. My spring does not have a lot of spring. But I have learned that if I use one finger to push the button and quickly bounce the button with my finger it opens every time.

Don...I tried what you said after making adjustments with the adjustment bolt, but every time it hit the button fast, the door would bounce back a tiny bit, but still get hung up on the adjustment bolt and stay ajar. I thought with the new rubber bumpers I installed that the door would have to tension pushing on it, but there is still some loose gap between the door and where it's supposed to hit the bumpers. I thought that when the latch connected with the bolt that it would pull the door tightly against the bumpers, creating some pressure so that the door would spring open when the button was pushed.

20140422_191354.jpg

This is how the door should shut normally (I'm pushing on it in this pic)

20140422_191335.jpg

....but this is how it shuts if I just shut it regularly without pushing it in. You can see the gap is wider, and the door is not up against the bumpers.

20140422_185451.jpg

This is the farthest the catch in the latch will go down when the button is pushed all the way in. Should it be going down lower than that? This might be why it's hanging up on the bolt upon opening it.

20140422_191503.jpg

This is how I have to open it....push the button in with my thumb and pull the door open with my other fingers.

Edited by 47heaven

For those of us that want to take the easier route my local hardware store (and I suspect many others) has a bin full of automotive bumpers and I found ones that looked just like the originals.