47 Chrysler starter question

I'm bringing a 47 Chrysler Royal 3 window coupe back to life and have a question about the starter.  I have no key for the car and I'd like to see if the engine is free.  Some time back I removed the spark plugs and poured in ATF, I can't seem to get a socket and bar on the harmonic balancer bolt so I thought I'd just give the starter a quick bump and see if it turns the motor.  

When I bridge contact between the two main posts the starter turns freely, however I need the solenoid to engage.  When I run a lead from the negative side of the battery to the outboard solenoid terminal it definitely engages but then bridging the two main posts below have no effect.  I'm feeling like I'm doing something wrong and don't want to fry anything.  Any thoughts?

• 2 years later...
On 4/11/2014 at 3:33 PM, Don Coatney said:

I would not recommend using the starter to spin a locked up engine as damage can occur. Suggest you remove the clutch inspection cover and use a pry bar on the flywheel teeth to make an attempt to spin the engine.

I have had the teeth break with this procedure. Buy this tool.

LIS23800nopkg.jpg

• 7 months later...