Odd Head Bolt

superfunk

Background:

The car is a 41 Dodge Kingsway.  It's a Canadian model.  Has a 218ci with the longer 25" block.  It's an un-restored car with about 35,000 miles on it.  The thing is in very good shape.  Looks like it has been parked most of it's life.  I picked it up last spring off a guy who had it for a couple of years and only did the brakes and tires on her.

I drove it a lot last year and decided to go through the car thoroughly this winter.  When I pulled the head off, I notice an odd head bolt.  See the picture below.  I included a normal head bolt for comparison.  It was in the second position from the front on the driver's side.  Looks to be #12 in the tightening sequence.  I have not been able to find anything about this.  It looks like the motor has never been rebuilt or even apart.  Can anyone tell me anything about this piece?  I need to replace a few bent/stretched head bolts.  Can you replace this one, or should it stay in there?

(Sorry for the poor lighting in the picture)

20140409_203922.jpg

e27e703d-8494-46ee-b1fb-4061b7c756c9.jpg

Thanks,

Adam

Some pictures of the old girl for fun:

a92e37be-b8f0-4b5e-8da4-6de3d2a43937.jpg

5e934ea8-db5c-40b0-83e1-90b261dce8a8.jpg

a38a3a76-c79b-4251-ba0c-98752d17c644.jpg

Engine block heater. Lower portion is a heating element that goes into the water jacket. should be a connection for a wire on the top that plugs into a 110 volt house receptacle. If the wire and plug are missing most likely the heating element does not work.

How does a head bolt get bent?

• 4 weeks later...

Not in stock configuration.

I concur. However, once a head has been removed a few times, it tends to get a bit chewed up where the headbolts have been removed and replaced. I have seen lots of cars with just a flat washer under the headbolts to prevent that. As long as you have some kind of sealant on the bolts when installed, there will be no leaks. I use anti-sieze on all headbolts.

• Like 1