Drum brakes

Go to solution Solved by 55 Fargo,

I am replacing the brake wheel cylinders on my 52 Fargo F0-1 1/2 ton truck , my supplier is telling me there is a difference from the left and right side, size of the wheel cylinder , can some one explain and if so which side is the larger .

Two different sized bores per cylinder.  One is a mirror image of the other.  I think MoPar did this because they didn't have self actuating brakes.  The ones on the front of my 1 ton, and 2.5 ton were the same p/n's and were purchased at my local NAPA dealer. Mike

I can only get a listing for Raybestos WC3596 and they are $140 each

Is business slow, or did you walk into the store with a shirt from Target ? In all honesty that sounds very high. I'd check with our sponsored Pilothouse (& Fargo) dealers like Gary Roberts or Andy Bernbaum first. Vintage Power Wagons is also a reputable and reasonable source for parts for our trucks. 

Brakes-130_zps0358335d.jpg

I see you are pretty new to the forum and welcome. If you send me a private message by clicking on my user name, I think I can (it's 4mb) send a digital copy of the brake section of the truck manual to your private email adress.

Hank  :)

Edited by HanksB3B

I can only get a listing for Raybestos WC3596 and they are $140 each

. Some times the Dodge and FArgo trucks share the same parts and will also check that.

I will look in my WAGNER BRAKE CATALOG TO SEE IF I CAN GET A WAGNER NUMBER

Rich HArtung

Desoto1939@aol.com

Dug out my service and parts books for that year and under the repair kit section they show two different cups and the small piston cup points to the front of the vehicle .Another question can anyone give me maximum drum measurements fronts are 10.?? And rears are 11.?? I cannot find that info on the drum or in any of my manuals .

USA Dodge 1-1/2 ton ( F series) truck front drums are 14-1/8" inch diameter and rears are 16".

But mine is a half ton with 11" on rear and 10" on front

hey, in Manitoba, those max drum measurements will be .060 over, so they can be machined 30 thou over for a max of 60 thou measurement.

Phone tomorrow to Norm Dumontier at Mid Canada Suspension 1-204-475-3399, he will answer your questions and be able to supply you the wheel cyls you need.....good luck, us Manitoba Canucks need to stick together.....LOL

Sorry---I read it as a  F0-1 1/2 ton truck. Canadian code designations throw me off. :confused:

USA 1/2 tons are just as you say 10" front and 11" on the rear. I suppose up north they must be the same. :)

Bob

Edited by Dodgeb4ya

Just made a rookie mistake and got my local auto store to get the parts on order , price is always a concern but I didn't think I had options until I contacted some of the sponsored sites that you guys suggested ,my mistake the sponsored guys could have saved me lots $$$ auto store$125. Sponsored site $45 good lesson learned .

• 2 weeks later...

Got the new front brake cylinders in and new shoes on bought a panel truck this summer it's getting a Dakota frame swap and took the good drums off it . New wheel seals ,king pins that I bought awhile back repack the bearings .Bleed all the brakes adjusted the brakes as per service manual .Snow is finally gone and the streets are dry enough so I took her out for a test drive ,stops and steers great I will put another 30 miles on her then recheck the brake drag and might have to readjust the brakes . I am still wanting to do a rear axle gear ratio swap 3:55.??? Some local guys think they might have a carrier assembly out of a car that might work ,it's my understanding that my truck axle is 10 spline on the pinion spider gears and I need to check as this will be an issue .If anyone has done this please let me know what vehicle will work ,I was just wanting to swap the ratio not a complete axle, wanting to keep it original.

Got the new front brake cylinders in and new shoes on bought a panel truck this summer it's getting a Dakota frame swap and took the good drums off it . New wheel seals ,king pins that I bought awhile back repack the bearings .Bleed all the brakes adjusted the brakes as per service manual .Snow is finally gone and the streets are dry enough so I took her out for a test drive ,stops and steers great I will put another 30 miles on her then recheck the brake drag and might have to readjust the brakes . I am still wanting to do a rear axle gear ratio swap 3:55.??? Some local guys think they might have a carrier assembly out of a car that might work ,it's my understanding that my truck axle is 10 spline on the pinion spider gears and I need to check as this will be an issue .If anyone has done this please let me know what vehicle will work ,I was just wanting to swap the ratio not a complete axle, wanting to keep it original.

As I mentioned before, any of the 10 spline pumpkin should work, usually from early 40s through 54. The 3.55 gears will most likely be out of a Chrysler car equipped with the semi-auto trans. The 16 spline diffs can work if you swap the sides to 10 spline a little more indepth. Canada may not have so many 3.55 diffs around, as there would have been way more built and sold in the USA. Check out any 46-50 Chrysler cars, lots will have this gear ratio you want.

Congrats on the brakes and front end work, drove my truck a bit today too. There was so much snow in the Interlake, just a crazy year...

PS there were a lot of 3.90 and 3.73 diffs, so watch what you are buying, the gears usually have a stamp indicating ratio too...

Edited by Fargos-Go-Far

Is there any suppliers that could supply just the crown and pinion that I should call if I can't find a set already out of a donor vehicle.

Have you ever been to this guys place he has a lot of dodge stuff , I ran into him at Yorkton sask at a swap meet I got a new never used Fulton exterior sunvisor and kingpin set he isn't on the web .post-6514-0-13358700-1398027769_thumb.jpg

Bought three Dodge/Fargos from a guy one day and that is where my next project came from it's not PilotHouse web site friendly so I started a build thread on HAMB http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=841188 , I need a rear taillight assembly if you see one .

My beast as of today, it is 55 Fargo and Dodge, some 52 and 56 Fargo parts too. I have a lot to do yet, but she is a "nice beater" truck to knock around with, will finess the body much better when I retire... 251 engine, 4spd trans, 3.23 diff, 12 volt set-up....

post-107-0-63521100-1398050274_thumb.jpg

My daily driver engine 218 ci is showing signs of leaking a lot might have to do an R&R or thinking of maybe rebuilding an engine out of my 1ton I think it's a 228ci by the engine Serial number , I also have 236 out of a 3ton but I don't think it will fit ,if I read correct somewhere?? I will have to do more research or I just rebuild the original I will have to drive it after my rear axle ratio swap and decide if I want more power ??

My daily driver engine 218 ci is showing signs of leaking a lot might have to do an R&R or thinking of maybe rebuilding an engine out of my 1ton I think it's a 228ci by the engine Serial number , I also have 236 out of a 3ton but I don't think it will fit ,if I read correct somewhere?? I will have to do more research or I just rebuild the original I will have to drive it after my rear axle ratio swap and decide if I want more power ??

Daily Driver? I would likle to use this truck for the daily running around, minus going to work, they are a lot of fun to drive. Manitoba, really is a slow paced place, which is great for driving vintage vehicles. I have owned 218 engines as well as 228 engines, luv all mopar flat 6s...

post-107-0-86129300-1398052437_thumb.jpg

Edited by Fargos-Go-Far

This was what my barn find 12years ago seized brakes and engine valves ,repaired the brakes and unseized the engine valves replaced the water pump and had it running and moving and stopping .this year it got new unbolt shackles king pins and new brakes all the way around ,found a sunvisor removed a leaf from the front and two from the rear and put radial tires on it that helped the ride a lot . The rest is original it was repainted in 1972 ish ?? Got the truck from its original owner . He actually hunted me down to buy it for about a year , I was building a new house and family but he agreed to a payment plan and I thank him on a regular basis ,best decision he made me make .

post-6514-0-80735100-1398054402_thumb.jpg

post-6514-0-68746000-1398054447_thumb.jpg

This is what it now looks like with a fresh wax and polish .original interior seat floor mat ,someone did remove the fender rivets and there is some bubbling in that area ,weather stripping around the door is showing its age so I might replace it . haven't seen any rust but paint is a good 20' done in the 70's it's showing a lot of deep sanding grooves and small dent repairs that have little 1/4" bubble spots , but I don't plan on painting it for fear of what I might not like under the paint , so I will just enjoy driving it .

post-6514-0-54003300-1398055165_thumb.jpg