1949 dodge kingsway custom restoration

Kateosca

Hi everyone!

I happened upon this site and forums while researching the 1949 model dodge.

We have inherited a 1949 dodge kingsway custom and are starting the process of restoring as close as possible to original.

Gladly everything is there, it needs a lot of cleaning up though.

Any advice or words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated as well as any information on service providers who can help with seals, interior (which needs to be completely redone), chroming etc. in and around Melbourne Australia.

Also, funny little question about blinkers, aka turning signals, I cannot work out if these were original on the car or if they needed to be added aftermarket. Again, and info would be greatly appreciated.

Hopefully I will be able to add some photos as the restoration progresses.

:)

Kate(?)..........welcome aboard, these guys are a wealth of information........couple of suggestions.......post some pics, also check your cars serial numbers......there should be a small metal plate riveted to the front door hinge pillar, either drivers or passengers side, also there should be a plate on the engine side of the firewall, it will have the Chrysler series number which from my books should start with D32.....and finally the engine number which is on the Oz passenger side of the engine block above where the generator lives on the Oz passenger side should also start with D32...... As far as getting parts etc here in Oz you could try Jim Robinson in Melbourne, he goes under the name of "Dodge Parts"....also are you in a club?.......even tho I am a hotrodder and have been for 45 yrs I am also a member of the Chrysler Restorers Club of Australia and I think there is a Victorian branch.....also get Restored Cars magazine, worth getting for lists etc of advertisers, also there are quite a few guys in the States that are worth contacting for parts, just remember that you need to work out EXACTLY WHAT your car is, ie, what is the comparable US or Canadian version and always use it as a reference point, ie don't use the Oz terms or Oz name of the car as it may not have been known as that in the USA, in fact most Oz mopars are Canadian sourced so you need to take that into account when ordering parts.......for example....what length is your engine?......23" or 25" in length as measured along the cylinder head?....this will tell whether its US or Canadian based....lol...........anyway have attached a pic of my 1940 Dodge......again welcome aboard, there are quite a few aussies here........regards, Andy Douglas

post-612-0-68224100-1396782560_thumb.jpg

Hi Andy!

Thanks a million for your response, and thanks for the image.

I have just tried posting some pics but it's not working for me! Shall try again later.

From what I have researched, it's a Canadian built dodge. I'll check numbers tomorrow too.

Ah, I had found a club is SA but none here as yet. Thanks for the contacts too :)

Until next time,

Kate

Kate, welcome. I am in Pakenham, and have a 1952 D40 Dodge Kingsway. As Andy said Jim Robinson (Dodgeparts.com.au) is a good source. I am in The Chrysler Restorers Vic. Contact details : 

Meet 8pm 3rd Friday of the month, Feb to Dec

8/41-49 Norcal Rd, Nunawading, Vic
PO Box 3143, Nunawading Vic 3131

We also have a Facebook page. https://www.facebook.com/groups/chryslerclubvic/

You can get a Club Permit Rego through us.

Here is a photo of my car.

post-3504-0-20368000-1396945826_thumb.jpg