1940 dodge pickup wiring

mygrandpasdodge

I am just getting started in my mission to get my grandfathers 1940 dodge pickup running again. The wiring is shot and I am looking for any advice on where and how to start my rewiring project. I removed the starter and generator and am having them rebuilt. Most of the wires are all cracked and bare in some spots. Should I replace with new or the old cloth style? is it possible to find a complete wiring harness? or diagram?

Thanks

If you are restoring it, replace it with the cloth style.  Most of that has the newer  style insulation under the cloth covering.  Rhode island Wire may have a complete harness.  A service manual should have a diagram in it if you want to build your own harness.  Be aware that 6 volt systems use heavier gauge wire than the more modern 12 v systems.

you might want to contact Rhode Island wiring.  They already have several wire harnesses that they have remade over the years. I have used them and they are a qulaity shop and also have a number on each wire and a document that tells where is wire needs to connect to.

Or you could make your own wire harness and copy the wires that are already on the truck.  The old style cloth covered wire really is new wire that has the plastic coating and the cloth cover is pulled over the wire.  The old original wire was just cloth covered with no inner protection so the newer stuff is much better.

Rich Hartung

Desoto1939@aol.com

Your first sentence reads that you want to get the truck RUNNING.  You should search this forum and the DPETCA web site (in references above) and you'll find a very nice schematic showing the gauge of wire and the approximate length needed for each circuit on the truck.  IF you want a period correct RESTORATION, then I agree that Rhode Island Wiring is the way to go, but be prepared to pay for the accuracy (they even use the correct terminal lugs and connectors, not just the wire).

Another option.....YnZ's in So Cal. Here's a link....page 2 has 1940 Dodge trucks:

http://www.ynzyesterdaysparts.com/pdfs/Dodge.pdf

Their website:

http://www.ynzyesterdaysparts.com/

Edited by deathbound

My '52 Plymouth came with a new in box YNZ wiring harness.  Very nice quality, directions were good...not perfect, but good.  It was my first rewire, and it was not all that hard.

I've never used anything from RI Wiring, but I've heard lots of good things about them.

They'll both suit you well.  They may send you a copy of the directions if you ask, that way you'll be able to see which one you think is better.

Good luck.

Chris

Thanks so much for all the info. from everyone, I ordered a 6 volt harness from Ron Francis, should be here in a week or so. Looks like I have a lot to learn but I am getting stoked to do this.

my plan is to get the truck running then figure out where to start from there.

thanks  again,