1941 CHRYSLER ROYAL BUSINESS COUPE! OPPURTUNITY OF A LIFETIME??

Lakermatt

Hi Guys, I have a chance at a 2 door business coupe in my area. really cool looking car. from what I describe, it is a 3 window (actually 4) including the windshield.. LOL. complete car, including motor and transmission. any body know about these cars? are they rare? I hate to say that word, but I DEFINATELY have not seen one around in my area, or at any shows. I am going to go look at it tomorrow. I don't want to even say what he wants for it... just might add it to my Mopar collection.

I don't have any numbers, but I believe that they are rare. The 46 to 48 dodge 3 window coupes are not common, but do show up now and then. I have see n only 1 prewar Chrysler Royal coupe. That one was a beautifully restored example at an auction in Raliegh, NC a couple of years ago. I was not there when it went on the block, but I found out later that it did not sell. Those Chrysler coupes made use of an early form of marbelled plastic on the steering wheel and dash. I doubt that it held up well over the years, and unless someone is reproducing it, it must be "unobtainium".

Good luck with the coupe and keep us posted.

A quick check showed less than 7K were built VS the sedan at 51K made. Original cost $945 so if you can get it for that! ;)

Auction for nice one in 2012 estimated 30-40K sale price, not sold. 2013 auction for same one? sold 33K.

I'm sure they are at least some what rare now!

Good luck,

Doug

I am hoping to go check it out tomorrow. If it checks out, i think im going to pick it up. I will take plenty of pictures and post em for your guys opinion. It really caught my eye as that trunk lid area is enourmous!!! I am afraid if this car is "rare", i will have a hard time finding misc. Items for it. We will see... not a whole lot of information on this car on the ol web... sit tight for what happens, and some pics!!!

This one was for sale about a year ago....I think it was a '41.....correct me if I'm wrong.

1lpz.jpg

Parts can't be that hard to find for a 1941 Chrysler 3 passenger coupe.

I'd start by buying this rare and pretty  mottled vomit steering wheel for the car...... :lol:

Bob

post-302-0-21508000-1396415419_thumb.jpg

As they 41-48 Dodge, De Soto and Chrysler  3 window and 5 window coupes were never sold here in Oz and even tho there are some that have been imported I have not had the chance to see any in person I was wondering if the doors are the same and can interchange as the rear edge of the door looks remarkedly similar in shape/profile except that the rear roof pillar is obviously different........I would have always thought that the doors would have been different BUT after seeing so many of the 3windows via the web I'm curious..............lol.........thanks, andyd 

Parts can't be that hard to find for a 1941 Chrysler 3 passenger coupe.

I'd start by buying this rare and pretty  mottled vomit steering wheel for the car...... :lol:

Bob

I at first thought the decimal point was in the wrong place. Then I noticed the seller.

As they 41-48 Dodge, De Soto and Chrysler  3 window and 5 window coupes were never sold here in Oz and even tho there are some that have been imported I have not had the chance to see any in person I was wondering if the doors are the same and can interchange as the rear edge of the door looks remarkedly similar in shape/profile except that the rear roof pillar is obviously different........I would have always thought that the doors would have been different BUT after seeing so many of the 3windows via the web I'm curious..............lol.........thanks, andyd 

If I am reading the sheet metal parts reference correctly (available at http://www.pwchryslerclub.org/resources.html), Dodge, Desoto, and Chrysler club coupe and 3-window coupe doors interchange (between divisions too), but the part numbers are different for 41, 42, and 46-48.

for sure on the door bulge...and to me not the better styling cue.....I was thinking only in terms of the rockers and other lower metals only as that is all I have had to ever do to these old Mopars is rockers, truck corners, forward torque box, rear forward quarters on 2 door cars  and floor pan repair....other than an occasion patch on trunk panel and then it mostly the inside that rots out due to dirt and trash caught between the seal and the panel..

either way the Chrysler and Desoto bz cps are not near as common as the Dodge it seems when one is out and about the shows etc...IF however like the Plymouth and some Dodge...the coupe bz cp trim is as the 2 door sedan...and most all the other grille and bumpers and brite trim interchangeable..

The 1941 Chrysler is the best looking car of the fat fender era MoPars, thus biz'cupe would be a cool score.

Some 4 yrs back I spotted one in L.A. area Craigslist. It was kind of pricey considering the condition, thenagain, the prices of these will probably not drop as time goes by...

HOWEVER, this thread was started April 1st... makes old unkka suspicious...

• Like 1

Hi Guys, I have a chance at a 2 door business coupe in my area. really cool looking car. from what I describe, it is a 3 window (actually 4) including the windshield.. LOL. complete car, including motor and transmission. any body know about these cars? are they rare? I hate to say that word, but I DEFINATELY have not seen one around in my area, or at any shows. I am going to go look at it tomorrow. I don't want to even say what he wants for it... just might add it to my Mopar collection.

Any updates.......did you get it??? Pics???

Pass on it and go find a good car needing less work. Complete Rust free cars are really good to find!

I have to agree with some of the other statements.  If you have the time, Tools, room, help and experience to restore the car  and MONEY to buy the parts then go for the gusto.  But if you have to go out an puchase all of the items to get the car back on the road then pass on it.

You can find cars that have been restored and the owner wants to get rid of the car and get them at a good price.  Just look at the olders cars on Barret JAckson completely all done and they are show cars and can be driven away and the ownere takes a bath on what they get offered for the car.

Just my two cents.

Rich HArtung

• 2 years later...