P15 Lower control arm bumper

61farnham
Go to solution Solved by _shel_ny,

Hi all,

Can anyone tell me the height and diameter of the cone shaped lower control arm bumper on a 1948 Plymouth please.Mine are missing and I want to try to source some suitable replacements in England.

Regards to all ...............Simon.

Simon; one of our "Gurus" here ought to have the actual measurements. I don"t have a bumper off the car, but can measure and give you "close" measurements on width and height on one I still have installed.  Cass, alias littlemo...  ADD: Best I can tell, the "on-car" measurements appear to be approx 2in in height and 2in Dia at the base ??? ( did not use calipers so these measurements will be close at best; ) Sorry, hope someone else can give you the exact measurements !!  

Edited by littlemo

It sounds like you want parts sourced from the UK, but just in case: Bernbaum's (www.oldmoparts.com) has replacements; I just installed my new ones after I knocked them off their bases doing my brake job. The replacement rubber is an exact match; the base is just a threaded post, though - it does not have the square base. They worked fine.

Thanks all for your input, I can find similar bumpers here in the UK but not as tall so it looks like I'll just have to pay for the shipping.

Isn't this the part being listed by Roberts Motor Parts - Part No. P226 - $14.50 each?

Yes that's the one. I see your in the UK. Your car's looking good, at Goodwood Revival I'm guessing, I live about 3/4 hours drive from there and go most years, was your avatar pic taken last year?

Thanks again.

Regards.......... Simon

Edited by 61farnham

Hi Simon,

Yes the picture was taken at Goodwood but it was about 6 or 7 years ago.  Went down last year, we tend to go every other year and alternate with Stars & stripes at Tatton hall (Manchester) or ROG.

I'm just doing the shock absorber bushes on mine and got them from SuperFlex (www.superflex.co.uk).  Have a look at their web site and product No. SF468-9.9103 it looks like it might do the job - click on the data sheet and there is a part number 9.9101G measuring just under 2" Diameter and just over 2" tall.  That may not be as big as the originals but, theoretically, they should rarely be used!

email me on gsmcd@yahoo.com if you need help, sympathy or perhaps a limited amount of knowledge on these cars.

Regards

Garry

Hi Simon,

Yes the picture was taken at Goodwood but it was about 6 or 7 years ago.  Went down last year, we tend to go every other year and alternate with Stars & stripes at Tatton hall (Manchester) or ROG.

I'm just doing the shock absorber bushes on mine and got them from SuperFlex (www.superflex.co.uk).  Have a look at their web site and product No. SF468-9.9103 it looks like it might do the job - click on the data sheet and there is a part number 9.9101G measuring just under 2" Diameter and just over 2" tall.  That may not be as big as the originals but, theoretically, they should rarely be used!

email me on gsmcd@yahoo.com if you need help, sympathy or perhaps a limited amount of knowledge on these cars.

Regards

Garry

Thanks for link Garry, I used them the for rear suspension bushes on my Zodiac, the smaller cone shaped bushes are for a classic mini. I've been advised not to use polyurethane bushes for bumpstops on a road car because they're too firm. I've ordered some from Roberts Motor Parts now as they had the control arm grease seals listed that I needed too.

regards ................. Simon.

Edited by 61farnham