Tranmission options for 1950 Dodge 230 flat head

bue50coronet

I know this topic is discussed frequently, but I really don't seem to be finding the information I am looking for.
I am wondering what "simple" options there are for transmission swaps for my 50 Dodge Coronet 230 flat head.

I know there is the S-10 T5 option, and so far I am leaning in that direction.

What I would like to find out is if there are other transmissions that will work as as an easy swap. I'm not too concerned about power loss if there is a viable automatic that is essentially bolt in- Cant be worse the the gyro-matic!

I am keeping the internal motor stock, but thinking about a dual carb and split exhaust. I want to leave it 6volt as well.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

• Like 1

The t5 adapters are a bit expensive. Have you looked at Robert's swap?  http://p15-d24.com/topic/17737-5-speed-not-t5/  This has to be the easiest and least costly 5-speed swap you can do.

As far as an automatic trans goes, none of the swaps will be easy since you will loose your existing bellhousing and everything attached to it like the rear mounts.

Doable? YES, Is this a 'driveway' swap? No.

Keep in mind that you will loose your e-brake so you then need to consider a Cherokee or Exploder axle.

Ask lots of questions...they are cheaper and easier than a swap mired in special parts.

Interesting.

Yes, that was something else I was looking into - and rear-end swap.

I inherited the car from my dad, and I don't know alot about it....yet. So please excuse me for being ignorant on the subject.

I have been poking around the forums and found several things I can do to improve the engine, brakes and trans and such though.

Bear with me as I am learning as I go. I did but a shop maual for it.

Some of the other things I wanted to do was change out the front brakes to disc, and it sounds like the rear brakes won't be an issue because I would be changing to a modern rear axle with a 5 speed swap(which I was thinking about as well).

Questions:

-What year(s) are best to use- for both the transmissions and rear ends?

-Would I need to change out the master cyclinder for the brakes if i go to disc? I probably ought to anyway, but is is necessary?

-And also,, does anyone know how these beasts dive if doing the engine upgrades and keeping the gyro-matic? I would like to have a dependable driver that is good on gas and cruises comfortably on the hiway,

I really appreciate your help!

• 3 months later...

On level ground with a 97 HP Plymouth engine, the 60mph 2000RPM is not going to happen. A newer Mustang with a 5 or 6 speed will give you what you are looking for. Using a 3.7 rear end with a OD transmisiion will be about as good as you can do with an original engine.

My 82hp/5speed Ranger trans, 3.7 Ranger rearend combo, does 55mph at about 1800 rpm,

with no strain. Going up a small grade, still do not have to downshift to

4th gear. With the Ranger rear, I had to use wheel spacers. The 95 and up

Explorer rears have disc brakes, but nothing wrong with the 94 and older rears.

I have a 98 Jeep Cherokee XJ rear, 3.55 gear, drum brake, I would like to try next.

There are several people on here that adapted modern master cylinders, and still

used their same brake/clutch pedals. I used a Mustang II MC on my 48 Dodge, easy

install, worked great.....

• 1 year later...

Enough research was not spoon fed....I love working on cars, I even like to drive them once in awhile...but doggone it I am in heaven when elbow deep in research and fact gathering, followed by the hunt for the correct parts for my application....doing the looking is my favorite part of this hobby.

And by the way....it's gotten too easy since the internet, I used to live or die on the Watts line down at the junk yard.

• Like 1

I have a 50 Meadowbrook and I bolted on an r7 overdrive and that transformed the car, I can now cruise at 75 mph and the engine turns under 3000 rpm. No mods, just bolted on, added the control cable and a longer speedo cable.