Alternator upside down?

DonaldSmith

Usually, an alternator has the fixed mounting at the bottom, and the belt adjustment at the top.  I want to relocate my alternator to make room for another belt-driven accessory, and things might work better to have the fixed mounting at the top and the belt adjustment at the bottom. 

The wire connections are on the back, so I won't have wires on the bottom.  I'm just wondering if there is a heat-sensitive electronic gizmo in the alternator that would be happier in the bottom half of the alternator. 

The only thing that I can think of is now the rotation will the rotation be backwars and would that affect the alternator to work properly. I am not an electrical knowlegebal expert so just raising the question.

Rich Hartung

Don,

You can remove the screws and seperate the front and rear halves and clock the connector to the top.  I did this to my 10SI alternator which came with instructions in the box.

I can't remember where I put the paper.    There is a hole on the back side that you put a paper clip in to hold the brushes back for reassembly.

Jim M

JimM:  Thanks for the tip.  I suspected the two halves could be clocked.  But maybe there's no problem having the connector at the bottom.  

Don Coatney:  If you  stand upside down, the battery would look OK.  Sometimes at work a set of drawings would be printed completely upside down, with the staples at the right side instead of the left.  I would simply put the set on a table, and go around to the other side of the table to look at it. 

• Like 3