master cylinder

You deserve them. What you have done is shown us all "another way" to get the most from one of these trucks without messing about with it too much. Very...very clever too. To me at least these sorts of mods are totally sensible if you wish to really use your truck without completely altering it's true character. Kudos.

Jeff

• Like 1

On 6/29/2017 at 7:44 AM, 1940 Dodge VC said:

I don't know if anyone is following this thread anymore--want to give a brief update on the Toyota m/c and how my brake project turned out:

I installed disc brakes on the front and back of the truck (thanks, Rusty Hope!), and used the  Toyota master cylinder along with the appropriate pressure and metering valves. The m/c fit like it was made for the truck. No need for power brakes, this setup has plenty of power for stopping, with little effort on my part. So if you are looking for an m/c upgrade, I would strongly recommend the toyota version. 

The overdrive was well worth the effort, too. The cab is much quieter, my rpms are much lower, and I get the added benefit of easy upshifting/downshifting with the press of a button.

Toyots m-c installed.jpg

This is awesome! I will likely follow this on my 47 build. 

• Like 3

• 3 months later...

Hi All;

This thread is just what I have been looking for;

I'm trying to finish the restoration of my 52 B3B and get the old boy on the road.  I have replaced the parts in the front drum brakes, shoes, springs, cylinders etc.  The rear axle is a Dana 35 out of a 96 Jeep Cherokee with drum brakes.  If all works out well and I like driving the o'l truck, I will probably convert to disk brakes on the front. My 48 Plymouth has drum brakes all around, no modifications and they work great.  

For now It looks like I should order a Toyota Celica MC and two 10# residual valves.  Should I also add a proportioning valve in the rear circuit?  The pistons in the cylinders in the Jeep axle seem quite a bit smaller than the Dodge front cylinders and the old Master cylinder. I would think that it will help to have a MC with a smaller bore (1") like the Toyota MC.   I am confident that I can make the old truck go,  but I want to be sure that I can also make it stop!  

• 6 months later...

I know this is an older post but it this post is very helpful to me as I am about to undertake a brake upgrade on my truck.  I really like this set up and plan to include it when I do my front disk conversion.  

One question, what is the attachment on the rear brake circuit right after the loop leaving the master cylinder that looks to have prongs for a plug of sorts?

27 minutes ago, Jerry Roberts said:

That looks like the switch for the brake lights . 

Man I feel dumb, lol.  Guess I got wrapped up in the technicals of the installation.