Dwell reading?

you can search the internet for various comments and such on the subject..only thing of question that I have seen sourced to the Chinese by Pertronix on the net says is the coil that they offer..the igniter is supposedly USA made..

I do not care for them as it is not something you can go into any parts house and walk out with a replacement igniter should you have a failure..and at the cost of the unit and time to order you can be down a few days..what if you are out of state when this happens?  this is not my sole reason for never using their device ...Chrysler units are so easy to put in, as fool proof and dependable as anything on the market and respectfully priced....available about anywhere parts are sold and ready to hand in most wrecking yards unless they got crushing fever

Edited by Plymouthy Adams

Sorry I don't have a source. 

I work for a company that does high end resto's on mid to late 50's Mopars and the owner and I have come to the conclusion as Tim says to use the Chrysler electronic ignition system for reliability and easy parts availability if you should need anything.

In my job for the last 2-4 years all the cheap import brake and electronics parts for our Mopar cars is only good for the trash can.  I've had to ash can three import NOS Raybestos wheel cylinders last month alone because the leaked and had very sloppy .010" piston clearance.

I wish we could go back 30 years!

OK....out of curiosity are you talking about the conversion that uses the late slant 6 distributor? or is there something else out there that I have missed altogether?

Among the many things I have thought about while reviving this old truck is my desire to get it as reliable as possible..... and keep a set of essential spares. I have always thought this would just be a standard distributor......but If there is something better then I want to know more.

I think having a spare distributor all set up and ready to go is something fairly wise considering this is going to be my daily driver. Whatever I end up doing to the one in the truck I will do to the spare.....if that makes sense. I also plan on carrying a spare carb, fuel pump, water pump and starter along with misc. sundries including extra nuts and bolts, a full gasket set and a good tool kit.

Jeff

Don;

:lol: Very funny......but I have an extreme aversion to getting towed in. :eek: Comes from 25 years of boating and at least a dozen boats I towed back into the harbor.....with very embarrassed occupants. Especially the ones that ran out of gas. I always made certain that any one listening to channel 16 knew what these clowns had done.

Jeff

• Confused 1

It seems that the dual point mounting plate that Don has is fairly easily obtained. A quick search turned up the plate and the correct points. Total cost will be around $75. I imagine the quality of the point sets may be better than some of the replacements available for the stock application. I have one new set for the original set up that looks as if it was made on a rock in Cambodia. :eek: This conversion looks fairly straightforward and uses the points for an early hemi.

Anybody out there had a negative experience making this mod to a 6 volt system?

My cheap old multi-scale dwell meter should probably be replaced with something a bit more accurate Does not seem to pick up small changes in the point gap too well. Not sure I trust the readings I am getting......and the conversion scale is hard to read. I am sure with a little hunting around I can find a much nicer meter than this.

Jeff

• Like 1