new guy/remote oil filter

Pushrod Scott

hi all name is scott, I am new here, I am on hamb, performance years Pontiac forum and several othes, was into bikes for many years, now into cars, trying to learn all I can!!!   I have a question and was refererred here. I have a 1950 Plymouth special deluxe with the original l head 6 engine. it runs great. I am looking to install a remote oil filter on it and do away with the element system. the line going to the element can are very small and the remote filter has much larger lines. I am concerned about cause an oil starving situation with the larger lines. I have seen it on some other l heads but it is a concern, I don't want to damage the engine, it has a lot of miles left!!!

Thanks for any help

scott

The system is a bypass design. the lines are adequate for flow through the stock filter. Unless you change or delete the bypass system the size of the lines feeding what ever filter setup you choose will make no difference. The system diverts approximately 30% of total flow through the filter when the engine is running. The bypass also protects your engine should the filter clog or fail and refuse to allow flow. If the filter fails, the engine will still get all its oil. If you screw up the system, a clogged or blocked filter will starve the engine. Take a look at the situation from 1950 to now. Oil is better, most roads are paved, air is cleaner, lead is out of fuel. If the bypass system was sufficient in the 50's under current conditions with modern oils and filter elements, is should work better than designed. If you want to remote mount a spin on filter adapter for aesthetic reasons or ease of filter change go ahead, but if you you think you are improving on the original set up, unless you address the internal bypass set up you will be gaining very little actual difference in filtering efficiency.

Edited by greg g

my desire was to get rid of the element system not for visual appearance but for more modern availability of the screw on filters plus the ease of changing the filter. The oil can when changing the oil, done proper, must be removed to get all the old oil out, much more work than screwing a filter on and off. I don't want to change how it works, just don't want to cause a starving situation. so if I understand correctly, I can eliminate the can and element for a screw on filter, it will not hurt in any way shape or form because only 30% will flow through the filter?? Is this correct???  This topic has created more questions! if the filter does not filter all the oil that means oil must be changed more frequently to keep clean oil in??? I am all about clean oil and changing it. many of my daily drivers have 250 to 400 thousand miles on them, I attribute that to regular oil changing!

thanks

scott

Nobody said all the oil is not filtered. All of the oil is filtered at the rate of approximately 30 % per circulation cycle. And the particulate rate of filtration is greater than a spin on canister. Check out the Amsol website. They recommend a by-pass filter in addition to the full flow filter. Easy to remove the oil left in the canister by using a turkey baster to suck most of it out and a rag to sop-up what is left. I have never removed the canister to remove the last bit of oil.

When these cars were new many left the factory with no oil filter. The by-pass filters are usually a dealer installed option. And many car owners would do several oil changes between filter changes. And as has been mentioned the oil quality and driving conditions back in the day were less than desirable.

Where in Indiana are you located?

thanks for all the info, I am trying to find out to maintain this car for many years pleasure. I have changed the oil pretty regular and the car has made many trips, some for a couple hundred miles running pretty hard. I am consistently learning more and new tricks to keep her healthy. this car has been the most dependable of all of my cars and has never failed to get me where I wanted to go. I hope to keep it that way!!! I am about 35 miles east of Indianapolis.

thanks for all the help

scott

Scott......You will not improve the filtering by putting on a "spin-on filter". The system is "Bypass". The oil is bypassed from the oil gallery to the filter then returned to the sump. Don't confuse this with a full flow system where all the oil goes thru the filter then on to the bearings. The old bypass does a good job of filtering and I have found it not a hassle to change. I change oil once a year regardless of mileage. My car is a daily driver in the summer. 

I am in the process of relocating from near Nashville, Tennessee to Fort Wayne. I plan on driving my P-15 up there within the next month. Should be no problem as I have driven my car up there 3-4 times within the past few years.

PS, Here is a photo of the HAMB cookie lady Denise taken in front of my car with Greg G, and me in Detroit a few years back.

detroitdenese.jpg

Scott, welcome to the best mopar forum........when I got my "restored" 1941 Pymouth it still didn't have an oil filter, being a hot rodder I installed a Beehive filter.........worked fine and as it was shiney made the car seem to go faster.........lol.........welcome aboard.......andyd    

post-612-0-84678900-1395173692_thumb.jpg

i was just going to do the same thing but i found a place that sells my filter for a decent price. although not as cheap as a spin on. they also told me the same thing about not all the oil going through it because the way the block is desighned. so im leaving mine with the setup its got and i will change the filter every once a year till i cant get them cheap enough

But....I don't find the stock filter hard to change....!! Take the top off, lift it out, put in the new one. ?? Lumpy loves the TLC.

ken.

• Like 1