fuel sending unit 1948 plymouth coupe

atwoziph

Question? Is a fuel sending unit from a 1946-58 cj2a, cj3a,cj3b jeep compatible with a 1948 Plymouth coupe? I found online a omix-ada fuel sending unit that looks the same with 2 pole connectors.........wouldn't during that time frame the manufactures use one part for a range of vehicles?  the part is only 25.95 verses 90.00 to 120.00 at other websites...thoughts?

post the link...I am thinking not...the Jeep is a 10-73 ohm rating and single pole sender...SO IF GIVEN your Plymouth is a true two wire sender that split proportionally the 30 ohms of the sender coil with each leg to common ground..NO

now if you have a  single wire early 49 you may get away with this

Edited by Plymouthy Adams

Question? Is a fuel sending unit from a 1946-58 cj2a, cj3a,cj3b jeep compatible with a 1948 Plymouth coupe? I found online a omix-ada fuel sending unit that looks the same with 2 pole connectors.........wouldn't during that time frame the manufactures use one part for a range of vehicles?  the part is only 25.95 verses 90.00 to 120.00 at other websites...thoughts?

You can get a repro off e-bay for $99.00 that fits and works perfectly and it's stainless steel with the newer type float that won't have a problem with the new fuels. I bought one and it seems to do the job. Going from my own experience everytime I think I can cut corners and save a buck I usually add to the parts collection on my shelf in the shop, which is quite extensive I might add.  :eek:  ;)

• Like 1

The unit looks similar to the P15 item.  It goes on 40s and 50s model Jeeps.  Probably for 6V.  Might work if

what Tim said is there regarding ohms, etc.  

If all else is similar, including length of the arm, but the holes don't align.....

perhaps holes in the unit could be re-drilled by making a paper template of where they should go.  

17724_01.jpg&w=300&h=300

I found this sender on eBay from mopar-direct in Belmont, Mass for $115 "buy it now".

Says for 6V, 40-48 Plymouth and other Mopars.

Is this the same one that was $99??

Now........if they would make an original looking new gas tank......all would be good.

The son in law did mention one time there was someone in Kansas City that was good

at re-doing a tank that was close to what we need by relocating the neck and (presumably)

the sending unit hole if needed.  Don't know any further details.  I've seen a Ford tank

that holds 17 gallons and looks to be about the same size/shape as our old Mopars.  

In a catalog of tanks available at O'Reilly Auto.

$_57.JPG

$_57.JPG

Edited by BobT-47P15

I found this sender on eBay from mopar-direct in Belmont, Mass for $115 "buy it now".

Says for 6V, 40-48 Plymouth and other Mopars.

Is this the same one that was $99??

Now........if they would make an original looking new gas tank......all would be good.

The son in law did mention one time there was someone in Kansas City that was good

at re-doing a tank that was close to what we need by relocating the neck and (presumably)

the sending unit hole if needed.  Don't know any further details.  I've seen a Ford tank

that holds 17 gallons and looks to be about the same size/shape as our old Mopars.  

In a catalog of tanks available at O'Reilly Auto.

$_57.JPG

$_57.JPG

This is not the one I purchased. I looked last night but he did not have an ad. But he does advertise from time to time and the purchase price is $99.00 and free shipping. It looks much closer to original than the unit you show, plus it has the newer style float rather than cork. :D

This is not the one I purchased. I looked last night but he did not have an ad. But he does advertise from time to time and the purchase price is $99.00 and free shipping. It looks much closer to original than the unit you show, plus it has the newer

style float rather than cork. :D

Just found his ad below:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/45-46-47-48-DODGE-CHRYSLER-PLYMOUTH-GAS-SENDING-UNIT-/330502353401?pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4cf379b1f9&vxp=mtr

Edited by OldDad67

• 1 year later...

Looks like I'm in the same boat.  Ordered  the 1 wire universal unit from TankRUs for $35, but I need a 2 wire unit. Does anyone else have a cheaper alternative?

Is the above alternative the best way out.  Another $100 bucks!

Edited by 46Ply

As an aside..........I believe the 1940s Dodges DO use the one wire sender you just bought.     I did a trade a few years ago

with a 1946-48 Dodge owner as each of us had purchased the wrong sender for our cars.  Any Dodge owners who need a new

sender?????? 

What about This from tanks inc:

2 terminal.....cut float to length......$35.

Pete

I got the 73-10 ohm from them when I got a new tank, seemingly works great (bottom listing)

http://www.tanksinc.com/index.cfm/page/ptype=product/product_id=276/mode=prod/prd276.htm

I got the 73-10 ohm from them when I got a new tank, seemingly works great (bottom listing)

http://www.tanksinc.com/index.cfm/page/ptype=product/product_id=276/mode=prod/prd276.htm

I think that's exactly the same one I ordered.  That's what is so confusing.  Some say this is correct, others say I need a two wire unit.

Looks like Plymouth had two types?  The one I have is the ORG and it has a 1 wire connection.  I need the 2 wire.

What about This from tanks inc:

2 terminal.....cut float to length......$35.

Pete

I can't find this on the site.  Can you post the link.  (And confirm that it has 2 terminals).

Edited by 46Ply

I can't find this on the site.  Can you post the link.  (And confirm that it has 2 terminals).

Sorry I am not sure how to post a link but, If you go on their site and click VIEW PRODUCTS.....then....MOPAR FUEL TANKS.....then....1941-48 DODGE AND PLYMOUTH STEEL FUEL TANK you will then see as well as the tank an "optional sender unit" click on it and there are more details and at the bottom it shows the "ORG - Early Ford & Mopar - 73-10 Ohms"

Hope this helps.

Pete ;)

Edited by Seaside Pete

Sorry I am not sure how to post a link but, If you go on their site and click VIEW PRODUCTS.....then....MOPAR FUEL TANKS.....then....1941-48 DODGE AND PLYMOUTH STEEL FUEL TANK you will then see as well as the tank an "optional sender unit" click on it and there are more details and at the bottom it shows the "ORG - Early Ford & Mopar - 73-10 Ohms"

Hope this helps.

Pete ;)

Thanks Pete,  That led me to the one I bought!  (ORG).  And it has 1 terminal only.  Their site doesn't tell which one it is.  Might be good info for anyone else that goes down this road however.  The price is right at $35. but not if it doesn't do the job.

I think that's exactly the same one I ordered.  That's what is so confusing.  Some say this is correct, others say I need a two wire unit.

Looks like Plymouth had two types?  The one I have is the ORG and it has a 1 wire connection.  I need the 2 wire.

the one I got matching this description was a 2 wirethe picture at the top is one of the 5 or so that they carry, but not the mopar one