1954 dodge royal 500 convertible Pacecar restoraton part 1

dodge59

well today.......... got a call from the seat upholstry shop .. Front seat is Done .

Beautiful job well done . Love this companies workmanship.. 2 man shop ...

Yeah,I can see why you are happy with them. Who wouldn't be?

Hey Young Ed,

Looks like a '49 or '50 in the back of that row.  Where is this place as I need a '49-'50 windshield center bar and a core convertible top pump.  I think the vertical style pumps may have been used up to 1953.

James

That is french lake auto parts and dang it I was just there yesterday! That convert in the back is a 51-52. Give them a call I'm sure they'd pull and ship.

worked the radiator support today.. got it painted... black

also the generator

also rebuilt the frozen heat riser  earlier this week.  shaft was frozen ..

that is all good to go now..

john

post-5817-0-96115100-1400971856_thumb.jpg

post-5817-0-97448900-1400971895_thumb.jpg

post-5817-0-45025300-1400972255_thumb.jpg

Edited by dodge59

John,

Great project.  I just spent 3 years restoring my '49 convert.  I doubt I can be of any specific help on your model...but don't hesitate to ask. I can be reached directly at JDD@8bells.com.

I did go to some lengths to copy the original blue-gay paint that they used on the underside of the hood, trunk, and inner fenders on my '49.  If your car was originally painted with the MOPAR blue-gray in the inner and bottom, let me know and I can send you a paint formula.

I have a NOS inner fender for my '47 and we used that to scan and tweak the paint codes to get a color.

Good luck, James

yes james .............I'll have to take you up on the blue gray paint formula.  mind does have it under the trunklid.

dodge59@wi.rr.com

john

Just catching up to this thread, but your work looks great and that car is fantastic. Indeed it's nice here in Wisconsin now -- I got a good taste of winter by moving here right after Christmas.

Time to get my old car up here and start working on it, once I land a job.

Keep up the good work. Maybe I'll get a chance to see your pace car at a cruise-in, show or swap meet someday!

You bet !

worked on the hood this week .. It's in primer . read to be blocked out .

post-5817-0-56628500-1401499389_thumb.jpg

Edited by dodge59

look what I scored this week.. 1954 dodge  indy pacecar only............  nos headlight  door .

anyone know of another one just like this one ,  please contact me .. .  need one more .

mine were missing.

dodge59@wi.rr.com

john 

post-5817-0-91256800-1401499807_thumb.jpg

post-5817-0-21501200-1401499823_thumb.jpg

post-5817-0-39693000-1401499850_thumb.jpg

Edited by dodge59

Question for you mopar guys

do the grills differ in the 54 dodges with  the raised lip on the hood leading in the fenders by the headlight.. canadian model  " meadowbrook" .

I am having a problem with a grill from a long front end. 54 dodge 4 door  .... lining up under the raised lip on the shorter front end  (raised lip on edge of hood.)..  the upper bars have to be longer on the horizontal  section under the headlight is my guess.

the green  and red dodges do not have a raised lip . they have a longer front also.

This difference in the grill is driving me crazy.

what do you guys think about the difference in grills  ?

Thanks !

john

post-5817-0-22603200-1401500745_thumb.jpg

post-5817-0-42074400-1401500989_thumb.jpg

post-5817-0-48489100-1401501160_thumb.jpg

post-5817-0-53836500-1401501655_thumb.jpg

Edited by dodge59

say guys .

does anyone have a parts listing manual they could look  the meadowbrook grills vs the US models up ?

I think the upper grill bars are different  to accomodate the different shape of meadowbrook hoods with the raised lips.

the flat length  section of molding under parklight is longer I believe.

Thanks !

got the 500 Emblems removed from indy car today..

The clips that held the numbers on, pryed off pretty easy.. I thought for sure I would have snapped the studs off .....But NO........ it's all good. no damage to the studs . the numbers were maid out off solid aluminum.

repaired a hole in the rocker with a repair patch panel .. so that is all done also.

this project is coming along real nice!

I took a sample of the original color in for a eye match .. so I now have a gallon of indy pace car yellow. PPG deltron bccc .

post-5817-0-80038600-1401936061_thumb.jpg

Edited by dodge59

There is some mention on the All par site that in 54 the coronet went down stream with the introduction of the Royal.  Meaning that it shared the body of the Meadowbrook , but got the up market trim applied to make it the Coronet.  A Coronet convertible was available.  Of the Royal convertible 701 were fitted with the Pace Car Package.  Your sheet metal difference might be the difference between the Coronet level and the Royal level.  The Canadian Mayfair looks like it got the royal front sheetmetal on the Plymouth body.

this one a coronet has the plainer hood treatment.

when you visit those pages you should find a few more vids showing 54 coronets and royals. 

worked on the bodywork this week...........

passengerside is primed and ready to be blocked out . body work is done there.

post-5817-0-47255700-1402103683_thumb.jpg

Welcome to the wacky world of 53-54 Dodges. Regarding your question about different grille top bars for different model 54 Dodges, yes, there were different part numbers for D50 & 51 vs D52 & 53. According to the parts book, however, the distinction is not exactly Meadowbrook vs Coronet & Royal, as D50-1's were Meadowbrooks, D50-2 were Coronets, D50-3 Royals, D51-1 Meadowbrooks, D51-2 Coronets, D52 Coronets, D53-2 Sierras & D53-3 Royals. I suspect the real differentiator was long vs short wheelbase. I believe all D52 & 53's were short wheelbase. If you haven't bought a parts book yet, I highly recommend it.

yeah ...... as I was thinking all along .   that upper grilll bar is diiferent by 1 5/8" in length  where it turns sharpely upward..

I got one coming.

Thanks go out to collectors !

also searching for a  nice  Rt. rear  fender stone shield  (dogleg ) P/N 1542498 ....  d52/d53 model series

these are differnt also from sedan models too..

mopar just had to change everything alittle bit so it wouldn't fit other models.

let me know

dodge59@wi.rr.com

john

Edited by dodge59

today removed door glass and upper side belt moldings ....repaired a few little dings in upper half .... primed and ready for blocking out .

one more side to go ,, front fenders  and trunk lid .

looking Good !

john

post-5817-0-87318300-1402519801_thumb.jpg

im sure finding parts  for this car may  be  super hard maybe the hadest mopar  find of all,,,good luck to you,,  

You sure got that right !

convertible, wagon and 2 dr hardtop very scarce !  have not seen many at all and the unique parts for them.

john

sand blasted the trunk seal gutter  area and tulip panel where the rear window attaches to.

those areas ........ready for primer.

rest of the moldings and emblems removed.

post-5817-0-21031500-1402931315_thumb.jpg

you like those hey   niel ?   I had brushed up against those corner braces too offen so....... I wrapped an old pair of socks on the corners.. works good !

ha ha .

haven't gotten around to take all those braces off for the continental kit yet.. they looked like a @@@ to get off .

• 2 weeks later...

update >

removed the rear splash pans from the continetal kit , left quarter is in primer  ready for blocking out and firewall  is ready for paint.

all that is left to do is drv door sand down  and trunk lid. whole car need to blocked a few times then.

she will be painted sometime  late august .

john

post-5817-0-53729100-1403822250_thumb.jpg

post-5817-0-55628900-1403822261_thumb.jpg

Edited by dodge59