1954 dodge royal 500 convertible Pacecar restoraton part 1

dodge59

Hello Dodge 59. I tried posting some photo's tonight but couldn't figure out how to do so. The 54 convertible I bought abut a month ago was a parts car for someone in the 60's. The hemi engine and transmission were removed as well as the top and some of the trim. I have a 241 engine and trans. from another 54 that is being rebuilt by Archer Racing. I just finished rebuilding the front suspension. I need to figure out how to get the body off so I can finish cleaning and paint the rest of the frame and under carriage. Where did you get the rubber seals for doors and trunk from? I also bought a 54 Royal 4DR last week and just got it running and on the road this evening. I will restore it after the convertible is done.

Hello Dodge59,

I just updated some photo's on our facebook page at dodge royal. I took a brake from the convertible the last two weeks so I could get the 4DR running for a cruise Friday night with the north central mopar club. We drove it down a tractor pull for it's first time on the road since 1985. Engine was looing power if we ran over 50 mph or put a load on it so need to check fuel pump and filter today. Also need to get a temp gauge and gas gauge working. Other than that it drove great.

Hello Dodge 59. I tried posting some photo's tonight but couldn't figure out how to do so. The 54 convertible I bought abut a month ago was a parts car for someone in the 60's. The hemi engine and transmission were removed as well as the top and some of the trim. I have a 241 engine and trans. from another 54 that is being rebuilt by Archer Racing. I just finished rebuilding the front suspension. I need to figure out how to get the body off so I can finish cleaning and paint the rest of the frame and under carriage. Where did you get the rubber seals for doors and trunk from? I also bought a 54 Royal 4DR last week and just got it running and on the road this evening. I will restore it after the convertible is done.

[/quote

mopar.......... andy berbaum has door seals .....

i'm still looking for some header seals still . almost a year of searching.

looking great,,,  just seen a hood on  e bay for this year model  car,,,,was a dealers display hood,had  plexi glass  windows in the hood to show off the hemi,,,,kinda  rare  i guess,,,

ok fstfish ... yeah ......I seen that hood out there on the internet too.

update :

moving right along here .

interior top of door and rear side trims are painted now .

dash is painted two/tone

radiator is in innner fender well electrics are hooked up (relay, selenoid and starter .

all rear taillights and trim/moldings are installed. and new seal for trunk.

valance is installed

just installed the hood ornaments tonight.

post-5817-0-05524800-1408412758_thumb.jpg

post-5817-0-59728500-1408413053_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I am really stumped on the hood to radiator rubber seal , on which way it installs .

I have a new seal that is suppose to fit most mid 50's mopars but appears to be alittle different than my two 54 dodge royals. now sure if rubber flap is suppose to be on the topside or bottom side and if the rubber fits in the channel or just lays on the top and screwed down. any help would sure be appreciated.

what do you guys think ?

Thanks !

john

post-5817-0-61209700-1408488664_thumb.jpg

post-5817-0-69769500-1408488718_thumb.jpg

post-5817-0-46270200-1408488745_thumb.jpg

The seal you have looks different than the seals on all three of my royals. They are much flatter and are installed with big staples.

I am really stumped on the hood to radiator rubber seal , on which way it installs .

I have a new seal that is suppose to fit most mid 50's mopars but appears to be alittle different than my two 54 dodge royals. now sure if rubber flap is suppose to be on the topside or bottom side and if the rubber fits in the channel or just lays on the top and screwed down. any help would sure be appreciated.

what do you guys think ?

Thanks !

john

The seal you have looks different than the seals on all three of my royals. They are much flatter and are installed with big staples.

I agree with you mopar ... the tow seal on my royals are flatter also. mine have the staples used also .

I bought this seal from steele rubber and they say it will fit all mopars of this era .. but I agree this new seal looks much thicker and more bends. but I could modify it to look like the original.

that's just what is available out there now days. "One Size fits All".

and another thing is ............. "What is with the staple thing" ? .. how in the world are you suppose to use the staples over again .. they also have this stupid idea to hold the window cat whiskers on . they must shoot these staples in with a high powered gun of some kind. That's crazy .

john

Edited by dodge59

Atlas Obsolete Motor Parts sells the seal that looks like the seals I have on my 54's The PN is 706-776 $40.70. Their phone number is 951-461-9005. I have no idea how they put the staples in but they may be installed in some way similar to spot welding.

hoood  trim  rechromed ??  or were they  that nice to start with,

All the chrome and stainless on the indy car was very nice Rated #8 .. the pot metal on my 4 door was perfect , so I traded .

Atlas Obsolete Motor Parts sells the seal that looks like the seals I have on my 54's The PN is 706-776 $40.70. Their phone number is 951-461-9005. I have no idea how they put the staples in but they may be installed in some way similar to spot welding.

mopar

Problem solved. !

I called steele rubber today and found out that the rubber seal they sent me is not for my application . go figure.......... but they did have the correct Identical one for my 54 dodge . I'll have it friday .

Edited by dodge59

you know the old saying .......

" everything comes apart real fast and easy ... but putting it back together takes alot longer "

well it took 3 hours to install the continnental rear bumper pans and spare tire carrier. everything aligns up beautiful now.

previous owner used the splash pans for step ladders.

now ... ready for the rear bumper .

post-5817-0-69622700-1408743089_thumb.jpg

post-5817-0-20752700-1408743096_thumb.jpg

post-5817-0-05503800-1408743103_thumb.jpg

Edited by dodge59
  • Like 1

Thats good work and even though you say its slow going you were making amazing progress faster than a lot of us could ever maintain. I like the uniform gas filler/back up light.

Thats good work and even though you say its slow going you were making amazing progress faster than a lot of us could ever maintain. I like the uniform gas filler/back up light.

Thanks for the compliment Young Ed.. I'm just plugging along.. everything is going smoothly still. beside I'm not getting any younger I'll be 61 years old in a couple months. Man....... That's OLD ! Edited by dodge59

Thanks for the compliment Young Ed.. I'm just plugging along.. everything is going smoothly still. beside I'm not getting any younger I'll be 61 years old in a couple months. Man....... That's OLD !

ha I dont feel nearly as young as when the guys on here gave me this name! Hope to see your car in person someday

I'll be firing up the old girl next week. I think I'm going to get the top put on before I install all the interior. this way it's all out of the way for the top shop to do there thing.

so all I have to do is install the rear bumper

all the headlight/ parklight trims , grill and front bumper and then I can take her out for a spin around the block.

I'll install the door glass and I get it back from the top shop , and door panels when I finish them this winter .

I'm getting anxious now. can't wait.

john

ha I dont feel nearly as young as when the guys on here gave me this name! Hope to see your car in person someday

hope to have the 500 done for 2015 "back to the fifties" and wisconsin Iola. feature car is pacecars next year.

so I'll be in your area .

hope to have the 500 done for 2015 "back to the fifties" and wisconsin Iola. feature car is pacecars next year.

so I'll be in your area .

awesome let me know. We're trying to plan a forum meetup around the 50s.

• Like 1