1954 dodge royal 500 convertible Pacecar restoraton part 1

dodge59

finding rear end ratio from older post found on search finding rear end ratio 1954.htmon this forum.

Maybe you could get under the car and clean u the third member and look for the stamped ratio numbers.

... is there any way to check by spinning the wheel one revolution and counting the drive shaft turns  like a posi rear end OR  would I have to pull the carrier and look at the numbers stamped  ring and pinion    ? 

Doesn't happen to have the numbers stamped on the flat plate on the underside of the diff centre?

I found that the two 3.54 ratio car (1955) diff centers which I obtained recently to install in two of my trucks were stamped as a fraction (3.9 over 11).

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Doesn't happen to have the numbers stamped on the flat plate on the underside of the diff centre?

I found that the two 3.54 ratio car (1955) diff centers which I obtained recently to install in two of my trucks were stamped as a fraction (3.9 over 11).

I haven't gotten under the dodge yet to see if it is stamped anywhere of the center section..

btw  how you break  that fraction down . ..  3.9 over 11 ?

I haven't gotten under the dodge yet to see if it is stamped anywhere of the center section..

btw  how you break  that fraction down . ..  3.9 over 11 ?

If it were 39 over 11 then it would make sense to me as 11 teeth on the pinion and 39 on the ring which, divided, would give 3.5454545454... or a 3.55 rear end ratio which is about what Desotodav said they were.

It is my understanding that they make the pinion and ring gears such that the two numbers are not evenly divisible to equalize wear over all the teeth.

• 2 weeks later...

couple pics of my 1954 dodges !

btw : I checked the rear gear ratios on both my 54 dodges and both are the same 3.54 gear ratio.

post-5817-0-04854500-1435075328_thumb.jpg

post-5817-0-77671800-1435075347_thumb.jpg

Edited by dodge59
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Update on my pace car :

first road trip ... 135 mile to IOLA wi. on way .

The old girl ran beautiful all the way there and back   and got 21 miles to the gallon  at 60 mph . not bad at all with the baby hemi  red ram . It really rolls down the highway excellent .the  faster  I went,  the better if felt   ........ and very  nice and  comfortable !

The IOLA car show was great ! I had a reserved spot under the tent for the featured cars for this year . here are a couple pics.

All  I can say is what people told  me  all day was  I quote  " That is one  BEAUTIFUL CAR  you have there" .

Guess the " fruits of  my labor "  have paid  off. Appreciated the comments all day.   Thanks ! Thanks ! Thanks !

IOLA  car show  was A BLAST !

post-5817-0-60667200-1436754111_thumb.jpg

post-5817-0-82881100-1436754212_thumb.jpg

post-5817-0-70742300-1436754450_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

...milwaukee  news paper "The  journal / sentinal " " captured this photo of me  waiting in line to enter a car  show in menomminee falls ... what a surprise !!!

post-5817-0-88544700-1438353151_thumb.jpg

Edited by dodge59

You're really getting around with this car. Where is your next planned show? Maybe I can get out and sneak a peek.

Merle

I'll be here............... August 14th. mopar 's under the lights. Brookfield .

post-5817-0-96690000-1438560228_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

say guys ,   does anyone have a parts listing catalog for the 1954 mopar models ?  if  so,   could you look up the part number for the fuel tank sender and let me know what it is?  appreciate it !  I bought these  aftermarket senders for both my 54 dodges over the years  and neither one reads actuately .    they don't have the correct  OEM ohm's readings of 90-10 ,  aftermarket ones are 78-10 and the float arms are longer . 1953 and 1954 made a change again in those two years.

time to look for an oem sender.

Thanks guys !

I finally got a chance to meet John and see his car in person. WOW!! It's a Beauty. Nicely done. Unfortunately a nasty storm decided to roll through during the car show and cut it short.

I hope you made it home OK, John. You had to head right into the teeth of the storm. I skirted the storm front getting home. A lot of very strong wind with a little rain. 

C095DE51-71CF-4F13-A559-30FC859853E7_zps

FBA5EAB0-67D1-46C8-82B1-3C2EDD4FEDEF_zps

7BFA1538-BA20-46B0-98A2-2580B8C70A01_zps

8D21229A-8DE3-4199-BBCA-EACFE7B4E4F5_zps

Edited by Merle Coggins
  • Like 1

Pleasure meeting you also Merle. 

too bad about the storm that came thru ,  I was watching  that  storm out of the corner of my eye all night..It was  just brewing away..

well the old dodge got her first bath in that storm . winds were probally 50 mph  ... shakin  the dodge for sure.  but I made it home without any issues . only about 5 miles away.

I tucked  her in the garage and came back up to the show and walked  away with a  trophy plaque.  see pic .They handed  the trophys out around 9pm.

wish I could have talked to you awhile longer merle  .. 

I appreciate all the pics you took of  my pace car . Thanks merle .. I don't have a lot of pics of it finished !

post-5817-0-78343800-1439609259_thumb.jpg

Edited by dodge59
  • Like 2

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

march 2016 .. Gee .. that was a long winter.

But spring has sprung and it time to get out in the garage again.

First thing on the agenda is to find out what is wrong with my speedometer . the needle will not move when moving . question is for you guys out there , I want to check and see if the cable is spinning in its casing. with a drill... do I spin the cable forward or in reverse rotation at point of the powerflite trans conncection?

I have to get up under the dash still to lubricate that oil wick that screws into the back of the speedo housing . I'll do that first of course.

Thanks for opinions !

Edited by dodge59