1954 dodge royal 500 convertible Pacecar restoraton part 1

dodge59

thanks falconvan

opps !!!   forgot the pics on last post . check them out.

john

Edited by dodge59

update.

both quarters,  cowl , rear body  panel  and rt. door  are done ... primed and blocked out twice.

she's coming right along .

trunk is next .. anyone know of the paint code formula for the underside of trunk panel?

appears the wheels were painted that color also  see pic ..   It's that common  blue- gray primer in color  used for many years  .

or maybe something equivelent  that will work .

john

post-5817-0-00297200-1404058698_thumb.jpg

Edited by dodge59

more progress  >

drv door ready for primer

trunk lid underside sanded down  and   now in primer >>>  ready for blue /gray paint .

inner doors  and jams  are prepped an  in primer .

Just two fenders left  to work on  body .  yeahhhhhhhhhhhh !

john

post-5817-0-38704900-1404343421_thumb.jpg

post-5817-0-86634600-1404343447_thumb.jpg

post-5817-0-68977100-1404343454_thumb.jpg

you sure move fast,, looking good

I've been doing bodywork for 40 years .. it's a piece of cake ! I have a passion for it.

progress

stripped trunk lid down to original paint  ,primed and blocked

drv door primed and blocked.

post-5817-0-44077700-1404484254_thumb.jpg

post-5817-0-54836600-1404484279_thumb.jpg

post-5817-0-10895600-1404484296_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I've been doing bodywork for 40 years .. it's a piece of cake ! I have a passion for it.

So I can drop my plymouth off for the winter?

• Like 1

So I can drop my plymouth off for the winter?

Ed

I told myself " this is the last car I will restore" .. I'm no spring chicked anymore.. I just can't move around  like I did before.

When do you expect to have it done? I'm looking forward to seeing it out and about around here.

Merle

merle

next summer  the pacecar should be all done and cruising.

all the paint work will be done this summer  and  then a  slow process of putting it all back together.

i'll do all the door panels this winter. and  of course ...the top will be last . bob and andy  at  "hour Glass"  will put the top on. they did an excellent job on the seats already. 

ooops  i think  u  just  opened a can  of worms,,people will be dropping off there  projects,,,,im sure some will need body work,,lol,,,,glad  u  love what you do,,,to  still do  it as  your hobby,,

more progress  >

drv door ready for primer

trunk lid underside sanded down  and   now in primer >>>  ready for blue /gray paint .

inner doors  and jams  are prepped an  in primer .

Just two fenders left  to work on  body .  yeahhhhhhhhhhhh !

john

ooooooooooooooooooooooops !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

almost screwed up ..........

opened up the can of paint I bought for   the underside of trunk lid and looked at the paint  and said to myself .," this sure looks like waterbase paint  latex  paint ".... sure enough.....  there was a communications problem with what I wanted..  I returned it ..

I'm going  to my local auto paint store and look thru there paint chip books for a color  that looks close .

ooops  i think  u  just  opened a can  of worms,,people will be dropping off there  projects,,,,im sure some will need body work,,lol,,,,glad  u  love what you do,,,to  still do  it as  your hobby,,

fstfish

yeah I think so......... but  no side jobs in the future.. I'll be all done with restorations  when I finish my  54 dodge pacecar .

sorry !

john

fstfish

yeah I think so......... but  no side jobs in the future.. I'll be all done with restorations  when I finish my  54 dodge pacecar .

sorry !

john

till some one waves a large some of  cash  in your face,,lol,,,,

till some one waves a large some of  cash  in your face,,lol,,,,

no that won't work either ..  Never did side jobs and will not start now. sorry.

just have too many health problems at 60 years old. no spring chicken anymore .

john

"60 years old...no spring chicken" . . . Can't remember 60. Started grad school in English Lit at 64 then got hooked on old Mopars at 70. But one can't always control the health issue. Zucor has weakened my legs which I think are slowly coming back. I wish you well, been following your thread, very nice work, will be a fun car to motor around in.

boy........... I am so happy !!!!   .........

all the body work is finished .. just have to clean up the front and rear bumper  splash pans.

today.......just finished the pass fender .. stripped . repaired a few dings  and primed.

I should be shooting the color soon.

john

post-5817-0-12013200-1404876324_thumb.jpg

post-5817-0-36042800-1404876345_thumb.jpg

Finally the day  has come..............

All the bodywork is done !!!

everything has been primed and blocked out several times.  she's straight as an arrow .

just have the bumper splash pans to clean up yet.

john

• Like 1

I'm down to the last 3 parts to straighten and prime . rear bumper splash shields dings are repaired and are now ready for primer. and I knocked all the dings out of the front bumper splash shield . ready to bondo .

inside trunk seal gutter and hinges is finish painted blue /green ad also the backside of trunk lid is finish painted.

now comes the fun part ....... Painting .

post-5817-0-81290700-1405373828_thumb.jpg

post-5817-0-87313700-1405373857_thumb.jpg

Edited by dodge59

progress report ..................

continnental kit / rear bumpers shields in primer

worked on the front bumper valance .. man...... were there the dents on this ... all paint stripped off , straightened and in primer also.

post-5817-0-89676600-1405457665_thumb.jpg

post-5817-0-90700500-1405457694_thumb.jpg

post-5817-0-81226400-1405457706_thumb.jpg

Edited by dodge59

hope to have the 54 dodge pacecar ready this time for Iola Wi. 2015 car show . The feature car is Indy Pacecars.

I have a lot of work to do still. But ..........I am ahead of schedule. everything is going smoothly. No Hurry ... just plugging along ....alittle bit at a time.

john

Ahead of schedule? Good.  You'll need a time cushion for when the fit hits the shan, as it likely will. 

I added power steering to my DeSoto well in advance of this weekend's NDC Convention, but then I checked out the step-up piston and possible ethanol corrosion of the bore, and screwed things up in the process. I had to do a quick carb rebuild earlier this week.  But now I'm good to go.