1954 dodge royal 500 convertible Pacecar restoraton part 1

dodge59

Hey guys ......

working on another problem I have with the dodge ...........  The " back up light switch " in the 54  powerflite trans  is faulty  ! here is a pic of the one in need.

anyone know of any sources that sells this item ?  going to try to win this one one ebay.

there are two bidders on it already..

Thanks ! 

post-5817-0-92625300-1457570451_thumb.jpg

mopar ..........

my powerflite is a little different for some reason ..

both  the neutral and back up light switch  are separate switches . 

on my powerflite  the neutral switch is on the drv side and the backup light switch is on the pass side.

The pic is the switch that is used for either  or. 

the one I need has  a 1/4" pipe fitting on one end. It screws in bu the  reverse servo on the pass side of trans .

post-5817-0-65502300-1457575387_thumb.jpg

OK ... I won this item on ebay ... This is Identical  to the one in my  powerflite trans...  Should work fine.

but........................ I do wonder why MY 54 powerflite is  a little different . maybe because it is a pacecar and  mopar  intalled a little stronger trans in  it.  It is even different than   the shop manual pics .

also ..........it''s not a 55 powerflite because it still has shift linkage not cable like 55 had .

just don't know .. maybe somone will chime in..

post-5817-0-88693800-1457576896_thumb.jpg

That is odd. On my transmissions the neutral safety is on the left side with the back-up switch on the left rear. This switch looks like the brake light switch on my cars.

• Like 1

mopar  mike .... yes that is what the switch looks like . I have a 54 dodge royal 4 door also and that trans has the switches as you described  , both on the drv side.  take a look at your trans on the convertible and see where your backup light switch is when you get  under there again mike..

mopar sure did some wierd things back in the day.

Edited by dodge59

The back up switch on the convertible is the same as the 4 dr. It's on the left rear of transmission. The switch you have coming looks light an oil pressure activated switch. Maybe I'll give you a call this evening. My rear piece carpet just came in.

• Like 1

Got a partial case number off the powerflite ..............1408 .. could not see the remaining other numbers with things in the way.

I posted my   question about my powerflite on "the forwardlook.net"  and got  some good answers..... here they are.

dodge59 - 2016-03-12 6:20 PM

Got a partial case number off the powerflite ..............1408 .. could not see the remaining other numbers with things in the way.

According to the 1954 parts book, case part number 1408 308 was used on the following -

1953 Chrysler (C-58) Custom Imperial and (C-59) Crown Imperial (Powerflite assembly 1486 117)

1954 Chrysler (C63-1) New Yorker, (C63-2) New Yorker Deluxe, (C64) Custom Imperial and (C66) Crown Imperial
1954 DeSoto (S19) Firedome.

1954 Chrysler Imperials continued to use assembly 1486 117 while the DeSoto Firedome and Chrysler New Yorkers used 1539 789.

The other case part number for 1954 was 1530 796 and was used on 1954 Plymouths (P25), 1954 Dodges (all 6 & V8), DeSoto (S-20) Powermaster and Chrysler (C62) Windsor Deluxe.

All 1955 Chrysler Corporation cars used a Powerflite with case number 1619 333.

So, it looks you have a 1953-54 Powerflite for DeSoto and Chrysler V8 models.

One more  respond  about  my powerflite at the forwardlook site  ...........

Comment  >>>>>>>>>I've run across several examples where the casting dates and part numbers don't agree. I believe (and I'm just spitballing here) that this is due to parts room replacement transmissions being built at a later date to replenish supplies of earlier transmissions. IOW, the transmission plant used a 1955 casting date case to build a replacement '53-'54 transmission.

Thanks ALL !
-----

UPDATE ON THE BACK UP LIGHT  SWITCH .............

well ............that is another thing checked off the to do  list ..  

That is what was wrong >>> faulty switch on the trans.

All good to go now.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

update :  august 9  2016 .

my 1954 dodge royal 500 indy pace car  is running great !   The hemi  is running stronger every time  I take it out..Huge improvement with the updated  High compression 10.1 venoila pistons .

I met at the  show ,  MY CLASSIC CAR host   "Dennis Gage " . He loved my car  and said he never seen a car like mine before . come to think of it  ................I've watched quite a few of his  shows  and I never  seen a 1954 convertible dodge either. let alone a pace car like mine .

• Like 3

What show were you at where Dennis Gage was there? Did he do shoot some footage for an upcoming show?

Merle

Hi Merle 

I was at the huge elkhorn car show  near east troy.  saturday. where I  met dennis . He was out riding around with one other guy and it looked like a tripod camera of some some sort in the back of his golf cart . no footage was shot . his camera man I did  not see around . dennis drove away by him self in the golf cart afterwards.

Edited by dodge59

That's pretty cool. I met Dennis once myself. I was at the Gold Wing Road Riders Association "Wing Ding" rally in Madison several year back and he was there with a camera crew shooting footage for a motorcycle show. I don't even remember the name of the show anymore.He wasn't on the show but he must have been part of the production. He asked the group I was with to get some footage of us riding down the road. We road up and down the road between Madison and Oregon to get the footage he wanted. It was an interesting experience. I did see the episode that we were in. It aired a month or so later.

Merle

didnt  know you have  10 to  1  pistons must make a giant  difference over the 7 to  1 stockers,,,when  is your car going to be on  my  classic car ?

yeah,,,,   there is a bunch off posts about installing my 10.1 high compression pistons in the 241 hemi. The pistons made a huge difference.

don't know if I was being video taped when dennis gage was talking to  me. I did  not see his cameraman anywhere.but then again I was looking and talking to dennis.