Brake job & parts for P15

47heaven

Where's the best place to get brake parts for a complete brake job? My brakes need to be rebuilt for safety purposes. Are brake rebuild kits sold for these cars? Also, like to have the master cylinder rebuilt or replaced with a new one or already rebuilt one.

What's am I looking at here in parts and what's involved? What kind of place would I take the car to have the brake job done? If I knew how to do brakes, I'd do them myself, but I would feel better leaving it to the experts. Any good brake people here in Southern California?

Guest jtw3749c

IF your looking for the parts, you can get some of them from NAPA, Autozone, Advance Auto. These are some that I have gotten them from as well as local parts houses. The nice thing about the Mopars, is that a lot of the stuff is still in the parts stores. Also Andy Burnbaum http://www.oldmoparts.com/

Here is an example of Advance Auto http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductList.aspx?PartType=232&PTSet=A&SearchFor=Wheel%20Cylinder

Give these a try. You will find that the wheel cylinders will cover several years, including the trucks. Just a thought, You might want to consider rebuild kits. Master Cylinders are priced from $220.00 to $350.00 range, maybe more. Kits are much, much cheaper!!

JT

First and foremost GET A MANUAL!!!

Find a local shop that rebuilds brake shoes- agood place to start is calling the local school bus shop- they will know where such a shops in your area.

Take all the shoes and one if not all the drums to them- they can fit a new set of of linings on the shoes-if needed. A lot of so called brake problems end up being bad adjustment.

But before you do that test the system

Does th car run or roll without sticking brake after brakes are pushed in hard? if so wheel cyls are not stuck. press pedal hard - does it stop them go down slow? if so a wheel cyl or master is leaking if stays at one level and brakes are stopping car you probably just need shoes re lined.

Remove the drums and look for any wet spot BEFORE you touch anything.

you can then determine which wheel cyl is leaking and rebuild it.

if you do not have one get a spring remover and a brake cylinder boring tool

attachés to drill and very simple to use.

Also get some crocus paper of 400 grit sandpaper.

Then go to work.

I have only had one wheel cyl need replacing in about 20 cars I have worked on. All the rest wee either rebuilt of not touched.

All can be re bored/resurfaced with the drill boring tool. on the

car- just clean and bore or rub with 400 grit paper.

I have never had springs that are bad some might but I have never found one bad tension wise- broken yes but not tension wise.

then begin your rebuild. Your only problem will be setting the shoes

to the drum when re assembled- you need the tool - make one or borrow one. There are several out there- I have one I might loan out and I am sure there are others that have it.

I have assumed you r interested in doing your own work I could be wrong in that.

If you cannot do the work check around and find someone near u that does work on older cars. I never use a shop unless I really know the person.

Just my view.

Oh yes all rebuild parts can be obtained at napa car quest etc.

Wheel cyl rebuild about 7 per cyl-$50 total.

Shoes re lined-$80 for the all. And no shipping!

Good luck and keep us posted

Lou

First and foremost GET A MANUAL!!!

Find a local shop that rebuilds brake shoes- agood place to start is calling the local school bus shop- they will know where such a shops in your area.

Take all the shoes and one if not all the drums to them- they can fit a new set of of linings on the shoes-if needed. A lot of so called brake problems end up being bad adjustment.

But before you do that test the system

Does th car run or roll without sticking brake after brakes are pushed in hard? if so wheel cyls are not stuck. press pedal hard - does it stop them go down slow? if so a wheel cyl or master is leaking if stays at one level and brakes are stopping car you probably just need shoes re lined.

Remove the drums and look for any wet spot BEFORE you touch anything.

you can then determine which wheel cyl is leaking and rebuild it.

if you do not have one get a spring remover and a brake cylinder boring tool

attachés to drill and very simple to use.

Also get some crocus paper of 400 grit sandpaper.

Then go to work.

I have only had one wheel cyl need replacing in about 20 cars I have worked on. All the rest wee either rebuilt of not touched.

All can be re bored/resurfaced with the drill boring tool. on the

car- just clean and bore or rub with 400 grit paper.

I have never had springs that are bad some might but I have never found one bad tension wise- broken yes but not tension wise.

then begin your rebuild. Your only problem will be setting the shoes

to the drum when re assembled- you need the tool - make one or borrow one. There are several out there- I have one I might loan out and I am sure there are others that have it.

I have assumed you r interested in doing your own work I could be wrong in that.

If you cannot do the work check around and find someone near u that does work on older cars. I never use a shop unless I really know the person.

Just my view.

Oh yes all rebuild parts can be obtained at napa car quest etc.

Wheel cyl rebuild about 7 per cyl-$50 total.

Shoes re lined-$80 for the all. And no shipping!

Good luck and keep us posted

Lou

Thanks, Lou. That's a very good source to go by. Yes, I have the manual and I was reading it over yesterday, but I will leave the work in the hands of someone else that knows what they are doing....for safety reasons. ;) Basically....I don't trust myself.

I went to Napa, but didn't have a lot of luck finding parts through them or maybe the guy just didn't know how to look for them. The brakes stop, but what happens when I'm stopping is that as the car is slowing to a stop, I kind of get a "stop/go" feeling like the brakes are sticking and then letting loose or that the drums are warped...hard to tell. Just this last weekend, one of the springs broke in the passenger side brake assembly. It happened on a Sunday and stores like Auto Zone and Pep Boys, which are the only ones open on those days, didn't have the spring I needed. So the car kept pulling to the right very bad on the way home.

Darin

These guys do. This is local for me but they do mail order stuff too. I was just in there on sat-had to rebuild the entire rear brake system on my dakota. Lines cylinders parking cables etc...

Also found a new thing. PVF I think coated brake lines. Not sure on the initials but basically plastic coated. They can be cut and flared like reg steel lines but won't kink when you bend them. I figured I'd try them on the dakota. Time will tell but I doubt I'll be buying plain steel ones ever again.

http://www.brakeplace.com/

Guest Tavis Miller

I just bought a master cylinder from napa in aug/sept. they had it in stock and it ran about 170.00. i have leaky wheel cylinders on the steer axle. on the old message board i seen post about people switching to disc brake brakes saying they like it, so i think i'm going to do the same, when the wallet gets a few more dollars in it.