radio model 606

navyboy

The Mopar 606 was made by Philco, model cr3692a and the sams photofact # is 133-9 and all schematics that i found cost $$. :(  The tubes are 6BA6, 6BE6, 6BA6, 6AT6, 6AQ5, and 6X4. Looks like the 6X4 (rectifier) and the 6AQ6 (power output) are in the bottom speaker section along with the transformer, filter caps, and vibrator, the other four are in the top section. Should be a diagram inside the radio of where tubes go if any are missing.

Old style vibrators are some of the main culprits of the old car radios not working, you can purchase a solid state one online to replace. Filter capacitors usually are bad too if original, can induce a lot of nasty noise and potentially ruin a transformer or tubes. Other than that, just little things go wrong, rarely have I seen a faulty/worn tube in a car radio.

Edited by JDaniel64

thanks for the reply! I printed the information to read and study. would it be possible to take it to a local shop maybe a radio shop that could do such a repair/upgrades, I would be tickled to get this puppy going again, I have even heard of people getting mods where they could have a flash drive attached? I mean how many tunes are you going to get in AM now days. I figured if it doesnt get repaired it still cool to have in the car then for looks and better then the radio delete I have now. Very excited to have it now on the work bench have to say. it seems complete other than missing all but one tubes on the lower section, I may have to post some good pics and someone can guide me on whats what broken down for me even more. thanks!!!

I rejuvenated the vibrator on my radio a few years ago, per an on-line tip from some radio guys. 

Hook up 120 volts in series through a switch and a 60-watt light bulb to the posts of the vibrator.  Turn the switch on  momentarily.  Repeat.   The alternating current gets the points moving, and the high voltage burns off the crap. Two sessions of several buzzes did the trick.

I had the cord and switch from an old drill, which worked fine.  Of course, be careful, with 120 volts.    

Would be neat to have another old radio brought back to life, I fixed up my old 813 model and added a stereo jack to plug my phone/mp3 player into but i dunno about a usb. They are not bad players but a little on the quiet side. If you do start taking the radio apart be careful in the top section, there are certain screws you don't want to turn, they are tuning screws and could throw your radio's reception way off if messed with. Also, if you decide to power it up to see what ya got, the a.c. transformer puts out 235 vac, and if you still have the 6x4 rectifier installed and no other tubes (load), the output of the 6x4 can reach as high as 340 vdc! So be cautious! Are you handy with a soldering iron?

• 5 months later...

JDaniel64: Is it possible to use a 41-3170 vibrator from a 819 radio in a 802? (uses 38-5036, has the same specs, except the size), Which one is the solid state one?

Look inside the radio case for a sticker with a schematic and the name of the manufacturer.  My 602 was made by Colonial Radio Corp.  

I fixed my 602 about seven years ago.  I shocked the vibrator back to life (applied A.C. current) and replaced the capacitors.  The tubes were good. 

Some of the helpful sites were Radio Daze for supplies and Nostalgia Air for technical help and hand-holding.  Also Antique Radio Technical Forum.  See if they are still around.  

I got detailed Colonial schematics from Nostalgia Air.  Back in the day, someone named John Rider published a comprehensive book on radios of the era, up to about 1949, and Nostalgia air had the appropriate info available.      

Edited by DonaldSmith
  • Like 1

Thanks Donald!  I´m checking your hints.  My philco 802 radio has missing the vibrator.  I have a spare vibrator from a 819 radio, but I´ll check if I can use it.

The vibrator should work, the pinout (4-pins) is the same for all negative-ground chrysler applications. Dimensions and current rating are the only variables, you should be fine putting the 819 vibrator into the 802. If you want a solid state vibrator for the radio you will have to purchase it, none were standard for those radios (methinks '55 or '56 was the first year for a SS radio in a mopar). The old electro-mechanical vibrator induces more noise into the system and has a shorter lifespan than the solid state. Some can be found here if you are interested: http://www.tubesandmore.com/products/radio_antique_equipment_parts_0?filters=Type%3DVibrators 

Some other helpful links if you are tech savvy: http://www.nostalgiaair.org/Resources/     

http://frank.pocnet.net/

Hope this helps, have fun!

• 1 year later...

This thread was helpful to me so let me add what was done with my Motorola 606.

The radio was working but would cut in and out. Turns out it was that the antenna wasn't grounded well. I did want to add a jack to play music from the IPod or phone when not listening to the AM radio (sports and news) and have the capacitors changed out.

Audio Imports in Arcadia, CA was recommended to me by another Plymouth owner. John is the shop owner and he's been doing repairs on tube radios for over 40 years. All John needed was the schematic which JDaniel64 provided a link to download one. John found that my radio had already been "Re-Capped" so all that was needed was to have the jack wired in and a switch installed to cut the tuner from the amplifier. Total cost for that was $30.

Here's a video of my radio in the car. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0oo1f5NJkM

I'm also attaching a photo of John's shop that has the phone number on the front window sign.

Tony

post-5954-0-83254400-1464142749_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• 10 months later...
On Tuesday, May 24, 2016 at 7:20 PM, Tones52 said:

This thread was helpful to me so let me add what was done with my Motorola 606.

The radio was working but would cut in and out. Turns out it was that the antenna wasn't grounded well. I did want to add a jack to play music from the IPod or phone when not listening to the AM radio (sports and news) and have the capacitors changed out.

Audio Imports in Arcadia, CA was recommended to me by another Plymouth owner. John is the shop owner and he's been doing repairs on tube radios for over 40 years. All John needed was the schematic which JDaniel64 provided a link to download one. John found that my radio had already been "Re-Capped" so all that was needed was to have the jack wired in and a switch installed to cut the tuner from the amplifier. Total cost for that was $30.

Here's a video of my radio in the car. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0oo1f5NJkM

I'm also attaching a photo of John's shop that has the phone number on the front window sign.

Tony

post-5954-0-83254400-1464142749_thumb.jpg

Hey Tony what speaker are you using? Sounds great. I have a 52 cranbrook and just got my radio working. Replaced all the tubes and vibrator. Speaker is torn and very brittle. Thanks in advance. 

20170416_152256.3gp

• Like 1

Hi everyone,

It's almost time for me to get my radio restored for the 49 P15C, anyone know a place to send it? I remember someone saying the radio guy wasn't in business any more?

I think he also put a hidden input jack?

Thanks,

Vince

6 hours ago, Vin's 49 Plymouth said:

Hi everyone,

It's almost time for me to get my radio restored for the 49 P15C, anyone know a place to send it? I remember someone saying the radio guy wasn't in business any more?

I think he also put a hidden input jack?

Thanks,

Vince

I've been trying to call the guy from Audio imports all day but I keep getting a busy signal and cannot find him online. There is another guy in either Rancho or Fontana I cannot remember. Here is his number 

Screenshot_20170418-125655.png

As much as we’d like to have our radio worked on, I think it’s beyond help. The car is 6v, but was switched to negative ground sometime prior to our acquiring it. As a result, the reversed polarity literally burned it up. Since it was a total loss, I just took off the front face plate, made 7 new buttons (why it has 7, and what the extra one does, I don’t know), and reinstalled it.

It also had a clock-delete plate, so I made a clock face and the hands on the computer, some Plexiglas, turned the clock-delete plate around, and used it for the faux clock face. I had a small knob from ?????, and that finished it nicely. It looks original, and it has the correct time twice each day.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

52cranbrook4, my speaker was in pretty good shape. I'm not sure it's the stock speaker because my radio had been gone through before I took it to Audio Imports. Per John who added my auxiliary jack, the magnet size was important.

John who owns Audio Imports has been doing this type of repair on tube radios for 50+ years. He's very old school and is a great story teller. He's place is like a little cluttered antique shop of radios of all types. Generally he's at his shop Tuesday's through Fridays and goes home to the high desert Saturday through Monday.

It's a one man operation and not high tech. I'll try to swing by the shop during the week and see what's up. If he has a speaker source, I'll post that info as well.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tones52 said:

52cranbrook4, my speaker was in pretty good shape. I'm not sure it's the stock speaker because my radio had been gone through before I took it to Audio Imports. Per John who added my auxiliary jack, the magnet size was important.

John who owns Audio Imports has been doing this type of repair on tube radios for 50+ years. He's very old school and is a great story teller. He's place is like a little cluttered antique shop of radios of all types. Generally he's at his shop Tuesday's through Fridays and goes home to the high desert Saturday through Monday.

It's a one man operation and not high tech. I'll try to swing by the shop during the week and see what's up. If he has a speaker source, I'll post that info as well.

Tones52 thank you. I haven't focused on the radio like I thought I was going to. Instead I got the rest of my paperwork in order and insurance and started driving it... I'm going to try with the radio aging this week. Thank you again.