The Phoenix is awakening / B3B Rises from the Ashes

I think he's taking the DA to it as we speak, and taking ALL the paint off it, putting it in primer so you guys attending the BBQ can spend your day blocking it out and prepping it for fresh paint.

AMEN!!!

HEY! No one told me there is going to be a painting clinic this year and my contribution is my truck! :confused:

I'm gonna have to stop for some rattle cans...I can't bring them on the plane!

:)

Don, be thankful they're willing to drive you. All my family and friends insist it's close enough that I can walk.

Back on topic (sort of): had a friend in High School who had a Valiant known as the Bondo Bandit. He held a "bring what you have rattle can party." Lot's of fun while it's happening, but you also have to be very ok with massive runs...

• 4 weeks later...

I hauled the "Phoenix" home from 48dodger's yesterday. Now I'm obliged to have it running before my daughter arrives at the end of the month. So. . . new wiring, new glass, new front tires, new seats, new steering wheel, new fuel pump, tune up and then see what remains. She is very artistic, so I'll wet sand the entire truck then together we'll decide on the 'designer patina'. 

To be Continued

ThePhoenixbackhome001_zps7b57ecd6.jpg

You come along way back, some of us would have thrown in the towel, I'm sure that what ever you decide to do to the truck it will never have as much character as you do for sticking by her when the going got tough.

Oh and by the way sometimes patina has more value to people than a good paint job these days  Look what they are getting for bare metal and rust on a pilothouse  thats more than alot of nice trucks   http://www.ebay.com/itm/261465800780?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649   

". . . Truck is bare metal with a coat of WD-40 ( I leave this truck outside with no problems). . ."  I tried WD 40 on my tail gate some time back does hold but it is an oil and it penetrates the metal. If someone wants to paint later, that WD can work it's way back. . .  

To me it is not a patina truck, this one is not to my liking, and everything under neath is NOT mopar.

". . . Truck is bare metal with a coat of WD-40 ( I leave this truck outside with no problems). . ."  I tried WD 40 on my tail gate some time back does hold but it is an oil and it penetrates the metal. If someone wants to paint later, that WD can work it's way back. . .  

To me it is not a patina truck, this one is not to my liking, and everything under neath is NOT mopar.

great, now strip, prep and paint, it is time....

You could do this in nickels for 5 times this price and have nicketina as opposed to pennytina

The $383.00 Paint Job . . ..

1949 Cadillac, completely covered with 38,295 pennies! (USA 1 cents).  
They were affixed one by one using Silicone. They added over 200 pounds
to the vehicle's weight.  The entire project took 6 weeks. The pennies are
American, and include an 1817 "Big Cent", two Error Pennies, and four
1943 Steel pennies; (but who's counting?).  And, it won't scratch.

post-16-0-44482800-1399145386_thumb.jpg

For 200 lbs of copper scrap you could get a paintjob and not have to worry about tarnish!

Well, this is what I've got to work with. It's going to require all new wires.  Will go with 12 volt this time. 

A brief response to the exterior. I appreciate the encouragement to paint. Yet then what I will have is another pretty truck. I enjoyed the conversations I had with the other exterior so will not paint. Will have to see where it all leads.

ThePhoenixElectrical003_zps946d93c2.jpg

ThePhoenixElectrical001_zpscd2e0eb4.jpg

ThePhoenixElectrical004_zpsd810179e.jpg

that is one outer panel coating that will not nickel and dime  you to death...

guess I just have to ask...are they all heads up or tails up or a mixture and if mixed is there a pattern?

Don...if you were to do true blue in dimes you would have ten times the finish this guy got...

Edited by Plymouthy Adams

Well, this is what I've got to work with. It's going to require all new wires.  Will go with 12 volt this time. 

A brief response to the exterior. I appreciate the encouragement to paint. Yet then what I will have is another pretty truck. I enjoyed the conversations I had with the other exterior so will not paint. Will have to see where it all leads.

I can imagine some of the conversations they had after they left talking to you...

Edited by Plymouthy Adams
  • Like 1