The Phoenix is awakening / B3B Rises from the Ashes

1 hour ago, pflaming said:

Plymouthy told me a number of years ago to be very careful not change the engineer's decisions because they engineer per optimum results at the start. That might not be a fully accurate paraphrase of PA but it serves correct in this discussion. I went to the car manual to rediscover that the overdrive was matched with a 4:11 rear axle. The above comments show what happens when put with a 3:73 and with a truck body. 

So I'm not going to put the OD in even though it would be fine for the driver who understands the limitations. Since this truck will go to my daughter, the sensible thing to give her is the simplicity and dependability of the three speed with the 3:73 rear axle. Once again the value of this forum especially for the novice mechanic, which I remain.

Now I have an R10 Overdrive for sale. Interested, price is negotiable.

IMG_2369.JPG

Okay is your engine the OEM 217, or is it an upgraded fresh 230?

Your truck is it being used to haul it's max loads, pull trailers etc?

Today's road speeds are much higher and surfaces much better.

With an upgraded engine, with more power, and the fact it's not hauling heavy loads, 3.73 gears and OD might work fine in a lot of scenarios, it aint hard to shift back into 3rd non OD when needed, and cruise nice in OD when needed.

Either way it sounds okay...

Paul;

If you can cruise relatively comfortably at 65 or 70 then I think you are good to go. I have been using mine daily for the last 2 1/2 years and am very happy with it. As Mark points out it isn't going to drive like a Lexus but that is OK. If you need more sound proofing then by all means put more in. I doubt if anyone has put more into this aspect of one of these trucks than I. And I will tell you there is a lot of quiet to be gained but you have to look at more than just a off the shelf kit.

There are several areas in these cabs that can be treated to gain a quieter  ride. The area under the seat.....the back of the cab....the backside of the dash......the steering column. They may not seem like it but they all contribute to the sound level in the cab and they can all be quieted down. One example of the extent I went to was to wrap the steering column with foam plumbing insulation. I don't have a decibel meter but there was a slight reduction of noise and guess what? It all adds up. Treating most of this is not expensive.....it just takes a bit of time and thought.

Jeff

On 2/13/2018 at 10:22 PM, pflaming said:

Today I drove the truck to a drive shaft company so they could advise me. All looks good, now to install the OD and take measurements. The truck ran comfortably at 2500 RPM's and I had no trouble driving with evening traffic on the freeway and the engine was not maxed out. It was a nice 70 mile round trip. When new refined OD shifter parts are done, it will be installation time for that.

New muffler and pipe reduced a lot of noise, valve adjustment, and new rear non aggressive tires are next. Oh, and the driveline owner is a member of the Fresno MOPAR Club so I may have recruited several more for Tims BBQ.  It was  great day! 

So with my calculations based on your, "tire size", "gear ratio" and RPM, you were cruising at 57 MPH approximately on the Interstate? Or on a US Highway non divided?

I know up here even on the cow trail single lane highways 60 to 65 is the norm speeds.

I know many areas in many US states and on Canadian Freeways, 75 to 85 is the pace, unless all traffic is at a stand still or moving at a snails pace because of an accident..

My son downloaded a DecibelMeter ap. I will do a second reading now and report back. Then I install new body mounts,  adjust the valves, and reexamine my door seals and do a third decibel test.

My final applications will be an AM radio with Wille Nelson, the coal miner's daughter and the Sons of the Pioneers music turned up! I'll put a rifle rack across the rear window with a Daisy Air Rifle, some "Sock It To You" mud flaps,  my "Make America Great Again" white cap on the dash, and maybe hang a donkey tail from the back bumper. 

2 hours ago, ggdad1951 said:

I think the main problem I see with everyone is they expect these old boys to be as quiet as a brand new Lexus.  With a simple kit from Quiet Ride I have no problems having a conversation in FEF while hurtling thru time and space....

I agree.

2 hours ago, pflaming said:

My son downloaded a DecibelMeter ap. I will do a second reading now and report back. Then I install new body mounts,  adjust the valves, and reexamine my door seals and do a third decibel test.

My final applications will be an AM radio with Wille Nelson, the coal miner's daughter and the Sons of the Pioneers music turned up! I'll put a rifle rack across the rear window with a Daisy Air Rifle, some "Sock It To You" mud flaps,  my "Make America Great Again" white cap on the dash, and maybe hang a donkey tail from the back bumper. 

Paul;

The good news is most of the most objectionable noise you are hearing will go away once you turn off fox news..........:)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

Now you’re thinking. Sounds like how the men who made America great back when your truck was built would have drove it.  

31 minutes ago, Jeff Balazs said:

Paul;

The good news is most of the most objectionable noise you are hearing will go away once you turn off fox news..........:)

NO POLITICS!

once warning

4 hours ago, RobertKB said:

If you have a cell phone, you can check your speedometer's accuracy by downloading a free app. I have one called simply Speedometer which, I assume, tells your speed through GPS.

I was going to suggest a speed app too. I have the Speed Box app on my phone. I've checked it against my GPS and speedo on my daily driver. It's quite accurate.

"Well, there goes all the fun. Now what will I do?"

We behave ourselves!  We do not cross even the fine line, that is the beauty of this forum. I've been forewarned and I accept that. 

This morning I did a cabin sound test using a decimeter ap on my iPad. The result(s): between 1500 and 2200 rpm's the decibels are 98 - 102 hardly discernible to the human ear. Next week I will readjust the valves and test again.  The decibel change from 1500 - 2200 was not discernible. 

It it would be interesting to know what the levels are in other similar  trucks. 

To be continued.

Edited by pflaming

I would caution against adjusting valves based on decibel readings.... actually, if you can hear the tappets, it's a good sign, because you know there's clearance. If they're tight, they will be quieter. Tight setting beyond specs will result in hotter valves and less power. 

98-102 db...yeah, almost as quiet as a freeway at 10' distance.

John, I understand. If the valve check is close and all are similar, I will not change anything. I understand a loose timing chain can also be noisy. I'm certain my rock hard body mounts are not helping much either, so that will be next.

John, I understand. If the valve check is close and all are similar, I will not change anything. I understand a loose timing chain can also be noisy. I'm certain my rock hard body mounts are not helping much either, so that will be next.

Lipstick on a pig Paul.

You want the truck as quiet as my 2015 Ram and a soft ride like my Wifeys Jeep Cherokee...lol

Buy some ear plugs or if you wear hearing aids turn them.down a bit...lol

Now seriously how quiet do yah expect your 65 yo truck to sound and feel without going to  full frame swap and complete sound proofing endeavor.

Im all for making them as nice and cozy as possible within the realms of reality.

Mine with dual walker glasspacks and not much insulation for the cab is damn loud you would hate it and most of our Ole Ladys too would not ride in it...lol

Edited by 55 Fargo Spitfire

I'm not trying for a modern cab quiet, yet there is no reason not to fix what does make a difference and that is what I'm doing. Rock hard  cab mounts have got to put send viabration and sound into the cab. At least, I'm going to find out..

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, pflaming said:

I'm not trying for a modern cab quiet, yet there is no reason not to fix what does make a difference and that is what I'm doing. Rock hard  cab mounts have got to put send viabration and sound into the cab. At least, I'm going to find out..

Im sure it will help a bit

• 4 months later...

I haven't installed new body mounts, but will. With new less aggressive thread rear tires the sound has lessened. New body mounts, door seals, an electric radiator fan, and an  overdrive all are on the post Suburban project list. 

• Thanks 1

• 3 months later...

Update: Tuesday I had ny hearing aids adjusted and suddenly my engine is very noisy. A good friend, a  mechanic, listened to it and advised I check the valve clearances and put it on a lift, drop the pan and check the rods. He stated that A. developing problem below is not a difficult fix, if done in time.

im pressing on the Suburban so will park the truck til I can spend a  couple days on it.  I drive it constantly, my only complaint is gas mileage around town is horribly low.