The Phoenix is awakening / B3B Rises from the Ashes

Are there any legal issues with having tail lights not on the tail end of a vehicle?

California motor vehicle code says they should be mounted "on the rear". I guess a lawyer could argue what "on the rear" means.

24600.  During darkness every motor vehicle which is not in combination with any other vehicle and every vehicle at the end of a combination of vehicles shall be equipped with lighted taillamps mounted on the rear as follows:

( a ) Every vehicle shall be equipped with one or more taillamps.

( b ) Every vehicle, other than a motorcycle, manufactured and first registered on or after January 1, 1958, shall be equipped with not less than two taillamps, except that trailers and semitrailers manufactured after July 23, 1973, which are less than 30 inches wide, may be equipped with one taillamp which shall be mounted at or near the vertical centerline of the vehicles. If a vehicle is equipped with two taillamps, they shall be mounted as specified in subdivision (d).

( c ) Every vehicle or vehicle at the end of a combination of vehicles, subject to subdivision (a) of Section 22406 shall be equipped with not less than two taillamps.

( d ) When two taillamps are required, at least one shall be mounted at the left and one at the right side respectively at the same level.

( e ) Taillamps shall be red in color and shall be plainly visible from all distances within 500 feet to the rear except that taillamps on vehicles manufactured after January 1, 1969, shall be plainly visible from all distances within 1,000 feet to the rear.

( f ) Taillamps on vehicles manufactured on or after January 1, 1969, shall be mounted not lower than 15 inches nor higher than 72 inches, except that a tow truck, in addition to being equipped with the required taillamps, may also be equipped with two taillamps which may be mounted not lower than 15 inches nor higher than the maximum allowable vehicle height and as far forward as the rearmost portion of the driver's seat in the rearmost position. The additional taillamps on a tow truck shall be lighted whenever the headlamps are lighted.

Maybe if you got a vintage tow truck rig you could mount those lights as far forward the driver's seat. :)

Just think of it as a combination of running lights, Red ok in back facing areas, yellow if to the side (truck DOT rules as last of my experience, been a while)  and a third brake light. Also thought in that placement the red color should be blocked from the sides by a small shroud  to not show from the sides unless recessed as mentioned.

Posted this at the time Tod was posting.

Now to read his legal info.

DJ

Edited by DJ194950

Now PP has to make his truck into a old tow truck!

DJ

Will NOT cut holes in the cab and will give strong consideration to a bed head board with the lights in / on / ? it.

Will drive it to the house garage tomorrow so I can attend to some adjustments to the garage now that I have used it a bit. Wiring is all IN but not all attached to be properly functional. Then glass and interior.

Whenever I'm doing a modification that I'm not sure that I'm going to keep I try to go with a solution that will allow me to reverse it if if ends up I don't like the finished product.  I think the idea of a bed mounted rack in the stake pockets is a good way to go.  I'm one of the elders here, and I think the tail lights should be just that, on the tail.  If you want to add redundant lights that'd be fine, but most folks wouldn't think to be looking at the rear of the cab for stop, tail, and directional lights if they were the only ones that you had.  When I was driving truck, my tractor had the lights at the end of the frame AND on the rear of the sleeper.  I think you need something on the very end of the truck so that at night someone knows where the vehicle's end is-especially with today's texting tailgaters.

Another option - simply add a second set of tail lights as high as possible on the rear stake pocket.  You could wire them so they only come on with the brake/signal light and you could wire both filaments together.  IMO, lights that change from off  to very bright draw more attention than lights that go from dim to bright.  Just a thought that would also be reversible.  

• Like 1

The cab is not where I'd be looking for tail and brake lights when following.  They may be mounted low but it's where I'd expect them to be.  A center mounted third brake light would not be a bad idea and are not an unusual sight anymore. 

Edited by Dave72dt

Just read back to PP's first question on the taillights placement and saw that he May have been asking about totally replacing the rear mounted tail/brake lights with his higher located lights.

I would Never eliminate the rearmost lights. Adding more? No problem in my book beyond that up to PP.

DJ

• Like 1

I have two pair of OE type tail lights. I am going to  listen to conventional wisdom and put those two pair vertical on the rear of the bed.. That gives me the protection I want and is an "old school" look.

Today I replaced the radiator, started the engine and let it idle til that the radiator water was hot. The water pump and the thermostat then are working. No leaks . . . good feeling. 

Edit: one hour later, got a side core leak in the radiator. Seems to be coming from the top.  

Now the tedious task of completing the wiring. It is all in place but now to get it to function properly will require that one subsystem at a time is hooked up. Head and tail lights first, then brake, then. . . you all know the 'dance'. Wiring completed and I'll take it for a slow drive at the cemetery where I walk most mornings. Drive it among the old timers who are out walking, might get a few interesting stories.

Edited by pflaming

Paul;

Here are some pictures of the lighting arrangement I have on my truck. Picture quality is so-so as flash was used ... but you get the general idea.

I don't ever want to hear "I didn't see you" so it is well lit to be sure.

Note turn signals/ emergency blinkers are amber and are separate from the tail light / brake lights. I added a 6 volt LED brake light on the back window and the cab/running lights are on a separate switch. There is even a 6 volt trouble lite under the hood. Power is supplied by a 50A 6V positive ground alternator by Quality Power.

Jeff

post-4710-0-13472000-1411604299_thumb.jpg

post-4710-0-87113100-1411604311_thumb.jpg

post-4710-0-90762600-1411604325_thumb.jpg

post-4710-0-68123700-1411604335_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Jeff your lite up like a semi!

Where you live I can totally understand!  Especially if driving in the dark/rainy days.

DJ

Jeff, I think a 50 cal. on a stand pointed at the windshield, driver side--- If a car gets Too close behind---! No reason to overdo it! ;)

DJ

Back on track: Tail light issue is closed: Will stay with OE.  For at least three months I've been looking for the front two rims. I had the fire blown tire and one other removed so I could put on a pair of tires one size smaller. I have the tire but not the rims. Out of curiosity I went to the tire store where I buy all my tires and asked if per chance they had removed those tires and had the rims.

Now this is Mid September and we removed those tires in mid May at the latest. The warehouse man said, sure do, been waiting for you. Now match that!  This project gets crazier all the time.

• Like 1

The more color that comes off, the more it looks like a DeLorean. Careful when you get up to 88mph.

Yeah, you might go back in time to when your truck had paint! You'd never find your way back "Marty"! 

Gave me a good laugh Paul. :lol:

48D

• Like 2

Hank, I will now come clean. Here in the valley, drivers' do not have money, insuracne, driver's license, or maybe even citiizenship. If they see a nice truck like yours, they call their insurance lawyer and then drive into you. If they see me, they figure 1 no money, 2. no insurance, 3. AVOID!!!!!!

• Like 3

Hank, I will now come clean. Here in the valley, drivers' do not have money, insuracne, driver's license, or maybe even citiizenship. If they see a nice truck like yours, they call their insurance lawyer and then drive into you. If they see me, they figure 1 no money, 2. no insurance, 3. AVOID!!!!!!

Interesting strategy, Paul. :huh: