keep original IFS or go to MSII?

ushp12

I am building a "tribute" car in my dad's memory.  I am putting a 318 Poly in my '40 Plymouth that will be the same as the '57 Plymouth Fury w/ the v-800, my dad bought one new in '57.  What can I do to make the stock IFS work with this  new engine (or do I need to opt for a new MSII IFS)?  The engine will have a new cam to match the '57 along with the stock Dual Carter Carbs and manifold.  I understand that there is someone on this site that may be able to help me with Parts for the stock IFS?  300 possible hp. 290 was stock.

Thanks !

you can even get stroker kit for the poly now..and there are new aluminum heads being built...the 290 318 of 57 was a might powerful set up and I do remember one that my neighbor had when I was but a pre-teen...but I fail to follow the tribute build of the 57 if your car is an actual 40...and if truly a tribute build of just the engine of the period..then why the hype for more HP over stock...just does not compute to being an honest tribute build..

oh and for the IFS..there is really no reason to go with a modern MII setup unless you just really wish to go that route...

Edited by Plymouthy Adams

Sounds like a Hot Rod.  I like it!  I like the MII as it gets you R&P steering which helps with the interference issues that a stock type steering box presents.  It'll still be tight but doable.  Yeah, yeah,....you can rebuild the stock suspension, get lowering spindles and a Cavalier R&P.  Kinda a jury rigged setup.  I did that,....sort of, first.  If you're going for that much work, I say MII or equiv.  I now have something similar to the MII on my P15 and am very pleased. 

Check my thread, "I'm back"

What?..........a 318 Poly in a 1940 Plymouth?..........NAH!!!........will never work.........lol.......I have had a an Oz 1961 318 Poly in my Oz 1940 Dodge since 1973.......stock style front suspension, ie, 1942-56 upper A Arms, Vented disc brakes, rack & pinion steering, 1" sway bar.........rides and handles o/k..........the mention of a stroker 318 Poly only works with the 1962 -66/7 318 Poly............if I was doing this all again now I'd have used a late Poly............have attached a pic of my car when I 1st built it with the 1957 Fury DV800 intake and crossram/Holley carbs......have had the single 4 Weiand intake and 600 Holley for 30 yrs tho I do have another 1957 intake with a pair of edelbrock carbs.............and Plymouth Adams.........where are these alloy poly heads you mention?........lol..........regards, andyd. 

post-612-0-25296400-1394002714_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-32672000-1394002796_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-88195700-1394002849_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-41879600-1394003363_thumb.jpg

went to look at the thread...sorry for the error Andy...turns out the title of the thread was Poly Heads last day to order....turns out for intakes and cast valve covers and not the actual heads....I had read the earlier thread of poly stroker kit and the mention of milling heads on a CNC machine so I wrongly thought aluminum heads were being cast and milled...they are reworking stock heads on a CNC machine.....the poly stroker kit however does say application for 1956-1966..lots of stuff being done lately for the poly and that is good to some degree but as always they more interested in max builds than sustaining the standard block with economical rebuild kits..I have driven quite a number of poly 318's back in the day..they are an engine you grow quite fond of if you ever owned them...the last of the poly block I drove was in a 66 Plymouth...I did just a bit back make brackets and installed AC on a 58 Dodge 326..

Plymouthy........no worries....alloy heads got my heart all a flutter......lol.........was gunna order one of the new cast alloy Poly intakes but by the time it would have landed here in Oz it would have been more $$ than I have at present.....and besides I really like 2 carbs.......lol.......re the Stroker kits for 318 Polys I maybe wrong there but I was under the impression that they suited the later 318......but its a moot point as the $$$$$ will stop the idea at present also........wish I had taken some better pics with the original twin 4 setup back in the mid 70's......I got the complete intake and carbys and the carbies needed rebuilding, got a pair of kits & put them through each carby, setup everything and went thru 2 fire extinguishers, my eyebrows, nose hair and fringe......lol.......with all the backfiring......so got the Offy adaptors and 600 Holleys that are shown on the pic.......much better......sort of...lol.....but the single one was best..........andyd

at 1800 for a storker kit...I am sure that any head if being remade would be astronomical..after reading more on the thread..they are still not forthcoming much on the head milling but state that the heads once done and tested will have the CNC data on file for duplication for folks to ship their heads in for the process...and it goes to them who in turn farm it out to another company who is privy to their proprietary info..am sure that will be quite the penny and who knows what the turn around may be...more fingers in the pie usually means the bigger the mess...I remember tuning duals on a 426 long ago...was a nightmare because the shop did not have a sync tool and was to cheap to get one..told them it was like sending a blind man into a house of mirrors..funny to watch but very painful for the man..

some of the later stroker kits takes the 360 LA to 408 cubes..as for the 318 late model stroker...one kit is listed at going to 392 cubes....quite a bit of difference..I think that is overkill for anything on the street personally so never get too involved with the idea..

I'll bet if you add up the cost to add disc brakes, springs, shocks, rebuild parts ect. you won't be far off the price of a new IFS. With the new IFS you get correct geometry for radial tires, power steering if you want it and coilovers.

I'm putting a Scott's Hot Rods IFS on my 38 right now. The Scotts front end is far superior to Fat Man, and less $$ then the big names. It's a big job, but if you can measure & weld it's doable. My car has a 67 318, and the next step is motor mounts.

If you do go with Scott's, be aware that their written directions leave alot to be desired, but they usully respond to emails or phone calls within a day.

I can give you alot of hard earned tips if you need them!

Be aware that if you go to a MII you will either have to remove the spring pockets and plate the frame like MR Story did or cut the frame off and use square tubing to make a new front clip to accept the MII cross member and make a new radiator support to mount the front sheet metal to.

Oh...I don't know...lets see 12.1 power disc in the front, 11 inch drums in rear, ABS rear, power R&P, massive sway bar, modern geometry, and properly mounted shocks....and lets add the 3.55 rear gear, low mileage V6 engine with an extra 113 pones over stock, 5 speed tranny, 22 gal gas tank, all new wiring, active air bag, 4 speaker stereo, air conditioning, swing pedals, tilt wheel, telescoping column, bucket seats, full console driveshaft set of modern mags, and Michelin tires,  intermittent multispeed wipers, standard clutch fan with aux electric fan all for a bit less than 500.00 out of pocket....yeah...I think you can beat the math many times over...and still be Mopar...soapbox.gif

TooBadBrad.........I've been running radial tyres on my 40 Dodge since 1973 when the V8 poly got installed, I have essentially the standard style front suspension, albeit with later upper arms, 1" sway bar, etc ........with the correct factory 1940 wheel alignment I haven't had any issue regarding abnormal wear on the front tyres which are 205/70x14 radials.............andyd 

Andy, no doubt you can run radials on the orig suspention with good results. I ran them on my drop axle too but it steered like a bus no mater what I tried! I'm only saying if your going to modify the car anyway, you may be ahead in the long run to put new stuff on it, especialy if your going to drive it a lot. I learned this leason on my 56 Chevy. By the time I put tubular A arms , drop spindles, disc brakes, sway bar and power steering on it I spent the same money as a new IFS with rack & pinion.

James, the Scotts front end comes already welded to new frame sections. All you do is cut out 20" of the old frame and weld in the new pieces with the crossmember already attached.

What?..........a 318 Poly in a 1940 Plymouth?..........NAH!!!........will never work.........lol.......I have had a an Oz 1961 318 Poly in my Oz 1940 Dodge since 1973.......stock style front suspension, ie, 1942-56 upper A Arms, Vented disc brakes, rack & pinion steering, 1" sway bar.........rides and handles o/k..........the mention of a stroker 318 Poly only works with the 1962 -66/7 318 Poly............if I was doing this all again now I'd have used a late Poly............have attached a pic of my car when I 1st built it with the 1957 Fury DV800 intake and crossram/Holley carbs......have had the single 4 Weiand intake and 600 Holley for 30 yrs tho I do have another 1957 intake with a pair of edelbrock carbs.............and Plymouth Adams.........where are these alloy poly heads you mention?........lol..........regards, andyd. 

andy  im going to  pm  you,,,,