"Northern Forts Tour" by D25

bamfordsgarage

no external coolant leak, coolant loss , points to internal cool leak, and possible combustion burning of coolant, if not contaminating oil.The antifreeze solution most likely good to -40, should be fine, even if only to -30, it may gel, but not likely. I have driven many times this winter in much colder than -20, with -45 probably the lowest, once engine heats up just fine.

The symptoms you describe are very indicative of an air pocket, coolant level is low, wild quick temp fluctuations, much like refilling the entire cooling system for the 1st time.

head gasket??? intake/exhaust manifold gasket leaks???? 

I hope all goes well, and this is a temporary problem you can diagnose and cure. Great pics and dialogue as usual....

Hello all, Day 3, 451 Calder Ave to 123 Wilderness Ave., 1/2 block today.

It was 20° below this morning, we plugged the car in at 06:45 and tried to start it at 09:15… almost caught, tried again and an ominous clunk came from the starter region, followed by a whirring like gears kissing gears. Crap.

A neighbour stopped by to look at the car and visit and offered a tow to his heated 30x30 shop and use of his tools to help sort out our problems. He didn't have to offer twice. The plan was to address the starter issue then do a compression test and proceed from there based on test results.

Sadly, that never happened. It would appear this starter is toast. Perhaps I overworked it trying to start a too-cold engine. In any event, we pulled it out and apart, saw nothing wrong but still no go on reinstallation. It sounds a bit like a low battery but that is not the problem — what we have is a massive short whenever the solenoid is engaged. Crap.

A parellel examination of the radiator revealed evidence of seepage in two places. Perhaps all the pounding we gave the car coming up the winter road yesterday shook loose a couple 65 year-old solder joints. The nearest rad shop is 354 miles away. Crap.

We still suspect a bum head gasket, based on coolant consumption, overly-white tailpipe gas and possible air/vapour pockets around the temperature bulb. Crap.

And, finally, Jerry noticed not one but two bulges in our LF tire, again possibly from yesterday's pounding. Crap.

My spare starter and rad from the parts car (both as-pulled and not yet checked) are in Edmonton. The closest bus service is also 354 miles away. The Alberta Motor Association (our version of AAA) would happily tow me home with free pickup, first hundred miles free and $3.50/km thereafter. In round figures, about $4,000. Crap.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _

Time for a time out. With heavy hearts we took the neighbour's kind offer of an outdoor parking spot and are flying home tomorrow. $454 each. Crap.

In a few months we'll return in Jerry's modern, packing an overhauled radiator and starter, more tools, four summer tires on rims, and a positive cheerful attitude. Our hosts here, and the folks where the car is say we are welcome back anytime to stay and work until the car is back on the road. No Crap!

So, sad news and a big disappointment, but I'm trying to look at the bright side — since 2008 we've driven that car to all four coasts, 35 states, three provinces, two territories, in all seasons, on all kinds of roads and, frankly, giving it all kinds of abuse. Our problems have been minor and our fun enormous. We've beat the odds for a very long time and this was only to be expected. And so much better to have all the problems at one time than spread them out over many trips.

Till later this year...

Photos: Finger points to a small bulge, the big one opposite is obvious; Heading down to the neighbours yard; Big Mike and son John with their new yard art.

post-1019-0-52327500-1394372620_thumb.jpg

post-1019-0-38872700-1394372630_thumb.jpg

post-1019-0-32181200-1394372639_thumb.jpg

Very sorry for your misfortune Chris, but in short order you will retrieve the old girl. No doubt that rough road, extreme cold has takin some toll on those components. You and jerry, are still very courageous men, driving this old car into "no mans" land, it's 1 thing to drive man miles where there are service and parts along the way, but driving in isolated areas is quite another. Take care and look forward to the next part of this adventure....

• Like 1

Too bad it had to end this way. However, you have a positive attitude about the future and getting the old girl home again which will happen. As you mentioned, you have dodged (pun intended) a bullet in the past but unfortunately caught one this time. See you in May at Red Deer unless you are retrieving the D25 then.

• Like 1

Sorry to hear your winter adventure has been cut short.You and Jerry have a lot of experience and past travels to reflect back on,thanks for sharing them with us.I'm sure the old Dodge isn't ready to br counted out just yet.Nice there was help close at hand.Depending on when you head back into that country,taking along a six pack of Deep Woods may be in order.lol..

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

So we left the broken car in a fellow's backyard up in Fort Smith, Northwest Territories 800 miles/1,300km away) in early March, planning a retrieval mission for May or June. The idea was to take a good replacement radiator and starter with us, and deal with the other problems on site.

A few days after we got home, the fellow called to say his neighbor Stan sometimes hauls stuff from Edmonton up to Fort Smith, but goes down to Edmonton empty. Not only that but he offered to haul the Dodge down in a couple of weeks and deliver it to my driveway for $300. Bingo!

The two weeks passed and his trip was going to be two weeks later. Then two weeks after that. And after that. And after that. and so on. Sometime in early May the story changed to "a week or two", and then another week or two and another. I called him a couple days ago and left a message that went unanswered.  It was definitely looking like a rescue road trip was in order.

Lo and behold I got a call today from the fellow storing the car saying Stan was there to pick it up and could I tell him how much it weighs! An hour later, I got the photo below and made arrangements with Stan for delivery late Monday or early Tuesday. Right on!

Photos: Good thing that roof rack wasn't much higher; With the Dodge gone, I had to use an old car for my daily driver.

post-1019-0-68235000-1402282982_thumb.jpeg

post-1019-0-64531800-1402283142_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

The old Dodge is on the comeback trail. Please keep us posted on the repairs and when the Dodge is back on the road.

Sure hope your picture of the "old car" was taken a while ago or spring has not arrived with you yet. :P

• Like 1

...Sure hope your picture of the "old car" was taken a while ago or spring has not arrived with you yet...

That picture was taken late April, but our spring and summer were both slow to kick in.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

I'm pleased to report the Dodge got home this morning. It was sure good to get behind the wheel again, if only to steer it out of the trailer. Once it stops drizzling I'll pull the radiator and starter and take it from there.

Photos: Stan says this 35' trailer will be full and heading back to Fort Smith by nightfall. Southerners note the distinctive Northwest Territories license plate; In 23 years the old heap has seen a couple tow trucks but never a trailer 'til this trip; Home at last!

post-1019-0-81959000-1402423354_thumb.jpg

post-1019-0-16419300-1402423469_thumb.jpg

post-1019-0-58604300-1402423895_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Congratulations Chris. Must feel good to have it back home. Don't forget to throw your 'spare' hubcap into the trunk for your next adventure. Hope the repairs go smoothly.

Phil

Chis,

I have to ask, did you or have you pulled the radiator yet, and if so, did you pull the front clip off, or remove the water pump to get at the radiator?   My crank pulley split on me last month, to change it I pulled the water pump off to get at the radiator so I could remove that also.  It was a lot of work, and to be honest with you, I think it would have been easier to pull the front clip to get at the pulley.  I will say thanks to Sears for the rachet wrench, which made it much easier to get at the bottom center bolt on the water pump.  I have it all back together now, thanks to my son as he is the professional mechanic, I know just enough to be dangerous LOL

post-668-0-67924800-1402959087_thumb.jpg

post-668-0-19466300-1402959096_thumb.jpg

post-668-0-81808600-1402959151_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I pulled the radiator last week — its repaired now and waiting for pickup and I didn't have to remove the water pump to get the rad out. I did take off the fan, but could probably have gotten away with leaving that in place as well.  I replaced the water pump a few years ago without removing the rad and it was not particularly difficult, so maybe the difficulties you had with component clearance vanished with my long-block Canadian setup and thus different radiator location.

• 2 months later...

Just wondering if you have the car back together and if you have been out and about with it?

Thanks Bob, yes back together and in regular use.

Last weekend the Edmonton Antique Car Club had our annual "Oldies Tour", with distances and roads more suited to prewar vehicles. Lady Michelle and I went in my '24 Ford T Speedster and friend Jerry and Darlene took the old Dodge. 420 miles total with no problems, either car. One the first evening, Jerry, Michelle, two others and myself set out in the Dodge in search for the Whitecourt Meteor Crater: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whitecourt_crater

We took gravel and then logging roads as far as possible then walked in the rest of the way. Ultimately the search was unsuccessful (we plan another expedition in late September) but it made for a nice evening and some fun driving. There were a bunch of mud holes like the first pic below that were no problem, but we did not attempt the one in the second photo — which is where we parked and walked in.

post-1019-0-01376400-1408819341_thumb.jpg

post-1019-0-87357900-1408819924_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

. . . Ultimately the search was unsuccessful (we plan another expedition in late September) . . .

The Wiki page you link to has the lat/lon for the crater with what looks like pretty fine resolution. Did you use a GPS receiver to get to the location? In that forested terrain that seems like the only way you'd have a chance of getting there barring a signed path.

The Wiki page you link to has the lat/lon for the crater with what looks like pretty fine resolution. Did you use a GPS receiver to get to the location? In that forested terrain that seems like the only way you'd have a chance of getting there barring a signed path.

We had two hand-held GPS. Our problem was we started down the wrong logging road which meant we had to bush walk a mile further each way than expected — we turned back approx 3/4 mile shy of the destination in order to have enough daylight to turn the car around and drive back to civilization.