Started the teardown, and now the build up.

casper50

I'm pretty sure it's been replaced.  It has two spots of that "junkyard yellow" paint on it. 

Not that it matters, as you're doing a thorough job, but I'll wager those are factory inspection marks, mine still has some faint traces, too. 

I just priced everything needed for the Scarebird front disc conversion. Everything brand new comes to $581 to my door.  I don't think that's a bad price at all.  Going to place my order for the kit tomorrow.

• 5 weeks later...

A little more progress.  New Moog springs and tie rod ends.  Going with Scarebird front discs.  I'd like to give some credit to Rich Hartung for the loan of his Miller tools to put the A-arms back together.  Made it go much smoother and quicker.  Rich is offering a great service loaning these tools out.

post-6321-0-17067400-1411127241_thumb.jpg

post-6321-0-32405600-1411127296_thumb.jpg

post-6321-0-53652800-1411127307_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Disc brakes are mounted on the front.  Used a Scarebird kit.  Only hiccup was that I had to grind a very small bit on the calipers where they slide into the bracket slots.  Really happy with it so far.

what was the caliper  from ?  never seen one with that type  pad  retainer,,,

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

A little more finished.  Relocated the shocks.  Bought the brackets but wasn't real happy with what I received for the money spent.  Added the metal that fits flat against the frame.  All the kit came with was the two parts that bolt to the top of the shock.  Oh well, live and learn.

post-6321-0-76948500-1417109651_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

A little more finished.  Relocated the shocks.  Bought the brackets but wasn't real happy with what I received for the money spent.  Added the metal that fits flat against the frame.  All the kit came with was the two parts that bolt to the top of the shock.  Oh well, live and learn.

shock  relocation  will make a world  of difference  in  ride and  handeling,,,

Disassembled the engine tonight to see what's needed. Nothing gave me any problems.  I always get a few nuts/bolts that don't want to come out or something but everything went very smooth.  I'm kind of in mild shock.  Some good news some bad.   No sludge in the oil pan, no ridges or anything in the cylinders. A few main and rod bearings are slightly scored.  None that I can see on the crank.

post-6321-0-83265200-1417800683_thumb.jpg

post-6321-0-41330700-1417800792_thumb.jpg

Edited by casper50

What did your oil look like when you drained the pan??

Almost appears to have some water contamination in whats still in the pan and valve lifter area.

Hopes it's just from sitting too long!

DJ