Started the teardown, and now the build up.

casper50

I've worked about 20 hours putting the hood on.  What a pain in the a55.  Driver's side still isn't quite there but I can't get it any closer.  If anyone wants to know what the ride height for the Moog springs is this is what mine looks like.   Just the grill and a few small pieces of chrome and the interior left for more weight.

IMG_1323.jpg

• Like 2

So it looks like it isn't just me who has a real PIA time fitting the front sheet metal. I tried like hell but my hood still has a big gap on the front near the grille on my '39. I suspect these never really fit all that great from factory.

-Chris

I think it's pretty typical of the era as well.  I spent hours and hours finessing the gaps on a 48 Ford before it got color on it and the front third of the car was horrible.  They were noted for having ill fitting hoods.  I ended up using a welder and a strip of metal to close the gap at the front of it, splitting both inner fenderwells top to bottom to take the hump out of the fenders to close the side gaps, filling mounting hole, drilling new ones.  Granted the hood had been sectioned and a new center section grafted in and that it had fiberglass fenders on it that didn't fit well. I must have had the front end on and off at least a dozen times before satisfied with fit.  We tend to expect better gaps and fitment than when they were new, maybe because we're used to it.  You can get them  but you may have to be willing to be a bit creative in your adjustments, best when done before you paint it.

passenger side stainless is done.  I have most of the drivers side done as well.  Just the long piece over the rear fender left but am waiting on some clips.  I don't want to polish it and then let it lay around the shop for a week.  Took a look at the grill.  It had a few small dents that I was able to mostly get out.  Can't take it apart, looks to be spot welded together, so it's not going to be polished as I can't get into the nooks and crannies.

IMG_1324.jpg

Edited by casper50
  • Like 1

Thought that I'd start the rear bumper next.  I've got a very nice driver front but haven't found a decent rear as of yet.   So, I thought that I'd see what a chrome vinyl wrap looks like.  First bunch of photos are as removed.  Black stuff is thick tar.  2nd bunc are sanded to 80 grit.  Then a test piece on the most difficult area.  Painting the letters should be left to professionals I believe.  Looks good enough to try and do the whole thing.

IMG_1331.jpg

IMG_1329.jpg

IMG_1330.jpg

When I removed the test piece I looked at the back and there was a very tiny speck of something under that bubble above the "V and E".  Have to make sure it's spotless or it will show.

IMG_1339.jpg

IMG_1336.jpg

IMG_1337.jpg

IMG_1338.jpg

Edited by casper50

Thanks for posting, I was also not aware of this option. I hope to have the opportunity to see an example of the installed product up close. :)

On 1/5/2017 at 1:24 PM, casper50 said:

I've worked about 20 hours putting the hood on.  What a pain in the a55.  Driver's side still isn't quite there but I can't get it any closer.  If anyone wants to know what the ride height for the Moog springs is this is what mine looks like.   Just the grill and a few small pieces of chrome and the interior left for more weight.

IMG_1323.jpg

Is it just me or does the rear wheel look too far forward in the fender opening? 

On 19/01/2017 at 7:17 PM, casper50 said:

When I removed the test piece I looked at the back and there was a very tiny speck of something under that bubble above the "V and E".  Have to make sure it's spotless or it will show.

IMG_1339.jpg

IMG_1336.jpg

IMG_1337.jpg

IMG_1338.jpg

Could work with the wrap. I do wrapping as part of my business.  A couple of tips. Wipe well with acetone, then wipe again to remove residue. 

Secure the bumper, or you could soon be chasing it around the bench.

Allow a fair bit of waste to start with to allow you to manulipulate the material,  and when it becomes tricky remove waste.

If heating to form, don't just heat the small area, heat a larger area to allow movement through out the material.

Apply from inside to out when squeging on.

Post heat after so the vinyl gets its memory.

What material are you looking to use?

Should be good. Probably going to wrap a few bits on mine.

Dave 

• Like 1