Started the teardown, and now the build up.

casper50

Since I'm waiting on primer/sealer for the Pontiac I decided to change out the vent wing rubber on the coupe.  The stuff that I got from Andy  was too short and not quite wide enough.  Got lucky and found someone on ebay selling NORS ones a few months ago.  I'm pretty sure they are original MOPAR parts. In raised letters on the back "CHRYSLER - DODGE - DE SOTO 42 - 48 YBM6-892691 -  INDUSTRIA ARGENTINA".  These fit perfectly. The 1/4" gap that I had before on the outside between the rubber and the edge of the metal is now covered.  Also the 1/2" gaps at the top and bottom rear where the wing meets the rollup window are also filled with rubber.   I'm much happier.

IMG_2113.jpg

IMG_2114.jpg

IMG_2115.jpg

Do you have any links so I can buy a set for my 42?

Got them off of ebay.  Parts the guy had left after he sold the car.  I do not recommend Andy Berbaum's vent rubber.  I bought all the rubber for the car from Andy and the vent rubber was the only pieces that I had problems with.

13 minutes ago, casper50 said:

Got them off of ebay.  Parts the guy had left after he sold the car.  I do not recommend Andy Berbaum's vent rubber.  I bought all the rubber for the car from Andy and the vent rubber was the only pieces that I had problems with.

OK,thanks. I already ran a search on ebay before I posted to you,and had no luck.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been looking for a decent chrome rear bumper and center hood strip for my coupe for a couple of years now.  I have found one hood strip on ebay but it's not perfect at all and at $400 he can keep it.  I decided to try and strip and polish a spare that I had.  Someone on the forum put this idea in my head after I read their post here.  It looks quite nice.  I'll have to swap it onto the coupe now.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...

A recap.  When I received my reconditioned clock from the repair guy it would run for days hooked straight up to a battery on the bench.  But, would run for about 15 to 20 minutes only when mounted in the car and hooked up to the full time hot terminal on the headlight switch that the diagram said it was suppose to go to.  Had time yesterday to run a wire from the clock hot to the battery.  Took it off of the headlight terminal.  Ran for about 22 hours and stopped again.  Tapped it and it restarted and has been running for another 7 + hours.  Will see how long it runs this time.  Last thing that doesn't work on the coupe.  Hoping to get it going full time.

• 1 month later...

I haven't liked the way the cherry bomb mufflers sound on the coupe since I got it running.  Too loud and lots of brap brap brap when letting off of the gas.  Changed them out for 2 Turbo Tube mufflers from Summit for $60.    Still a bit louder than I wanted but much better.  I can hear the radio when doing 55mph now.

6 hours ago, casper50 said:

I haven't liked the way the cherry bomb mufflers sound on the coupe since I got it running.  Too loud and lots of brap brap brap when letting off of the gas.  Changed them out for 2 Turbo Tube mufflers from Summit for $60.    Still a bit louder than I wanted but much better.  I can hear the radio when doing 55mph now.

That is cool! Looked (sounded) like a '40's movie when it was coming up the road.    :)

I thought back in the day the mufflers made the music. AM radio was only made for when you were parked with your girl out in a quiet spot??

Wouldn't know myself I'm not that old!!

We had FM! ?

Sounds good!!

DJ

After sundown all am stations had ri significantly reduce their power so we listened to a LARGE clear Chanel station out of Texas.el Paso if memory is accurate. .