Started the teardown, and now the build up.

casper50

The complete new wiring harness is in the car.  Now working at hooking all the ends up.  Getting there.  The upholster has everything made except for the carpet and is trying to find time to come out and install the headliner.  I'm still working on wrapping the rear bumper.  With only two hands when 4 or 5 are needed it's very slow going.  What I've done so far looks pretty good.

• 2 weeks later...

Got to a point yesterday where I said I'm going to do the garish molding.  I've never hydrodipped anything before, but, it went way better than I thought it would.  I have a couple of pieces that have a light spot or two but it went really well.

Just primered.

IMG_1354.jpg

IMG_1355.jpg

• Like 1

I bought the film and the release spray online.  It's all over.  I built a 2x12 frame and stapeled plastic inside to use as a tank.  Watch lots of videos on youtube, think about how you are going to dip each piece so that there's no voids and lay your film out flat before hand so that the wrinkles come out.  Once in the water the wrinkles make thick lines.

• Like 3

After your post I did watch a lot of u tube videos on this process. Appears Not be totally hard but does in deed take  a careful/steady hand and careful prep.!!

You did Very, Very  good with the first time work! :wub: I

I have seen a few companies that were doing it at the start on car parts, but the were also expensive beyond my pocketbook!  Love the idea that it can be done at home!!

May I ask the type of burl wood that pattern mimics and which of the many sellers online you bought it from??

DJ

for the film

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HYDROGRAPHIC-FILM-HYDRODIPPING-WATER-TRANSFER-HYDRO-DIP-BURL-WOOD-BW-18-10-/112235463504?hash=item1a21c14350:g:CxYAAOSwa~BYT0cm

for the activator.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=HYDROGRAPHIC+film+release&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=HYDROGRAPHIC+activator&_sacat=0

Don't buy the film until you are ready to use it.  set it out and try and remove the fold wrinkles as they will haunt you later if left.   I used regular rustoleum rusty metal primer for the base coat.   I tried 5 different base coat colors on a scrap piece before I chose which one I liked best.   Different color base coats will change the final color of the part.  Use a larger piece than you think you need.   Film is much cheaper than having to redo the part because it wasn't large enough.     Tape the edges of the film with masking tape.  If you don't the film will disapate when sprayed with activator.

I know the price varies depending on condition and what part of the country you live in,but could you give us a price on what it cost to rechrome your bumpers?