Started the teardown, and now the build up.

casper50

Dads former 66 mustang GT was painted a color called black jade. Looks black in all the photos but was really a green.

ed023.jpg

Edited by Young Ed

The vinyl is a very dark green and the cloth is an old ivory, because my wife was born in Scotland I'm going to add a small horizontal stripe at the top of each door panel in Morrison green tartan.  Dash and window trim will be burl walnut.

Edited by casper50
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I'm sitting here slowly typing this with my toes as my arms are worn down to nubs from sanding and sanding and sanding.  Put the guide coat on and everything is now sanded to 400 grit. I'm surprised so far at how straight the body has come out.  Of course the proof is when the paint is on.  All flaws become visible then.

I've used a leaf blower to blow out my shop today for over an hour.  Will do the same for the next few days until I get most/all of the dust out.  Then the primer/sealer coat goes on.  Getting close to some color soon.  Exciting times a coming.  Have decided to use a tintable bedliner on the underside of the body.  http://www.amazon.com/U-POL-Tintable-TRUCK-LINER-COATING-Bedliner/dp/B002M0S9AE   Not sure about the inside of the fenders as of yet.  I'm leaning towards no though. Will tint it the same as the body color.

post-6321-0-92735300-1457211160_thumb.jpg

post-6321-0-39874800-1457211174_thumb.jpg

post-6321-0-87739300-1457211224_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Thats pretty good typing considering it is with your toes :P - admire your stamina, it can be pretty soul destroying doing all that sanding and blocking and you then realise just how big these things are :o.

Like I said before though - I reckon yours will look better than it did in the dealers showroom by the time you have finished!

That Raptor is pretty good stuff, my next door neighbour used it to paint the outside of his 4x4. The only thing I would note is his had a deliberately "rough" finish, kinda crinkle cut, not smooth. Don't know if you can get different styles of finsh.

On one of the VW Vans I am doing I am gonna put a couple of coats of tinted Epoxy primer on the chassis and then a clear underseal (Dinitrol sort of stuff). The Epoxy is hard as nails and with the clear wax will still give me a bit of colour (as they had from factory)

Cheers,

Paul.

Edited by mm289

Thats pretty good typing considering it is with your toes :P

Yea, sure is,  I'd like to see a picture of that!  Or, maybe not!

As with most things, success with bed liner is all about the prep-work. Follow the instructions and you'll be a happy camper; cut corners and you may find the liner peeling off before you know it.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Casper, could you possibly send me or put up some pictures from the underneath of the A pillar, the post the door bolts on to (just in case you call it something else) and inside underneath the a pillar as well, so I can use them for reference. I now have both sills (rocker) panels in and B pillars connected. Would be ever so grateful

Ta Dave

Now have the underside, inside of the body and front fenders and doors in primer/sealer.  Will get the rest into sealer within the next 2 days.  I just noticed that my lens as dirty and cleaned it.  Better photos next time.

post-6321-0-50732900-1458170755_thumb.jpg

post-6321-0-77910800-1458170766_thumb.jpg

Edited by casper50

Now have the underside, inside of the body and front fenders and doors in primer/sealer.  Will get the rest into sealer within the next 2 days.  I just noticed that my lens as dirty and cleaned it.  Better photos next time.

I guess there is no way I can convince you to paint it back to the original green it was when you bought it?

To me,that sure is a pretty shade of green!

Hi Casper,

Thanks they are great. I can use them as an idea how it goes and shape.

Because I had no bottom of the body.

I started with this as a sill/rocker panel

post-8558-0-86472200-1458223171_thumb.jpg

And end up with this

post-8558-0-67695100-1458223219_thumb.jpg

It's getting closer to being solid again. On the wheels soon for the floor, then boot floor and rear body mounts.

The body of for all the underneath and prep work

Ta Dave

• Like 1

Super work Dave.

I think it looks good in someways, and bad in others.But will be fine in the end considering what i started with

post-8558-0-08214900-1458224206_thumb.jpg

I'm now trying to decide weather to put it on bags or not.

I'm going to upgrade the brakes to discs and servo, so maybe swap the rear end out and 4 bar it????

Will see how it goes.

Yours looks very good,

Ta Dave

all is in primer/sealer now.  couple of days drying time and it's back to sanding again.  600 this time.

That thing is so slick right now that my hand cramps up when I look at it.

Am so happy with the way it's turning out I had to make a video.  Don't know why it stops and starts.  I have been very nervous about how straight the metal work would turnout.  This being my first time really doing what I hope will turn out to be a quality job.  You Tube, patience and going back over every little thing one more time seems to have paid off.  Enjoy.

Edited by casper50
  • Like 3

re rear axle  Panhard bar.....  I put this post in the wrong place. Not sure how but

that is me with computers.  Just followed your thread from post # 1.  Great job.

Edited by dpollo