Removing horn ring, 53 Plymouth?

austinsailor

I'm disassembling my '53 to get the wiring out to send it off as a sample to have a new one made. I ran into 2 problems.

Problem 1, I can't get the steering wheel off, because I can't get the center of the horn ring out.  I would have thought I would just pry out the center, but it doesn't seem to work.  If I get any more aggressive with it I think I will destroy it.  I just don't see any other way for it to come apart, though. Ideas?

Problem 2, I have these connectors under the dash. The wires need to come out to remove the wires, the connectors won't go through the holes.  I think they should just be a snap in deal, to be pulled back out. Any thoughts, as they don't seem to be giving.

post-459-0-75851500-1393557013_thumb.jpg

post-459-0-43577300-1393557052_thumb.jpg

post-459-0-02842200-1393557076_thumb.jpg

The 3 wire connector is not the same on both ends. Anyone take the wires out of one of these?  I suppose I can cut the wires and splice if necessary.

Thanks,

Gene 

Edited by austinsailor

To remove the horn button---push down firmly twist counter clockwise release it should pop up 1/4"-remove.

As for the turn signal wire connectors the wires pull out form the smoother end of the black connector.

Bob

So I push in just the center, (3" or 4" dia) not the whole chrome ring (12" or so), correct? 

And the wires, just pull hard on the wire from the end without the bigger lip, holding the connector. No sticking something in it to release the connector or anything like that?

Thank,

Gene

Yes turn the center button only. There are 3 jaws under it that hook to the horn ring so push down andturn  CCW to release it and let it come up-that is as long as no one has messed with it! There is a round spring plate and rubber donut pushing the horn button up.

As for the wires very firmly pull one wire at a time. They will release.

post-302-0-53788700-1393560306_thumb.jpg

post-302-0-05309900-1393560321_thumb.jpg

Edited by Dodgeb4ya

Great information! Got it all apart.

Something I figured out that might help someone else. I could push the center in, but my fingers would slip when I tried to turn it. I ended up putting some of that velcro with the sticky back on it, then the other part of the velcro on my hand. Then I had plenty of traction. I suppose double sided tape would do the same thing, I had Velcro handy.

If you do this and glue is left on the part alcohol will take it off with no damage.

Gene

Something I figured out that might help someone else. I could push the center in, but my fingers would slip when I tried to turn it. I ended up putting some of that velcro with the sticky back on it, then the other part of the velcro on my hand. Then I had plenty of traction. I suppose double sided tape would do the same thing, I had Velcro handy.

If you do this and glue is left on the part alcohol will take it off with no damage.

Good tip. Thanks.