Swap to new hemi 6.4

my48

Very interesting post... I need to do everything on my 50 Wayfarer 3 P coupe and was considering using a 6.1 or a 6.4 hemi myself. recently sense I can not find a frame (lots of damage from sitting on a hill side), I have toyed with the idea of building one that would use the 06 and up Charger front and rear suspension, engine and transmission. the car itself needs a full workup, body and drive train.

I am open to idea's to get this back to working order, but will keep it in the mopar family--- no chevy small block, no ford rearend.

This is my first dodge older then 1966. I have done a few 46-72 chevy and fords, and numerous 72-currant of the "big Three" but feed this little stray coupe at the auction and it followed me home.

If you can afford the 6.4 you can find a way to make it fit.   Its not easy to make even an older 5.7 work in an older car, at least it does not seem so to me.  The new motors are even more complex.  But I think crate motors are sold that are made to work with a carb, haven't paid much attention to Mopar crate V8s lately.

hot wires will make u a wiring harness to do what ever  u need to do with  any  magnum  or modern hemi project,,any trans to any  motor,,,,

Hotwire made a harness for my 1950 Suburban 5.7 project.  Very nice work. I needed to buy a forward control module, a 2008 PCM and an abs computer. All these have to be married together and programed to operate. I also had to add a tone ring and sensors to the rear of the transmission. I had to buy a shifter from a late model charger to make the trans work. Then I needed to find a drive shaft from a Ford Ranger and modify it to fit.  Then add in Speedway Motors Hemi motor mounts,universal transmission mount kit and Street and Performance block hugger headers.  Oh I had to get a rear sump oil pan and pickup, a GM power steering pump and new pulley and put in a Cavalier steering rack.  Engine and trans $2800.00. Around $5000.00 to put all this together.  Around $7800.00 total. Not cheap but it was what I wanted to do.

Don

Edited by Don Colliau

Hotwire made a harness for my 1950 Suburban 5.7 project.  Very nice work. I needed to buy a forward control module, a 2008 PCM and an abs computer. All these have to be married together and programed to operate. I also had to add a tone ring and sensors to the rear of the transmission. I had to buy a shifter from a late model charger to make the trans work. Then I needed to find a drive shaft from a Ford Ranger and modify it to fit.  Then add in Speedway Motors Hemi motor mounts,universal transmission mount kit and Street and Performance block hugger headers.  Oh I had to get a rear sump oil pan and pickup, a GM power steering pump and new pulley and put in a Cavalier steering rack.  Engine and trans $2800.00. Around $5000.00 to put all this together.  Around $7800.00 total. Not cheap but it was what I wanted to do.

Don

what was special  about the  ranger drive shaft ??   

About a month ago a Woodies on the Warf in Santa Cruz I saw a very nice 1946 Chrysler T&C Convertible with a Viper engine in it.  Walking up to and around the car it looked dead stock. It had a new frame and chassis with the Viper engine in it.

I talked with the man for about 15 minutes.  Very nice job.  The man who owns it also owns "The Goodguys".  I have been told by his upholsterer, who did the top for my '49, that the car ran about $250K.

Anything can be done.  Just depends on how much you can do and how much you have to pay for.

James.   

About a month ago a Woodies on the Warf in Santa Cruz I saw a very nice 1946 Chrysler T&C Convertible with a Viper engine in it.  Walking up to and around the car it looked dead stock. It had a new frame and chassis with the Viper engine in it.

I talked with the man for about 15 minutes.  Very nice job.  The man who owns it also owns "The Goodguys".  I have been told by his upholsterer, who did the top for my '49, that the car ran about $250K.

Anything can be done.  Just depends on how much you can do and how much you have to pay for.

James.   

that  town and country was a basket case when  he started it,,and he drives it to most good guys events,,,  he can  afford it im sure  lol

what was special  about the  ranger drive shaft ??   

The flange yoke will fit the four finger yoke on the transmission. The shaft also is a slip joint unit. The new transmissions don't have a slip yoke on them. They are a bolt on yoke.

I'm surprised nobody's mentioned the '52 Chrysler wagon that Icon 4x4 put a 6.1 in:

Hot Rod Magazine featured it:

http://www.hotrod.com/featuredvehicles/hrdp_1104_the_derelict_1952_chrysler_town_country/

It was on Jay Leno's Garage:

And Icon's site has some shots of the bare chassis:

http://www.icon4x4.com/dr/derelicts/gallery?c=main

Pretty cool car I think. They kept all the modern engine managment (except cylinder deactivation I think) but put some early Hemi valve covers over the 6.1's coil packs.

I've thought about doing something similar, and might someday. At this point it's becoming so expensive to rebuild an engine, swapping in a modern one is making more and more sense. I'd get a whole donor car from Copart. 2WD truck might be best because it has an intake manifold with the throttle body facing the side rather than straight into the radiator. Icon just kinked the intake to make it fit, which looks pretty restrictive:

hrdp_1104_04_o%2Bthe_derelict_1952_chrys