Swap to new hemi 6.4

my48

How difficult would it be to change over from my flathead to the new hemi 6.4 like in the challenger besides the obvious 12v change, tranny and rear. I guess the question is would it fit?? Probably less weight than the old flathead

Edited by my48

A 340 isn't a bolt in either but should be simpler than the 6.4 which is fully electronic controlled as well as the trans that goes with it.  If you can deal with that, I'm sure there's a way to make it fit.  Expect fabrication with either.  How good are you at making mounts, cutting and welding sheet metal, solving clearance issues?  Not trying to scare you off, but if you're asking, I'd guess this would be first time experience and the 340  would be a better choice to learn  on than the 6.4

I have had 2 340's 1 in a E-Body and 1 in a A-body. Bought my son a 99 R/T Dakota. The 5.9 runs. better I think. The newer heads, fuel injected,overdrive trans. But I still love the 340's. I too have a D24. Though I'm going to keep the flathead.I found a deal on a complete 230 a while back. It had all the Fenton parts on it. Cyl. head,intake, headers, Pulled all the parts I wanted off and recouped the money selling the complet block. Just my 2 cents.

There are plenty of swaps going on with the new engines and all seem to have the electronics intact. A bone stock 5.7 is mighty impressive even a truck.

Do you have enough room? Obviously, the inner fender panels will get modified but the new engines are surely lighter than the L6 so the suspension is not an issue. Steering? The gear box clearance is tight on just about all v-8 swaps so shift the 5.7 to the pass side 1-2" the same as any small block install. Length? No clue on that but a trip to a salvage yard with a tape measure would give you enough numbers to compare to a 318 that you could make an educated guess based on the existing LA swaps.

These forums are for late model stuff but it might help answer some questions:

http://www.forbbodiesonly.com/moparforum/forumdisplay.php?57-New-Hemi-Engine-Swap

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/forumdisplay.php?f=83

You will need to plan on doing a lot of other upgrades along with the new engine but, what a wild ride it should be!

That's such a nice car, I think it would be most cool with the flathead. Would hate to see you tear it up with such a swap....but if you do I won't complain. Might even lurk on the thread if you did that. A small block, or Hemi would be a nice deal in a Dart or Duster...why not do that? Save the '48.

Having said that, I think the 360 is the king of the small blocks. 340 is a great engine, but often over-rated when compared to the 360. Raced a 1964 Barracuda with a 360 for many years, and that same engine is now in my 1972 Dart. But I've also had 360's in more than a couple of trucks. I have a newer truck with the Hemi...it certainly is a powerful engine.

But really, that car is so cool...why not massage the flathead within an inch of it's life? So much more cool to see a flathead when you pop the hood.

Howerver....just my opinion. I'm not an originality freak...but the flatheads are just so cool, and they don't make 'em anymore.

ken.

It just seems like a better fit for that paticular car...but I can appreciate where you are coming from. Don't let me spoil your fun for sure, but it does my heart good to hear you might stick with the flathead.

That had to be a tight fit in the '66, just the 273/318/340/360 is a tight fit in those cars. !!!

ken.

Initially I was considering a 5.2 L with a 46RE trans into my P-15, but just couldn"t get my head around all those electronics : ECM, sensors ( ignition, exhaust, RPM, wheel, etc.), shift controllers etc., so ended up putting in a basic LA 318 with A904 trans . Lots of fabrication but relative simple electronics !!!  Maybe some day ???   Good Luck whichever road you take !!   Cass, alias littlemo...

Edited by littlemo

I have a truck named Little Mo. !!! My three trucks are named Big Mo, Hemi Mo, and Little Mo. !!!

Just another off topic thought.

Electronics are certainly one of my weak points, the other being upholstery. Dealing with "electrics" I can do, but "electronics", nope. I forget who, but the man who swapped the slant six into his car has the right idea I believe. There's a whole world of performance parts for the 225 six, if one wants enough HP to really have fun. I imagine one could easily up the HP of a slant six to that of a stock, or even slightly warmed over 318. Or....I could be wrong.

ken.

I would guess, or be somewhat sure that the width would be about the same as the 8. I think I'd prefer a straight flat six, or the slant six to a V....but that's just me. 

I would be interested in someone fitting one of the Penstar V6 engines with the 8 speed automatic into one of our cars.  The V6 is only 20 inches long but I haven't seen anything on its width.

http://www.pentastars.com/engines/tech.php

you talking about  the new 3.6 ?  i would like to find a 3.9  dakota  carb  motor v6 would be a nice transplant,,,

• 3 months later...

I have a 1948 Plymouth business coupe that I want to put a hemi into eventually. I do have a newer charger that has the v6 and the 8 speed transmission and it would be interesting to see that in an older car as well.

any  size hemi  = $$$$

Hey!!! whatta doing?  You'll scare off customers.... :P

The problem with Hemi engines is that very few hot rodders will stop with a stock-ish rebuild. We put a 392 together for a customer and part of the invoice was over $1500 in chrome and aluminum...

Hi My 48:

I am right in the middle of having my 41's Flat L changed out with a 318.  Manual 4 speed tranny, electronic ignition,650 holley, etc.   I am having a pro do it for me. (at least most of it).  Right on with the "move it over to the right" advice.  You can get the entire mount kit (front and rear) from Butch's Cool Stuff (about $179), hugger headers around $199, mini starter for $84.  Radiator can stay in stock location, but the stock 318 fan does not clear.  Electric 16" fan about $60.   My donor car is a Dodge Demon.  I am using that rear end.  Also, because of the 4 speed manual tranny, the clutch arm is going to conflict with the stock brake and clutch pedals.  I'm going with the overhead pedals from the Demon.  Some minor cuts to the floor pan but otherwise going ok.  The mechanic is moving the alternator to the left side for more clearance.  It will sit about in the location of the stock battery.  That is now (12 volt) and is going in the trunk of this business coupe.

I included those prices to give you an idea of some of the parts costs.  Based on the excellent advice from Forum Members, I took about two days to track down parts for the swap.  If you need some of those sources, drop me a PM

dick