mrwrstory

Not graceful but a start.  It's too long and I've edited down but can't figger how to save the revised file.

Hope this link works.  If it doesn't, I'm going to the garage to bend something,.... :angry: 

new link to abbreviated video........still have no idea what I'm doing

th_installvideo_zps2924c6ca.jpg

Edited by mrwrstory

Ever wonder why nobody ever invented something besides that bent piece of square stock to wrench a ring compressor?

Those ring compressors were invented by the devil!  Several pistons took three tries to install.  And then of course you worry if you've broken a ring in the process.

I ditched that style compressor years ago in favor of this style from Snap-On. Fast, easy to use, never regretted the purchase.

post-755-0-45820200-1399245744_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Okay folks, you know about "the committee" right.  You know,...it wakes you up in the middle of the night and says, "we gotta talk",...let's review,....ya know the widget you're gonna build in the morning.  Are you sure bend left, why not bend right? be blue or green? aluminum or steel? .060 or .093,...yadda de yadda de yadda!... and ya loose at lease an hour of sleep mulling all that stuff.

Well about 3:00am last night they suggested I do a little video of me marking TDC on the new harmonic balancer for the Hemi.  Of course I wasn't quite ready for that task but we discussed it anyway,....for way too long.  The committee convinced me that it was just an hour deal.  Ya right!.....and besides I knew it would take me 3-4 hours just to figger how to capture the video and get it on line.   Yet, as usual, I always underestimate things  :( 

Well long story short, never got the video done. Got a few video clips but ran into a coupla snags.  The harmonic balancer didn't want to seat on the crank snout and I had a very un-nerving "catch" while rotating the crank,...kinda a metal to metal, over center, feel while turning with the breaker bar.

Got the balancer resolved with a little honing and careful heat,....one more hour.  

Turns out, much to my relief, that the rear counter-weight was making contact with the oil pump,....which is an easy fix.

I did get the timing pointer done.

IMG_7203_zpsf282c22a.jpg

-

IMG_7250_zpsed433a77.jpg

-

And tomorrow I will address the interference at the oil pump.

IMG_7255_zps1910135f.jpg

• Like 1

Ugh, I know all about "the committee", mine has been wanting to discuss color choices for the '40 sedan for many months now. Their latest tactic has been to call the meetings to order around 5 am knowing that I can't possibly put them off and get back to sleep within an hour. That leaves the only choice to get up have breakfast early and got out to the shop and start block sanding before going to work which only get me closer to having to choose a color.  :D Glad the metal on metal catch turned out to be easy fix. Nice and simple pointer looks like your committee is doing it's job well...just have to inform it of your business hours. If you ever figure out how to do that...let me know.

Looks like fun. Suggest you organize your hardware and save 2 steps B) 

I love it. Video proof of how useful a hellbox can be!

Seems like using a magnetic base and a dial indicator on the piston would be faster and just as accurate for finding TDC.

Yes, it would if I had one!  ;)  

Edited by mrwrstory

That's the correct method for finding true TDC.  It can also be done with the dial indicator using the same principle.  Just using  the dial and no movement  on it can give you a false TDC because there can be several degrees of crank movement when near TDC with no dial movement as it changes direction from pushing the piston up to pulling it down.

I haven't heard the term 'hellbox".  I assume it refers to the nut 'n' bolt collection.  :confused:  

correct. I will see if I can find the source. I believe I have it at home.

Hellbox
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to: navigation, search
200px-Metal_movable_type.jpg
magnify-clip.png
Movable type on a composing stick on a type drawer.

A hellbox is a receptacle where cast metal sorts are thrown after printing.[1] The job of sorting the type from the hellbox and putting it back into the job case was given to the apprentice, known as a printer's devil. Later, when continuous casting or hot-metal typesetting machines such as the Linotype machine and Monotype became popular, the hellbox was used for storing discarded or broken type that were melted down and recast.

• Like 1

Problem is a magnet will not stick to the aluminum pistons :cool:

Block is iron and the magnetic base should work on that and then the arm/pin on the dial indicator set such that the top of the piston travel can be measured.

Tod, I was poking fun.

Kinda sorta thought that but was not sure. . .

In '33, when Plymouth had cam ground aluminum pistons, the Chevy engine had cast iron pistons. I guess you could put the magnetic base on the pistons in that case. Have to have a very big range on your dial indicator though. :)